1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

NFL Penalizing Salary Cap for Cowboys and Redskins

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by ajk23az, Mar 12, 2012.

1. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

15,017 Messages
    502 Likes Received
    Austin's Year 2 base salary was $8.54 million.
  2. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,234 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    Goodell is a human buzzkill
  3. SkinsFan82

SkinsFan82 Member

286 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    How much were the Cowboys under the cap prior to this garbage?

Just curious, while the Redskins got hit *huge*, I was wondering which team it will impact more.
  4. The Quest for Six

The Quest for Six Well-Known Member

6,760 Messages
    573 Likes Received
    cowboys can split the 10 million over the next two years, 2012 ,2013
  5. bkight13

bkight13 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,409 Messages
    703 Likes Received
    Note to self: Remember to wait until Adam replies
  6. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,647 Messages
    1,182 Likes Received
    This honestly makes me almost not want to even watch the NFL this year. If I wasn't such a Cowboys fan I can honestly say I'd likely not watch a single game this season.

There's a great chance I won't watch any of them outside of Cowboys games this year though.
  7. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Adam you don't make it easy to keep a cool head. lol
  8. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton it was the grave marked unknown right beside

6,475 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    What'd they do wrong? Well, they apparently violated no actual rule but rather a behind-the-scenes guideline designed to keep the uncapped year from truly being uncapped.

While the 2010 season was an uncapped year, the NFL told teams not to use that as a means of eating up portions of long-term contracts in order to reduce cap room in future years. The Redskins and Cowboys and, to a lesser extent, the Raiders and Saints, were found to have done just this. As a result, not only do they lose this money, but every NFL team other than Oakland and New Orleans gets an additional $1.6 million in cap room. (The Saints and Raiders aren't docked any cap room, they just don't get to share in what the Redskins and Cowboys have to give back.)

This seems a pretty ridiculous thing for the league to do. Either the year is uncapped or it's not. To tell teams, "Yeah, it's uncapped, but don't spend too much this year just because of that, or we'll fine you for it down the road" feels a little bit like collusion to me. But this is the NFL, which does what it wants and makes up the rules as it goes along. The Cowboys and the Redskins surely know that, and the fact that they were the only two teams found to have engaged egregiously enough in this behavior to deserve a huge loss of salary-cap space indicates that they should have known better. I mean, when you're found to be dirtier than the Raiders and the Saints, you kind of have to look in the mirror and re-think the way you're doing business.

Read more:http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/54985/cowboys-redskins-punished-but-why?
  9. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received

This and 15 other examples will be why this would not pass muster in court. The question is do the Cowboys and Redskins want to bother being painted as outlaws.

The other side of this is we waited to cut veterans when the bonus accelerated onto the cap. Had we done it in 2010 like many teams, we would have very little dead money. It seems to me that with the dead money we have by respecting the rules, we are being penalized on both ends.
  10. numnuts23

numnuts23 Active Member

2,062 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Yup,was backing down from the edge, and now I'm cannon balling off the side
  11. Double Trouble

Double Trouble Well-Known Member

8,475 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    PFT:

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the teams were told “at least six times” during ownership-level meetings that there would be “serious consequences” for any team that used the uncapped year as an occasion to dump salaries.

The Cowboys and Redskins engaged in “systematic dumping” of salaries into the uncapped year, despite the warnings.
  12. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,550 Messages
    1,417 Likes Received
    No, more to the point they want a cut.
  13. boysfanindc

boysfanindc Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,022 Messages
    425 Likes Received
    Don't believe it was about dumping it was about front loading.
  14. The Emperor

The Emperor Marcus Aurelius Maximus

3,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Aren't we the only expansion team that didn't get to participate in the draft prior to their inaugural season?

Yeah, so, I'm not shocked what the NFL does to us. You can blame Jerry Jones or fake moon landings if you like, but we've been unfairly singled out at times going back to 1960. History doesn't repeat; it rhymes.
  15. firehawk350

firehawk350 Active Member

2,108 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If you include the tag for Spencer, you get something like $5M. Obviously, the Cowboys can opt to take the entire $10M in 2013 and they'd still have room to sign guys...

The Skins had $47M and if they take their lumps now, they'd end up with $11M in space (they just cut Atogwe and Sellers which supposedly freed up a couple mil). If the Skins distribute the hits equally, obviously there's ~$30M in cap space which is more than enough to do quite a bit without gutting the team or making knee-jerk restructure decisions.
  16. BRAVEONAWARPATH

BRAVEONAWARPATH Member

48 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    https://twitter.com/#!/adbrandt

17. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,206 Messages
    1,248 Likes Received
    Where is the legitimate 'systematic dumping' of salaries by Dallas?

:rolleyes:

YR
  18. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    Julius Peppers had a base salary of 20M.

It then dropped to 900K.

Now it's at 8.9M

How does that not count?
  19. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,234 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    So what do you make of all this Adam?
  20. Double Trouble

Double Trouble Well-Known Member

8,475 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    Just quoting Florio. I think its safe to say he knows more about it than any of us.