1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: NFL: NFL's top 10 receiving corps; Atlanta Falcons rank No. 1

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by CowboysYanksLakers, Jul 16, 2013.

1. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,035 Messages
    453 Likes Received
    NFL's top 10 receiving corps; Atlanta Falcons rank No. 1
    • [IMG]
    • [IMG]
      [IMG]
    • By Chris Wesseling
    • Around the League Writer
    • Published: July 16, 2013 at 03:48 p.m.
    • Updated: July 16, 2013 at 10:40 p.m.

3. Dallas Cowboys: Dez Bryant, Miles Austin, Dwayne Harris, Terrance Williams, Jason Witten, James Hanna, Gavin Escobar

Bryant took advantage of a soft schedule and a bevy of shootouts down the stretch, but it's still impressive that his final eight games project to 1,758 yards and 20 touchdowns across a full season. He's here to stay as a No. 1 receiver. Austin can be one of the league's top second fiddles as long as he can put his hamstring issues behind him. Witten hasn't missed a game in nine years.

Read more here: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...ons-rank-no-1?campaign=Facebook_atl_wesseling
  2. mldardy

mldardy Well-Known Member

6,367 Messages
    524 Likes Received
    A soft schedule?
  3. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,459 Messages
    2,154 Likes Received
    Fair ranking, IMO.

Roddy White is much better than he's usually given credit for.
  4. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,499 Messages
    1,279 Likes Received
    Redskins not even listed in the top 20 despite wunderkind being behind center....love it....

these rankings seem fair, although I believe Dallas has a better overall (more) group than Atlanta...and, while the Broncos group is good, they only get that ranking based on their QB, IMO
    Wheeltax likes this.
  5. GroundUp

GroundUp Member

218 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    I'm ok with the ranking, I believe it is about accurate. If miles can stay healthy and the TE's get incorporated as expected with the 12 offense I can see us being ranked #1 at years end. For now though Julio and Roddy are a cut above. I agree with Fredd about Denver though, Peyton drives that ranking up.
  6. VACowboy

VACowboy Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,604 Messages
    92 Likes Received
    Eight of the top-10 reside in the NFC, and three of those eight hail from the East. Cool.
  7. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

2,662 Messages
    1,157 Likes Received
    It's a pretty perfect ranking. That doesn't usually happen. Kudos to Chris Wesseling for not trying to stir things up with an absurd misplacement.

I think ATL is far and away the best. No other team has two top 10 WRs, let alone a Top 5 (Top 3?) TE legend on their team.

And Thomas and Dez are close, Decker had a really good year whereas Austin has been hurt a lot, and Welker kind of offsets Witten as well-- Easily the best trio of WRs in the league at the moment, which is enough for me to have them at #2.
  8. tantrix1969

tantrix1969 Well-Known Member

952 Messages
    426 Likes Received
    Best rankings I've seen, ATL deserves to be 1st and think they are even more deadly with SJax who is a very capable pass catcher(yes I'm still mad we passed on him)
  9. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,035 Messages
    453 Likes Received
    I agree, it is a very fair ranking....
  10. LeonDixson

LeonDixson Illegitimi non carborundum

9,608 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    I agree with all you who agree it is a fair ranking.
    cannonball44 likes this.
  11. ravidubey

ravidubey Active Member

4,864 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    He's talking about KC Joyner's CB rankings. Bryant faced a flukishly large number of poor corners in most of his games last year.
  12. 187beatdown

187beatdown Lack of Big Plays

3,555 Messages
    439 Likes Received
    I think that's a pretty generous ranking for us, I would probably go a few spots lower, but overall it's a very good list.
  13. dstovall5

dstovall5 Well-Known Member

2,403 Messages
    1,490 Likes Received
    For the top 5 I think you could swap 3,4, and 5 around a bit, though I think 1 and 2 are solidified. After this year, if Escobar and Williams pan out then I think we could have the best receiving corps over Atlanta.
  14. dfense

dfense Well-Known Member

2,545 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    I agree, but it's funny that a record breaking year at TE and he's just a "hasn't missed a game" guy.
  15. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

14,835 Messages
    2,045 Likes Received
    Seeing the Cowboys were number 3 before I clicked on the link, I was ready to raise all sorts of Cain because I expected the Giants to be ranked number 2. My urge to raise Cain remains, but I don't know anything about the Broncos receiving corp. I'm NFC-centric to an absurd degrees. The Pats and Colts could be playing on CBS while the Cardinals and Bucs were playing on FOX, and I'd probably spend at least as much time on FOX as CBS.
  16. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

2,662 Messages
    1,157 Likes Received
    Well I'm sure you've heard of Welker and are aware that he's one of the best slot receivers, if not the best in the league.

Match him up with two 6'3" 215 lb+ guys on the outside...

Demaryius Thomas: 94 Rec 1,434 yds 10 TDs
    Eric Decker: 85 Rec 1,064 yds 13 TDs

And one could imagine that they'll probably be pretty successful.

Thomas is of course their main guy, and at this point I think it's fair to put him in the same category as Dez, just for reference sake.

On a separate note, I'm with you. The AFC is boring.
    ScipioCowboy likes this.
  17. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

14,835 Messages
    2,045 Likes Received
    I'm not so out of the AFC loop that I don't know Wes Welker. :D

What you say makes perfect sense.

I have no idea why the AFC is so boring. Most of the perennially great teams in the modern NFL are in the AFC. Perhaps it's Phil Simms droning voice?
  18. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,657 Messages
    2,031 Likes Received
    Looks reasonable to me.

I think when they included TEs, that boosted us above the Giants.
  19. raichledog

raichledog Member

155 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    I don't disagree with the rankings, BUT I think Dez is better than Julio and Witten is better than Gonzales. Granted Roddy is a stud, and far more durable than Miles and that's the difference maker. If all 6 stay healthy though, I take ours over theirs... JMHO

Oh, and I take Romo over Ryan too.
  20. JohnsKey19

JohnsKey19 Well-Known Member

6,162 Messages
    267 Likes Received
    3 is fair. Austin's production and rep around the league has taken a hit the past few seasons. If he is able to stay healthy and consistent, the overall receiving corps could match Atlanta for that #1 spot.