1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

NFL Draft Insider News & Notes for the Week of 11-15

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Nov 16, 2010.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,104 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=3610

Additional Senior Bowl invitations have gone out to both Boise State receivers, Titus Young and Austin Pettis. We previously told you that Wisconsin tackle Gabe Carimi received an invitation. If Carimi decides to travel to Mobile in January he’ll be joined by teammates guard/center John Moffitt and tight end Lance Kendricks, who have also been invited. Other receivers/tight ends that have been invited include Niles Paul of Nebraska and Richard Gordon from Miami.

- The running backs invited to the Senior Bowl include West Virginia’s Noel Devine, Evan Royster from Penn State and Miami’s Graig Cooper.

- We are hearing two offensive linemen are building momentum in the scouting community. Mississippi State center J.C. Brignone, graded as a priority free agent at season’s start, is getting a lot of long looks from zone blocking teams. Baylor’s Danny Watkins was given a middle round grade and has played so well many think he could end up as a top 100 pick. Watkins is a terrific story as the 26-year old never played football in high school and was a fireman in Canada before latching on to Butte College where he developed into an All American lineman.

- There is more chatter coming out of USC that offensive tackle Tyron Smith will enter the draft. He is likely to be a top 15 pick and the first tackle drafted.
  2. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    I know he's supposed to be a great athlete, but I find it hard to believe that a 285 lbs. offensive tackle goes with a top 15 pick unless he goes to a zone blocking scheme.
  3. Chris in Arizona

Chris in Arizona I am Death

3,777 Messages
    581 Likes Received
    I wasn't originally that big on Tyron Smith when he first won the starting job last year as a sophomore, but he is having a great year. I know the guy who charts the individual USC players and he has him grading out at 98 percent so far which is amazing for an offensive lineman.

He is very athletic and has long arms which helps make up for him being a little light. With the improvement I expect us to make under Garrett, I could see us drafting closer to the middle of the 1st round and he could be our guy.

[IMG]
  4. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I like Austin Pettis and Titus Young.

Pettis would be a great mid-round talent IMO, especially if we were looking for a do-it-all special teams WR to replace Hurd for any reason.

Young is in the mold of DeSean Jackson, Mike Wallace, Jacoby Ford; a smallish type big play burner with return ability.
  5. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    I wouldn't mind Kris O'Dowd in the 3rd or 4th round at all.
  6. Chris in Arizona

3,777 Messages
    581 Likes Received
    No thanks. He's from Tucson.

Just kidding.

Yep, he's a good kid and if the injury concerns are behind him he'll be starting center in the NFL for many years.
  7. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    yea if we can get him that late

I think he will climb the boards
  8. Bigdog

Bigdog Well-Known Member

1,591 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    Anyone know about the Ohio St. center (forgot his name) but I read he is very good. Any news about him coming out because I think he is a junior.
  9. Chris in Arizona

3,777 Messages
    581 Likes Received
    Michael Brewster 6-5/293... true Junior.. 3-year starter at Center
    [IMG]
  10. Bigdog

Bigdog Well-Known Member

1,591 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    Thanks. What round is he projected in if he comes out? I read where he could be early 2nd. Anyone seen him play?
  11. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    this is a 2012 projection - I watch Ohio St just never focused on him

but will when they play Iowa

Michael Brewster, C, Ohio State
    Height: 6-5. Weight: 293.
    Projected 40 Time: 5.08.
    Projected Round (2012): 1-2.
  12. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,831 Messages
    1,683 Likes Received
    A little light anymore for a center. With some of the really big NTs out there he might be in trouble. Step was able to get it done with superb leverage skills but that is very rare. And coming from OSU its not like he is going to be able to pack much more weight on.
  13. dmq

dmq If I'm so pretty, why am I available?

6,863 Messages
    222 Likes Received
    None of these OLmen will be available to us because we will project them a round later than where they will go.
  14. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,172 Messages
    335 Likes Received
    If Brewster comes out, he'll be the top center taken imo. And as far as adding weight goes, Mangold's weight his senior year was 296 and by the combine he was 300 and is now 307.
  15. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    I think Stefen Wisniewski has got a lock on the #1 center spot.
  16. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,172 Messages
    335 Likes Received
    Brewster has better measurables, is a better athlete and has more starts at center than Wisniewski. I think Wisniewski will be the top senior interior lineman, but Brewster will likely take over the #1 spot