1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

No link, this was emailed to me.

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Jarv, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Jarv

Jarv Loud pipes saves lives. Zone Supporter

7,107 Messages
    132 Likes Received
    This is what being a democrat means. Official vote of Senate to make English the Official
    Language for America. Remember this on election day.

All that voted here were Democrats with the exception of one Republican!!

Subject: Official Language Vote

Be sure to read the last quote!

33 Senators Voted Against English as America 's Official Language June 6,

On Wed, 6 June 2007 23:35:23 -0500, "Colonel Harry Riley USA ret" wrote:

Senators,

Your vote against an amendment to the Immigration Bill 1348, to make

English America's official language is astounding. On D-Day no less when we

honor those that sacrificed in order to secure the bedrock character and

principles of America . I can only surmise your vote reflects a loyalty to

illegal aliens.

I don't much care where you come from, what your religion is, whether

you're black, white or some other color, male or female, democrat,

republican or independent, but I do care when you're a United States

Senator, representing citizens of America and vote against English as the

official language of the United States

Your vote reflects betrayal, political surrender, violates your pledge of

allegiance, dishonors historical principle, rejects patriotism, borders on

traitorous action and, in my opinion, makes you unfit to serve as a United

States Senator... impeachment, recall, or other appropriate action is

warranted.

Worse, 4 of you voting against English as America 's official language are

presidential candidates: Senator Biden, Senator Clinton, Senator Dodd, and

Senator Obama.

Those 4 Senators vying to lead America but won't, or don't have the

courage, to cast a vote in favor of English as America's official language

when 91% of American citizens want English officially designated as our

language. This is the second time in the last several months this list of Senators have disgraced themselves as political hacks... unworthy as Senators and certainly unqualified to serve as President of the United States.

If America is as angry as I am, you will realize a back-lash so stunning it

will literally rock you out of your panties... and preferably, totally out

of the United States Senate.

The entire immigration bill is a farce... your action only confirms this

really isn't about America ; it's about self-serving politics... despicable

at best.

Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you

with experience." ~ anonymous

The following senators voted against making English the official language

of America :

Akaka (D-HI)

Bayh (D-IN)

Biden (D-DE) Wants to be President?

Bingaman (D-NM)

Boxer (D-CA)

Cantwell (D-WA)

Clinton (D-NY) Wants to be President?

Dayton (D-MN)

Dodd (D-CT) Wants to be President?

Domenici (R-NM) Coward, protecting his Senate seat..

Durbin (D-IL)

Feingold (D-WI) Not unusual for him

Feinstein (D-CA)

Harkin (D-IA)

Inouye (D-HI)

Jeffo rds (I-VT)

Kennedy (D-MA)

Kerry (D-MA) Wanted to be President

Kohl (D-WI)

Lautenberg (D-NJ)

Leahy (D-VT)

Levin (D-MI)

Lieberman (D-CT) Disappointment here.....

Menendez (D-NJ)

Mikulski (D-MD)

Murray (D-WA)

Obama (D-IL) Wants to be President?

Reed (D-RI)

Reid (D-NV) Senate Majority Leader

Salazar (D-CO)

Sarbanes (D-MD)

Schumer (D-NY)

Stabenow (D-M)

"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale,

and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or

hanged."

President Abraham Lincoln " Amen "

Please forward to as many people as you know. WE NEED THIS INFORMATION

PASSED ON TO EVERY RED-BLOODED AMERICAN!!!!!!
  2. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,814 Messages
    1,676 Likes Received
    What do you expect from Liberals? They mostly hate America, our culture, our military, etc. Of course they hate English as well. It would SHOCK me if they had acted in any other way.
  3. Rackat

Rackat Active Member

2,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Has this passed the snopes test?
  4. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,895 Messages
    1,484 Likes Received
    Its completely true.
    Senate votes are easily verified.
    http://www.senate.gov/legislative/L...ote_cfm.cfm?congress=109&session=2&vote=00131

Those who voted against it did so because they represent states where civil services are offered in Spanish.

