1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Nick Collins Fined $50k For Hit on Roy

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by TheCount, Nov 8, 2010.

1. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,100 Messages
    1,082 Likes Received
  2. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    [youtubehd]szGBAz-qk8g&hd=1[/youtubehd]
  3. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Definitely and unnecessary and illegal hit.
  4. GBpack10

GBpack10 Member

136 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    Come on guys even Roy said he wasnt trying to injure him. I hope Roy is ok. Collins was just trying to make a play.
  5. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Maybe he wasn't trying to injure him, but he was trying to make a play with a clearly illegal, and dangerous, hit. The rule isn't based on the officials having to determine intent to injure, it's based on what is determined to be dangerous and therefor not allowed. Collins clearly could have made a tackle without leading with his head, and in fact Roy would have gone down easily with almost any contact at all because of how his body was positioned.
  6. tomson75

tomson75 Brain Dead Shill

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Lame.

That hit wasn't intentionally meant to injure. This league is quickly deteriorating.

50K is absolutely absurd. Harrison should have been fined 5 million in comparison.

....and Collinsworth nailed it last night when he addressed this issue. The fines are out of hand. In game suspensions are FAR more applicable in these situations.
  7. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Again, the rule isn't meant for officials to determine if their was an intent to injure, just if it was an illegal hit under the rules. It was, and frankly I see no problem at all with the call. It was helmet to helmet, and was not incidental. Collins clearly lowered his head and led with the helmet. There is no way around that. And it was not necessary to position himself to make the teackle that way. Hell, a simple shove out of boucns would have done the trick.
  8. SacredStar

SacredStar Active Member

2,693 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    Nick Collins is not a dirty player, and I would love to have him playing for us. We could use a safety of his caliber.

Although he violated the league rules on helmet/helmet hits, I highly doubt it was intentional.
  9. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I'm not saying he is dirty, but it was an unnecessary and dangerous hit, and an illegal one as well. I am not a fan of those that are trying to soften the game, but these kinds of hits are what gives the NFL fuel to make rules to soften the game.
  10. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Agreed. But why is it so much more enjoyable listening to Collinsworth than Aikman?

It just baffles me.
  11. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Nah, wasn't intentional. From the CB's perspective RW is still bobbling the ball. He is looking at his back committed to making the hit before the ball falls out of his view.

I'm sure league officials reviewed this, but it was still a helmet-to-helmet hit...hence the fine.
  12. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I don't know - looks like he pretty intentionally lowered and led with his head. I don't think his intention was to injure, but i do think he may have got carried away in his zeal to try and knock the ball loose.
  13. GBpack10

GBpack10 Member

136 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    It wasnt intentional guys. We could have ran up the score last night and we decided to quit on 4th down and give the ball back to you guys. I thought that was classy of us to do that.
  14. SacredStar

SacredStar Active Member

2,693 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    It was merciful. :cool:

Watch how the Giants won't do that next week.
  15. anava

anava Well-Known Member

1,573 Messages
    101 Likes Received
    And like I thought...The Eagle player was not and rightfully so not fined.
  16. bigE79

bigE79 Active Member

2,414 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Thats cool,and i hope when someone makes a b-line to Drivers head and knocks the **** out of him you feel the same way about it,just making a play.
  17. crazytown41

crazytown41 Well-Known Member

1,144 Messages
    53 Likes Received
    It was dirty. The game was already over. I'm all for playing hard until the game is over but hits like that at that point of the game is unnecessary. What is Collins trying to prove with a hit like that in a blowout?
  18. jubal

jubal Active Member

637 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    I noticed it and appreciated the gesture.We made Rogers look like a probowler too like we do all of our opponents. It would have been a better game if you had let us think we had a chance to come back and get in the game.