1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

NFL seeking to sell some Thursday games to another network

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jan 13, 2014.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,020 Messages
    5,500 Likes Received
    Posted by Mike Wilkening on January 13, 2014, 1:37 AM EST

According to Richard Sandomir of The New York Times, the Thursday night games potentially sold would be early in the season, and the league was seeking to sell between six and eight of 13 games it airs on NFL Network.

NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy told The Associated Press that the league was in talks “to air a part of the package with existing and potentially new broadcast and cable partners.”

McCarthy told the AP that NFL Network would continue to air games.

More: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-sell-some-thursday-games-to-another-network/
  2. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,020 Messages
    5,500 Likes Received
  3. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,244 Messages
    2,669 Likes Received
    Hopefully this is a sign of the future and they sell them all to Fox and CBS.
  4. Fmart322

Fmart322 Active Member

957 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    Nothing gets wasted by the NFL. They'll squeeze every penny out of the shield. They should take the money and pay for better officials.
    arglebargle and Zordon like this.
  5. ftghb

ftghb Active Member

156 Messages
    82 Likes Received
    same old nfl. wanted 18 games, why? More $. expanded playoffs, why? More $$ Keep negotiating exclusive licensing agreements, why? more $$$. Goodell wants football on every night, why? $$$$
    Duane likes this.
  6. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Zone Supporter

28,241 Messages
    1,758 Likes Received
    Fixed.
  7. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

9,734 Messages
    5,130 Likes Received
    which is why the owners love goodell. the guy is a company man through n through.
  8. bkight13

bkight13 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,370 Messages
    652 Likes Received
    More and more revenue and the cap will keep going up. I like the idea of more football on regular TV, not just the NFL Network. Instead of adding 2 more games to the season, they should just add a second bye week and try to schedule teams that play on Thurs night a bye week prior to that game so its not the short week everyone is complaining about.
  9. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,103 Messages
    4,297 Likes Received
    I would LOVE an additional Thursday night game if for no other reason to have a choice of games to watch or flip between. Then again, I'd like to see 2 Sunday night games and doubleheader Sundays on CBS and Fox each Sunday. You give me more chances/choices to watch and I will. Bring it!
  10. trueblue1687

trueblue1687 Well-Known Member

1,672 Messages
    29 Likes Received

It's called professional football for a reason...I'll add the fifth: $$$$$
  11. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,169 Messages
    1,521 Likes Received
    Doesn't that mean they're looking to move those games, rather than add new ones?

The only reason I can think that they would do this is because, for one, lots of people still don't get NFLN and, for two, some of the games were so crappy this year that nobody watched them. They'd rather get money from another network than worry about not making any money on those games/
    Fritsch_the_cat likes this.
  12. Offsides

Offsides New Member

28 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I think I'd rather watch the big Bang Theory and 2-1/2 Men so let's hope CBS does not ruin their Thursday night lineup for quality of games that have been produced on Thursday nights.
  13. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,244 Messages
    2,669 Likes Received
    Honestly I would rather see Sunday Ticket distributed to all television providers before this, by the way. Wishful thinking, though, I imagine.
  14. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,290 Messages
    556 Likes Received
    football EVEEEEERY NIGHT NOW. woo hoo.

the next idea of the NFL
  15. jwitten82

jwitten82 Active Member

617 Messages
    89 Likes Received
    Good, the Nfl network has some horrible broadcasters.
    Little Jr likes this.
  16. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

9,133 Messages
    770 Likes Received
    I don't get the NFL Network, so I'd love for the NFL to bid out that Thursday night package completely. That experiment needs to die.
  17. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

14,686 Messages
    2,354 Likes Received
    I got Time Warner Cable and they dont even offer NFL Network in my service area, so I either have to go to a sports bar or just catch the highlights on sportscenter.
  18. PA Cowboy Fan

PA Cowboy Fan Well-Known Member

1,819 Messages
    1,266 Likes Received
    I don't even watch that many of the Thursday night games. They just aren't that great.
  19. 03EBZ06

03EBZ06 Need2Speed

7,979 Messages
    411 Likes Received
    Well, NFL is a business and the entity is trying to maximize the profit, so I see nothing wrong with it.
  20. Venger

Venger Well-Known Member

2,469 Messages
    393 Likes Received
    Because maximizing the profit is going to come at the expense of diluting the product's value. There is too much of a good thing. Whatever your favorite food is, you will get sick of it if you eat it at every meal. Familiarity breeds contempt. At some point, what's on television will go from "it's a football game" to "it's just a football game". This lot seems to want to find that point...