1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

NHL Lockout Thread– Maybe...

Discussion in 'Sports Zone' started by MichaelWinicki, Aug 23, 2012.

1. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

30,042 Messages
    1,256 Likes Received
    As of right now I'm not feeling confident the season is going to start on time.

Seems like there is a massive difference between what the league wants and the NHLPA wants. And after taking it in the shorts on the last agreement, I'm not sure the players are going to buckle (much) this time around.

What do you say?
  2. Real1st

Real1st Nikola Tesla

4,835 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If they want to continue building on their success a deal will get done.

If not then the league just got set back another 10 years and will NEVER recover.
  3. StarBoyz83

StarBoyz83 Well-Known Member

2,658 Messages
    219 Likes Received
    Let em lock out. Hockey sucks
  4. Derekmtl85

Derekmtl85 Member

530 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Might want to grow up a bit. Only teens feel the need to troll on websites.

As for the OP, their will be a lock-out, alot of sources saying it will end in january though.

Still sucks.
  5. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

18,988 Messages
    4,154 Likes Received
    Players always buckle. Because they can least afford missing time.
  6. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

14,927 Messages
    247 Likes Received
    As Jim Rome says, saying something "sucks" is not a take.

The players took it up the pipe last negotiation and caved in re a salary cap so they won't want to cave in this time.

The owners want them to take what amounts to a 30% pay cut whereas the players want the owners to share their wealth.

The problem with the NHL is that with the CDN and US dollar at parity now, the percentage of league revenue from the seven CDN based teams is about 35-40%. Revenue is going well but there are the poor weak parasites in the Nascar division, along with Phoenix, and Nashville that drag it all down.

The NHL does not have a salary problem, or even a revenue problem, it has a unequal distribution of revenue problem. The weak sisters cannot meet the cap floor which keeps rising due to the revenue giants bringing in huge coin.

The players want the owners to share their revenue but of course the big revenue teams like Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver, New York et al do not want to share more than they already do.

I don't see it getting done by September 15.
  7. Derekmtl85

Derekmtl85 Member

530 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    On the flip side, they can actually play in the european leagues and still get paid, while the owners don't get any advertissement money/merchandise/ticket sales, etc.

But either way, i agree with you, the players will finally compromise in the end.

But some think it will last until january.
  8. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

18,988 Messages
    4,154 Likes Received
    It could be a shortened season. I doubt it's a lost season. If that were to happen, it'll only erase the gains the sport has made since the last lockout.
  9. Derekmtl85

Derekmtl85 Member

530 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    That's why i said it will last until christmas/january at the worst.

The NHL does NOT want to lose the winter classic. It's going to play a big role in getting the NHL back and making sure it's not a complete season lock-out.

------

There is a chance the NHL will not start up play until late December, according to a report. The NHL and the NHLPA have been working to come to a deal on a new collective bargaining agreement that works for both sides, but so far they have been far apart in their negotiations.

Here is what one agent said in a recent CSN New England article about when he believes a deal could be reached:

"I don't think we're going to be playing anytime soon," said the agent. "My best case is Christmas. It looks grim right now. (Commissioner Gary) Bettman is overreaching. He had a chance to get the players believing he wanted a partnership. Instead he wants a return to feudalism."

Other reports have indicated the season may begin around Thanksgiving, while others believe a New Year's Day start date is a possibility as well. Players across the league want to get the season started on time, but the financial aspects of the league may prevent that from happening.
  10. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

40,193 Messages
    776 Likes Received
    both Hockey and the NBA have seasons too long. Basket ball should be December to march and then the playoffs until late APril or early May

Hockey should be December to March and then the playoffs as well.

The NHL has never recovered from the last lockout; this one will make them a minor sport
  11. Mash

Mash Active Member

4,061 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Been a Leaf fan all my life....

Hockey in Canada is like football in the southern states....

This lockout wont get done before Christmas IMHO

The Owners got the salary cap last time but the players got the better of the deal overall IMHO.

The NHL just wants to be like the other big sports and have this revenue sharing adjusted.

For me....I hope the owners win.....we have average players making 5 mil a year. The NHL is so watered down now.....its pathetic.

What I hated the most was how some teams.....are handing out these bogus 10-12 yr contracts....just so they can cheat against the cap. Most teams cant shell out that much money.

I really hope that gets adjusted......you have to keep a even playing field for all teams.

I understand its just about a bunch of rich people fighting over money....and I really hope they can come to a agreement.....but the way it sounds and how both leaders on each side love to stike or have a lockout........I cant see a agreement anytime soon.

Its sad really.....
  12. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    You are a very negative person. You just pop in a thread and start hating on stuff without adding anything of value. This and prior to this you just busted in the 2015 Mustang to just point out that you think Mustangs suck. If you don't like Mustangs or Hockey that is fine, but since you have nothing else too add, we have no interest in knowing you don't like them.
  13. Derekmtl85

Derekmtl85 Member

530 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    What are you talking about? The NHL's attendance went UP after the last lock-out, same thing with TV ratings. Heck, the NHL even got a mega tv deal with NBC after the lock-out.

What you said is completely not true, people will come back even stronger after the lock-out because they will miss the sport.

Although, i do say the NHL season should be october to march/early april. Not playoffs in June...
  14. CanadianCowboysFan

14,927 Messages
    247 Likes Received
    you shouldn't chat about things about which you know nothing

Revenue has gone up 1 billion since the last lockout, salary cap has risen from 39 to 71 million.

yeah, hockey never recovered :cool:
  15. Derekmtl85

Derekmtl85 Member

530 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Ahh a fellow Leaf fan, i feel your pain. lol

Their should be a limit of years per contract, around 5-7 years maximum.

These front loaded contracts are killing the league.
  16. dargonking999

dargonking999 DKRandom

11,714 Messages
    81 Likes Received
    What is with the lockouts man

first the NFL does the hokey pokey, then the NBA slams in there feet in the action, now the NHL is trying to dip its hand in the action. Can't we all just turn ourselves around?
  17. CanadianCowboysFan

14,927 Messages
    247 Likes Received
    If you are in Montreal, why are you a Leaf fan?

Front loaded contracts aren't bad, the fact your GM won't sign them is the Leaf problem.
  18. Mash

Mash Active Member

4,061 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :bow:

Yeah brother.....Leaf nation rules :) ...but damn.....we need to win :)
  19. Mash

Mash Active Member

4,061 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Really? Do you know Leaf nation is everywhere? Even in the hated rival home town? :)

Front loaded contracts are bad...plain and simple....only the weathly can dish them out.....its a farce.....they are created to CHEAT the cap....nothing else.....Its bogus to add 3 or 4 years at the end of the contract when they are getting close to 40 and giving them them vet minium......all for the purpose to spread the cap.

The next agreement will deal with it....because the majority of the owners in the NHL dont do contracts like that.....
  20. Derekmtl85

Derekmtl85 Member

530 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Don't start with leaf bashing...lol has nothing to do with my favorite team.

Having 12 year front loaded contracts is bad for the game, it's pretty simple. I was against Toronto trying to sign Richard/Kovalchuk when i heard the numbers they wanted, so it really has nothing to do with the Leafs.

As for the Montreal thing, born in Toronto, moved to Montreal.