1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Nick Saban

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by IAmLegend, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,039 Messages
    3,513 Likes Received
    I think Saban found his dream job at Alabama and is not going back to the business of the NFL. He has it made at Alabama
  2. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,899 Messages
    2,707 Likes Received
    Yep and when he left for Alabama, hsi hand picked hope for OC was Jason Garrett, but he instead came here.

Clearly Saban doesn't know anything about coaching talent. Ask the experts here.
  3. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,859 Messages
    2,082 Likes Received
    Im sure Garrett would've done great at Alabama. He would finally have every single piece a team needs to have success at an amateur level.
  4. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

6,068 Messages
    1,983 Likes Received
    :lmao2:
  5. CowboyGil

CowboyGil Well-Known Member

1,168 Messages
    338 Likes Received
    Again Hos. You're just :bang2: trying to make sense.
  6. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

38,305 Messages
    4,209 Likes Received
    Wondering if Saban would be asked to be the Cowboys's coach is supposed to be in the Fan forum. It's the perfect place for it to live.
  7. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,167 Messages
    2,235 Likes Received
    Herbstreet seems to think Saban is very happy at 'Bama. And we all know he is payed very well.

Saban makes 5.5 million per year base but he also has tons of incentive add-ons. I'm sure it ends up being nearly 9 million per year.

The highest paid in the NFL are:
    Sean Payton...I think his new deal is about 8 million/yr
    Bill Belichick at 7.5 million.
    Jeff Fisher makes 7 million
    Shanny is at 6.9
    Tom Coughlin at 6.75
    Carroll is in there too

the 10th highest paid makes about 5 million

But most of the other 22 head coaches make in the 2-4 range.

The point is that pay would not be the reason.

It would have to be the challenge.
  8. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

38,305 Messages
    4,209 Likes Received
    Considering Garrett was picked by Saban to be his OC and he's been that successful maybe just maybe Garrett is better than you think.

I've always thought the use of emoticons to bolster one's point of view was because the point of view was too weak to stand by itself.

It also reminds me of when a young child slips and falls and several older boys start insanely laughing. It's because they don't know any better and are just young BOYS.
  9. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,899 Messages
    2,707 Likes Received
    Yeah, I'm going to consider your analysis over Saban's.

~taking my tongue out of my cheek~
  10. 187beatdown

187beatdown Lack of Big Plays

3,928 Messages
    609 Likes Received
    Love Saban. He would never leave Alabama though, nor would I expect him to. That gig is too sweet at this point. I can honestly see him as the Joe Paterno of Alabama and can't see why he wouldn't spend the rest of his life there.
  11. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,957 Messages
    9,037 Likes Received
    It's entirely possible he'll leave for another shot at coaching at the highest level.

In fact, I think if Jerry was hell bent on getting him it would get done.
  12. Doomsday101

78,039 Messages
    3,513 Likes Received
    Anything is possible but then some coaches do not look at the NFL as the greatest job out there.
  13. Risen Star

21,957 Messages
    9,037 Likes Received
    They are pretty rare.

But nobody can question the NFL is the highest level of football. You dominate college, you're dominating the minor leagues. I think the guys that prefer college only do so because they can't handle the pro level.
  14. Doomsday101

78,039 Messages
    3,513 Likes Received
    Some college coaches do not consider it minor leagues. Hell they have it made they are in charge they do not deal with the stupid crap of the NFL. So this notion they can't handle it is BS. You act as if dealing with over paid bone heads is a great job? Get a clue. NFL is not the end all of football. These programs have long tradition that put the NFL to shame.
  15. DFWJC

23,167 Messages
    2,235 Likes Received
    I see what you're saying, very very much disagree.

But college football and the Minor Leagues do not equate at all.
    Same with College basketball and the NBA.

Wooden, Dean Smith, Bob Knight, Krzyzewski.....they were offered NBA jobs their entire careers.

I think the desire to coach in the NFL is greater than the NBA, but there are those great coaches who like getting the players they want and enjoying the college atmsophere--while being padi just as well or better.

Saban seems like someone who would go back to the pro though. But you can be sure that he has turned down that offer already for at least 3 straight years.

The saying in Alabama (jokingly) is that three most important people are:
    Saban
    whoever is QB is
    the governor
  16. erod

erod Well-Known Member

5,049 Messages
    2,234 Likes Received
    At one time, I would agree with that.

But in this day of free agency, when you have 10-15 players that out-earn you, it takes your authority away. Unless your job is etched in stone - a la pretty much only Belichick - it is pretty difficult to ride herd over a locker room and command any honest respect.

In college, you get to hold all the cards. You run the show, and the players are at your mercy for at least three years. And you're unlimited in the number of blue-chippers you're allowed to pursue.

I can see why a guy would want to stay in the college world, especially if he's as established as Saban and doesn't have to do all the drudgery work in recruiting.
  17. Doomsday101

78,039 Messages
    3,513 Likes Received
    When is the last time college football went on strike? :laugh2:
  18. DenCWBY

DenCWBY Active Member

694 Messages
    121 Likes Received
    4 things I know you would see if he came to Dallas.
    Less penalties.
    Much better attention to detail.
    No player would be above the team.
    Every player would earn their contract or be gone.
    Not saying some of this is not happening now but.....the athsma field would definitely be back.
  19. Risen Star

21,957 Messages
    9,037 Likes Received
    I can see why they would prefer college too. But they are settling to coach in the minor leagues because they can't handle the grand stage of the pro game, is all I'm saying.

Whatever Alabama is, they play an inferior brand of football to the NFL. Alabama can never be the Dallas Cowboys. If you're a head coach the big stage is in the NFL not in the college game.

So it really comes down to whether Saban has the desire to succeed at the highest level of his profession. If he does, he must return to the NFL.
  20. DFWJC

23,167 Messages
    2,235 Likes Received
    Only if Jerry allowed it to be so.
    That is wht a guy like Saban, or Cowher, or Fisher, or Gruden etc, etc...do not want to coach here.