1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

NFL | League looking at several changes in rules... including horse collar

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Mar 5, 2006.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

66,658 Messages
    6,398 Likes Received
    Sun, 5 Mar 2006 05:43:01 -0800

Bob Glauber, of Newsday, reports the NFL competition committee is reviewing the league's rule around end-zone celebrations. There is concern among committee members that these celebrations are lasting too long. Players can celebrate as long as it doesn't involve teammates, but the duration may be limited to less than what it is now.

Also, there is concern about an increase in taunting incidents that are not called.

The committee is also reviewing quarterback hits. There is some feeling among competition committee members that all hits below the knee on quarterbacks should be penalized. Currently, defensive players are not allowed to go directly at a quarterback's knees, but can tackle him below the knees if the defender is coming off a block.

The committee is looking again at the horse-collar tackle rule and may tighten it up even more.

Finally, as previously reported, the committee is looking at the "down by contact" rule and my allow replays on plays that involve a player being down by contact.
  2. Erik_H

Erik_H Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun. Zone Supporter

2,447 Messages
    77 Likes Received

Ugh, call that the Kimo von Oelhoften rule.

You can't tackle a WR by the shoulder pads. You can't tackle a QB around his legs.

Just keeps gettin lmaer and lamer.
  3. koolaid

koolaid Drink Me

1,766 Messages
    75 Likes Received
    preetty soon there wont be any big hits, just big "2 hand touches"
  4. ka0tik

ka0tik DALLAS

2,871 Messages
    56 Likes Received
    sure...they should start makin' TACKLING illegal...:rolleyes:
  5. JackMagist

JackMagist The Great Communicator

5,726 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Good idea...if the defense isn't allowed to tackle it would really increase the scoring and that is what fans really want to see :rolleyes:
  6. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,996 Messages
    1,090 Likes Received
    Maybe each player could wear a velcro belt with flags attached. When an opponent pulls the flags off the player is down. Genius I tell you!
  7. onetrickpony

onetrickpony Member

725 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    "Brilliant!"

:lmao2: :laugh2: :bow: :laugh1:
  8. cwbyfan72

cwbyfan72 Active Member

892 Messages
    43 Likes Received
    Yes, tighten up the horse-collar rule. I mean it was called so many times last season:rolleyes:
  9. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I agree, these protect-the-QB rules are getting out of contreol. Pretty soon the new slogan will be "Welcome to the National Flag-football League. :rolleyes:

Unbelievable!
    AF
  10. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,946 Messages
    3,458 Likes Received
    I agree it makes the NFL look like a joke. You want to watch real football then watch college they still allow the players to play the game as it was meant to be played
  11. trentmonster

trentmonster Member

83 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I bet the "new and improved" horse-collar rule will include more definitive terms like "only enforceable on players wearing blue and silver uniforms that contain the numbers 3 and 1".

Also, I like that the NFL wants to add even more gray area type rules. I guess Seattle made the Superbowl a little to close for their liking. Maybe they will add the "illegal tackle 'cause we didn't want him to get tackled" rule in honor of Matt Hasselbeck! :)

/conspiracy theory rant off
  12. clayman

clayman New Member

272 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    They rarely called it on Roy or in general.
  13. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,199 Messages
    1,239 Likes Received
    Roy was never called for a horsecollar.

My guess is that the points they'll look at are having to grab the pads and pulling him down immediately.

There were 2 times where many thought Roy had a horsecollar (against Tiki and Portis) and the NFL said they weren't because he didn't pull them down to the ground immediately.

I saw it happen a lot and like I've said before, I didn't see anybody get injured from the play this past season. It's really an overrated hype to the reasoning of the rule.

Rich.......