1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: No Decision On Play Calling; Garrett Sees Pros Of Delegating

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by jobberone, Mar 21, 2013.

1. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

36,732 Messages
    3,423 Likes Received
    [IMG]

PHOENIX – No determinations have been made regarding which coach will be calling plays for the Cowboys next season.

But head coach Jason Garrett continues to stress the added responsibilities when calling the plays and the advantages of being a walk-around head coach, making it sound like his role as play-caller may be delegated to offensive coordinator Bill Callahan.

“There are good arguments on both sides of it,” Garrett said. “But again, they are two very significant jobs with a lot of responsibility, and the more you delegate and give other guys responsibilities and still get the result you want, I think that’s a better way to do things. So we are still evaluating all of that.”

Garrett said the decision-making process is still ongoing.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/a...legating/5a4159a3-2e9e-4b64-bd18-c4908e9c3d3a
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,886 Messages
    2,125 Likes Received
    Owner/general manager Jerry Jones and Callahan have emphasized during the offseason that whatever decision is ultimately made will be up to Garrett. The head coach said he’s debated the best route to take for the last two and a half years. He understands all the responsibilities a head coach adds on when he decides to call the plays.

I have no issue either way, it is Garrett job that is on the line so make the call and stand by it
  3. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,354 Messages
    1,990 Likes Received
    if garrett is still calling plays next season it will be a long season
  4. Doomsday101

75,886 Messages
    2,125 Likes Received
    That is your opinion. If they can get better production out of the OL and make some upgrades alone the line then i don't think play calling will be an issue. Amazing what winning battles up front will allow the play caller to do.

Then again that is my opinion.

Either way if I'm in Garrett shoes I want to determine my own fate so if he chooses to hand over play calling to someone else or do it his self I'm good with it but in the end it still comes down to simple execution and that starts up front.
  5. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't see why it is such a big deal and the media needs to continue to ask him about it. They (Garrett & Co) probably have in mind how they want it to work, but of course want to put it to practice in pre-season before making a final determination. Even then, that doesn't mean Jason will keep it that way, as he can change what they are doing whenever he wants.

Continuing to portray Garrett as losing some of his duties/power if he indeed has Callahan call plays is completely ridiculous.
  6. justbob

justbob The Peacemaker Staff Member

6,809 Messages
    300 Likes Received
    If I used the correct words in describing the media and some of their stuff, I would have to ban myself.:D
  7. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,568 Messages
    5,297 Likes Received
    So, I'm hearing our play calling process decision is also a process, right?

It's his opinion, but then again, he doesn't really know what actual plays are being called, so, there's that. What he doesn't like are the play results, so he wants to change the play caller.
  8. Doomsday101

75,886 Messages
    2,125 Likes Received
    I agree. We know based on what the Cowboys have said 2 plays come in and Romo has the ablity to change the play based on what he sees at the line. What is the coverage? is CB laying off 5 to 10 yards or are they in bump and run? You have single safety high or 2 deep? there is a lot that goes into it. In the end for me it comes down to a simple thing. Execution, it starts up front but even after that I saw many games where plays where there for the taking but WR would drop the ball he was open ball hits him but the drop leads to the drive stalling and the punting unit coming out.

I also think Garrett is responsible for the play on the field, if players are not executing as HC it is his job to get them to execute or bench a guy when he is failing to do the job.

For me it has nothing to do with some blind love I have for Garrett that is not the case, him staying or going will come down to winning or losing and I do think this is a cross road season for garrett and the Cowboys the outcome will determine their future.
  9. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    and here we have Chip Kelly's thoughts on the matter (well, for the Philthy, not Dallas!):

The Cowboys are not the only team with a play calling issue: Garrett hasn't said who will call the offensive plays this upcoming season. Well the Cowboys aren't the only team with that issue. New Philadelphia Eagles coach Chip Kelly, an offensive genius at the University of Oregon, hasn't decided if he'll do it or offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur.
    "No, we’re so far away from that," Kelly said. "We’re still just putting our offense together, and how we’re calling it, what we think we want to do. We’ll kind of finalize that. And I think a lot of that is overblown, too, because offensive football is all situational When you script our third down during the week, when you get to third and three at the six, these are the four plays that we’re running. As long as you can read off a sheet, anybody can call a play."
  10. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,824 Messages
    2,674 Likes Received
    Yes, anyone can call a play, but as with everything else, some are better at it that others.

Someone tell the Ravens that playcalling doesn't matter. They don't seem to agree.
  11. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It seems you missed the point. The Ravens have nothing to do with it. They didn't just change their play caller, they completely eliminated him from being involved with the gameplan (and the rest of his duties).
  12. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,354 Messages
    1,990 Likes Received
    that would be nice, unfortunately that is not an option for us so can we have our little ray of sunshine and at least not have him call the plays?
  13. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    maybe, I guess we'll find out at some point.
  14. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,824 Messages
    2,674 Likes Received
    Wonder why bothered to do that if the playcaller doesn't matter...
  15. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,033 Messages
    453 Likes Received
    I don't want Garrett calling plays... He needs to focus on leading the team.
  16. Idgit

29,568 Messages
    5,297 Likes Received
    I think this is exactly right. Blame Garrett for breakdowns in execution or for a bad overall game plan. Or for not being able to get or coach players for his scheme. Or for the play calling, if you're then able to explain what play was called and why it was a bad call. All of those are perfectly fair game.

You have to wonder how many players, coaches, and people inside organizations have to say this before it just becomes generally accepted. Has anybody seen even a single reference to the contrary with someone on an offensive staff or in a position to know saying there's some significance as to who calls the plays?

Maybe I'm only seeing supporting evidence because people bring it in here when fans won't let this play calling vampire of a question die, but I don't recall seeing anything, ever, from any coach saying anything other than 'the issue of who calls the plays is not really very important. It's what happens during the week that matters.' Anybody?
  17. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,089 Messages
    444 Likes Received
    Last year can't be a measuring stick. The line was horrid and we lost our starting runningback. ANY play called was on a wing and a prayer, IMO. Tough to watch. Stupid, stupid penalties, often and at the worst possible times, compounded that.

When it comes to play calling I don't believe any of us Zone guru's have a clue. It's based off of a game plan. Anyone know what that is from week to week?
  18. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    you can't be serious....really?
  19. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    i sure haven't
  20. Idgit

29,568 Messages
    5,297 Likes Received
    We get a handful of diagrammed plays every year that really break down a play call in terms of situation and execution. Beyond that, other than second-guessing trick plays and a few obvious short yardage or goal line situations where the call is obvious and has a huge impact on the game, it's really hard to tell the impact of play calling on a down or drive's success or failure.

Execution, however, is relatively easy to see, and it's also the HC's responsibility. And there were plenty of instances of poor execution on offense early between the OL and the WRs in particular. Yet, for whatever reason, people who want to criticize Garrett keep going to play calling and giving him a pass on offensive execution. It's bizarre.