1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Nick Eatman: Cowboys sign three.

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Encore, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,514 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Shennannigans!!! I don't believe that even helped Peterson.

Murray is SOFT and IP.
  2. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

18,128 Messages
    1,825 Likes Received
    Which clearly tells us that we are not a playoff caliber team and could not contend with anything resembling a 'good team'.

It could have, but I'm sure not hanging my hopes, on the coulda, shoulda, woulda's that the theory entails.

I spent way too much time with woulda, coulda, and shoulda last year and I'm done with that.

Now the onus is on them to show me what they can - or can't do.

And I see exactly what they are showing me.

My only hope now is that this year's failure brings the necessary changes to how things are done around Valley Ranch.

But I sure as heck don't want to see anyone - especially the owner - trying to sell me on injuries being an excuse for why this team failed in 2012.
  3. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    It's the medical staffs fault and since Jerry hires them it's Jerry's fault
  4. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

15,252 Messages
    2,453 Likes Received
    If that's the case, what's missing in your analysis is a comparison between team health and schedule difficulty league wide and how both relate to a team's ability to win.

I was making no such comparison. I was simply pointing out that the team has been playing .500 ball regardless of who's been suiting up for them. Consequently, we can't say their record would be any better sans injuries because there's no evidence of it.

Are we defending the team's 5-6 record based on their injuries and the fact their schedule is too difficult? If the Cowboys can only be expected to win when they're completely healthy and they play cream puffs, it's no small wonder they have a .500 record since 1997.
  5. silver

silver Well-Known Member

5,451 Messages
    344 Likes Received
    he is injury prone according to the definition:

injury-prone (ˈɪndʒərɪˌprəʊn)

Definitions
    adjective

often sustaining injuries
  6. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,596 Messages
    1,013 Likes Received
    If that is the case, what is missing in your analysis is application of basic principles of logic.

Ask this of any fan. If you have your best players, does it make a difference? Does it make more of a difference against good or mediocre teams? From all the comments we get here about "resting Player X b/c we don't need him against Cleveland," I'd say the answer is pretty clear.

Also, ask this of any fan? Is it easier to win at home or on the road? Or against teams with winning vs. losing records?
  7. AbeBeta

25,596 Messages
    1,013 Likes Received
    Such as?

I see a ton of guys who are hurt. Does that mean we should fire Woicek, a guy who everyone here seems to think is amazing?

That doesn't mean that there aren't areas for improvement -- but I've watched football long enough to know it doesn't take a wholesale change to go from .500 to going deep in the playoffs
  8. silver

silver Well-Known Member

5,451 Messages
    344 Likes Received
    check out this article from Mike Florio from last year about Murray's durability.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/30/cowboys-taking-a-big-risk-with-demarco-murray/
  9. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,840 Messages
    2,325 Likes Received
    :bow:

trying to make sense will not get you very far
  10. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

18,128 Messages
    1,825 Likes Received
    Fundamentally?

Knock the old man out of his comfort zone.

The dynamic that he has created so that he can 'feel comfortable' has kept this team firmly in the mediocre zone.

Stop looking at Jason Garrett and what he 'could become' and look at what is.

And ask yourself if keeping Garrett and being patient with his obvious struggles is worth more the careers of Ware, Witten, and Romo.

Do you think you have a better chance of finding a better, more qualified head coach who can win in the not-too-distant future with this group or is there a better chance that you'll get players as good or betteer than what you have now when Garrett is fully prepared?

I don't see injuries that would point the finger at anything Woicek is or isn't doing as being the reason so I'm not blaming him.

I think it takes a fundamental change - as mentioned above - if there is any hope of winning with the current group.

If anyone can point me to somewhere where 'the process' is bearing fruit, I'd be most interested.

I don't see any improvement - anywhere.
  11. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

15,252 Messages
    2,453 Likes Received

Speaking of "application of basic principles of logic", it would behoove you to read what I'm actually saying.

Explaining away the Cowboys' .500 record on the basis of injuries is flawed logic because they were .500 when those injuries occurred. Consequently, there's no tangible proof their record would be better without those injuries.

One can't simply assume a team would have won Game A if Player X had been available and/or the team had played the game at home rather than on the road. That's faulty logic. Case in point: The Packers were healthier in 2011 than they were in 2010. Moreover, they had homefield advantage through the playoffs in 2011 and were a permanent roadie in 2010. Yet, they won the Super Bowl in 2010 and saw an early exit in 2011.

Last year, the Giants were depleted by injuries, and had only one home playoff game. Yet, they went on to win the Super Bowl.

You see, given the nature of our analysis, I would argue that hard evidence is just as important as pure logic.
  12. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,035 Messages
    934 Likes Received
    Something every fan on here should do.

Strip away excuses, expectations, hype, hate and look at Garrett and this team for what they are.
  13. Yuma Cactus

Yuma Cactus Active Member

707 Messages
    67 Likes Received
    Might be available, was still playing at a very high level. Maybe a year off will give him a few more years.
  14. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,726 Messages
    623 Likes Received
    I would love to get Brian Waters next season to add some vet leadership to this OL. Waters was still playing at pro bowl level for Pats last season.

And Poppinga should be able to contribute right away. He played for Rob Ryan in Cleveland so should be familiar with the scheme/terminology. Poppinga can also play multiple LB positions, inside or outside.
  15. M'Kevon

M'Kevon A Love Supreme

3,290 Messages
    155 Likes Received
    Waters isn't available. Still under contract to NE, and Bellichick isn't releasing him.
  16. EPL0c0

EPL0c0 The Funcooker

5,043 Messages
    279 Likes Received
    a WR? Is Miles hurt?
  17. M'Kevon

M'Kevon A Love Supreme

3,290 Messages
    155 Likes Received
    Really??
  18. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,053 Messages
    2,972 Likes Received
    Yes, and Ogletree too. Plus we waived Holmes.
  19. AbeBeta

25,596 Messages
    1,013 Likes Received
    Hmm, how often do players take a year off and come back better?

Pretty much they always just come back older and slower and fatter and worse.
  20. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,726 Messages
    623 Likes Received
    I said next season. Waters is a FA next season.