1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: NFLN spokesman: Romo’s omission from top 100 players raises more eyebrows than any other

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jul 1, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,309 Messages
    4,270 Likes Received
    By Barry Horn / Reporter
    bhorn@dallasnews.com

NFL Network’s 2013 poll that asked players to vote for the best of their contemporaries has come and gone with no mention of Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo among the league’s top 100 players.

After finishing 72nd in 2011 and 91st last year, Romo was shutout this season. He joins the San Diego Chargers Phillip Rivers as the only quarterbacks to fall from such grace. Rivers’ descent was steeper. He was No. 26 two years ago, No. 61 last year and an afterthought on the most recent list that was finalized with this week’s unveiling of the top 10.

Alex Riethmiller, a spokesman for NFL Network, said no omission raised more eyebrows and received more reaction than Romo’s. New Orleans Saints tight end Jimmy Graham, who averaged 94 receptions and 10 touchdowns over the last two seasons, has been a distant second.

Read the rest: http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2...ers-raises-more-eyebrows-than-any-other.html/
    ringmaster likes this.
  2. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,524 Messages
    1,523 Likes Received
    i have no interest in this list, since alot of players have been on record saying they didnt vote and dont know of any players who did vote. This was a joke of a list.
    ringmaster likes this.
  3. tantrix1969

tantrix1969 Well-Known Member

949 Messages
    425 Likes Received
    Not sure which is the bigger fail, Romo and Graham being left off the list, or an average at best te in Pitta making it
    ringmaster likes this.
  4. AmberBeer

AmberBeer Benched

2,996 Messages
    1,046 Likes Received
    I think the CowboyZone Romo haters commisioned this list to somehow try and justify their stance.
    ringmaster likes this.
  5. Sportsbabe

Sportsbabe Well-Known Member

4,778 Messages
    477 Likes Received
  6. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,471 Messages
    5,222 Likes Received
    Given that Tony's publicly said on more than on occasion that he, Wit, Ware, Austin, etc have never seen the list people are voting from, I wouldn't be shocked if the Dallas PR team didn't even circulate it. Going way out on a limb, it might even be the case that they like the press he gets from not making the list more than they'd like it if he were on it and someplace in the 50s....
    ringmaster and Erik_H like this.
  7. 03EBZ06

03EBZ06 Need2Speed

7,979 Messages
    411 Likes Received
    I don't pay much of attention to top whatever, but to say Romo isn't top 100 player is a joke.
  8. Erik_H

Erik_H Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun. Zone Supporter

2,433 Messages
    67 Likes Received
    You may have a point. If they (meaning the Cowboys) like press Romo gets for not making the list is a possible conclusion, then I'd say that the buzz NFLN gets for having Romo not listed is something the NFLN loves!
  9. Hussein

Hussein Member

131 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    The methodology for this thing is just stupid.
  10. viman96

viman96 Thread Killer

6,778 Messages
    351 Likes Received
    28% of the NFL players voted. IMO that is not a big enough representation of what the players think to have a top 100.
  11. Idgit

29,471 Messages
    5,222 Likes Received
    I don't know if it's true for sure, but we've discussed in earlier threads that, even then, the players are only naming their top-20 players, and there's enough variance in that list to get to 100. Who knows how they're handling the rankings in the event of a tie. You might have 20-30 players in such a scenario with a single vote. And the list may break in such a way that some of them make the top 100 and some of them don't.

Either way, this list is like a puppet show or a episode of Blue's Clues. It's something to delight and entertain small children. You're not supposed to notice the strings or figure out the clues ahead of time. You're supposed to watch it and clap. Like the Skins fans did when they're one-legged rookie made the top 15, or whatever it was.
  12. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,025 Messages
    452 Likes Received
    Romo's omission was a crime...
  13. viman96

viman96 Thread Killer

6,778 Messages
    351 Likes Received
    Not sure either but 28% is based on numbers from the article.
  14. jchocolate82

jchocolate82 Member

678 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    The list should Honestly be voted on by scouts and coaches... The list would at least have more credibility than
    ringmaster likes this.
  15. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,604 Messages
    1,622 Likes Received
    It's a ridiculous list. Then again, today's thuggish, illiterate athletes can barely read the names on the list, so what was expected here?
    ringmaster likes this.
  16. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,586 Messages
    1,990 Likes Received
    28% isn't terrible.

Still, some glaring flaws are:
    • Players can vote for themselves (so just one guy voting himself #1 nearly gets him into the top 100 based on the sample rate and assuming he at least gets a few other votes)
    • They only voted for the top 20. That really raises flags on guys like Dennis Pita--it would would mean at least one person (prob more) voted him in the top 20 players i the whole league). On the other hand, it's easy to see how Romo (for example) would not be voted in someone's top 20. You can't recevie any votes for this fake top 100 list unless at least a few people (probably several) vote you in their top 20.
    • Cronyism
    ringmaster likes this.
  17. Idgit

29,471 Messages
    5,222 Likes Received
    I wasn't sure you could vote for yourself or your own teammates. Again, given that Tony has said on more than one occasion that the Cowboys he's talked to haven't been asked to vote on this list, you're probably missing out on several votes for players like Tony, Witten, Dez, and Ware who otherwise might be a lot higher. 4-5 votes in that scenario likely make a ton of difference.

Not to mention what I said above: when votes in the bottom 50 are likely separated by ones and twos...in the event of a tie, who makes the list? What if you have 10 guys knotted up at the bottom of the top 100 with 2 or 3 votes each? How do you separate? You go with the most interesting story.
  18. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

20,765 Messages
    1,607 Likes Received
    I don't care if the players did vote - these lists are meaningless. I've never paid attention to them. Will Romo being in the top 100 make him play better? No. Just play the game already.
    PA Cowboy Fan likes this.
  19. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

49,229 Messages
    3,566 Likes Received
    Making this list ranks up there with getting voted into the pro bowl.
  20. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,327 Messages
    379 Likes Received
    I give list voted on by players much more weight than list created by fans and media.