There was a second, competing bill passed at the same time calling for some differences and thus making English the official language was kind of a mess.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/19/washington/19immig.html

WASHINGTON, May 18 — The Senate voted on Thursday to designate English as the national language. In a charged debate, Republican backers of the proposal, which was added to the Senate's immigration measure on a 63-to-34 vote, said that it was equivalent to establishing a formal national anthem or motto and that it would simply affirm the pre-eminence of English without overturning laws or rules on bilingualism.

"We're free to say what we want, speak what we want, but it is our national language," said Senator Lamar Alexander, Republican of Tennessee. The amendment was proposed by Senator James M. Inhofe, Republican of Oklahoma.

It is not clear, though, that the measure will be included in any final bill after negotiations with the House. Shortly after the Inhofe amendment was approved, the Senate also approved a weaker, less-binding alternative declaring English the "common and unifying" language of the nation, on a 58-to-39 vote. The question of which version survives would be decided in negotiations with the House.

The second amendment was proposed by Senator Ken Salazar of Colorado, one of several Democrats who said the Inhofe measure was needlessly divisive and would reduce multilingual government programs.

"We are taking a step backward from the progress America has made," Mr. Salazar said.

Senator Harry Reid of Nevada, the Democratic leader, said the Inhofe amendment was racist.

"Everybody who speaks with an accent knows that they need to learn English just as fast as they can," he said.

Under the Inhofe proposal, the federal government is directed to "preserve and enhance the role of English as the national language of the United States of America." It does not go as far as proposals to designate English the nation's official language, which would require all government publications and business to be in English.

Instead, it says government services and publications now offered in other languages would be unaffected. But the proposal declares that no one has "a right, entitlement or claim to have the government of the United States or any of its officials or representatives act, communicate, perform or provide services or provide materials in any language other than English."

Critics said they fear the directive could lead government agencies to scale back their bilingual efforts, cause discrimination against people who do not speak English, disrupt emergency operations in communities with populations of immigrants and have other unintended consequences.

Mr. Inhofe, who is proficient in Spanish from his days as a pilot in Mexico, said critics were exaggerating the potential effects of his plan. His plan would also stiffen the language rules for immigrants seeking to qualify for citizenship under the new legislation, requiring them to demonstrate English proficiency and understanding of American history and government rather than simply to enroll in a language class.

President Bush, speaking about immigration on Thursday on a trip to Arizona, reiterated that under his proposal illegal immigrants would have to learn English. "If you learn English, and you're a hard worker, and you have a dream, you have the capacity from going from picking crops to owning the store, or from sweeping office floors to being an office manager," Mr. Bush said.

The House did not include a similar provision on English in the legislation it passed in December, but there is strong support among House Republicans for such a move.

Despite the clash over language, advocates of a broad immigration measure combining border protection with the possibility of citizenship for qualifying illegal immigrants successfully fought off repeated efforts to alter the measure.

In a crucial showdown, the Senate voted, 58 to 35, late Thursday to reject an amendment that authors of the legislation said would gut their bill by prohibiting temporary workers and many illegal immigrants from seeking permanent residency.

The Senate reversed a decision it made on Wednesday about how temporary workers could apply for permanent residency. The Senate initially voted to require that such applications come just from employers. But some senators said they had misgivings that the requirement would give employers too much power over workers. On Thursday, senators voted to give workers the ability to apply for permanent residency on their own if they have been working in the country for at least four years.

The Senate retained a requirement that a green card be granted only if the Labor Department certified a need for workers.

Immigrant groups praised the reversal. But some advocates for immigrants retained grave concerns about the emerging legislation.

Mary Bauer, director of the immigrant justice project at the Southern Poverty Law Center, said immigrants who participated in existing guest worker programs were frequently exploited. She said the programs failed to ensure that employers offered fair pay and housing.
  5. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,895 Messages
    1,484 Likes Received
    the irony here of course is that harry riley runs presidentbushblog.com
    and that his heated op-ed moment was over a year after the actual votes.

votes which were meaningless btw because of the competing bills but also because the House never even considered the bill.
  6. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,895 Messages
    1,484 Likes Received
    Jarv,

You need to get on different email lists:)
    That's plain old Tom DeLay nonsense there.
  7. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,243 Messages
    4,572 Likes Received
    A law to say English is the official language is not needed IMO.

No not because I think other areas need to stay open to spanish language or any liberal program.

It is just not needed IMO.

It is nothing more than a political stunt that is not needed.

I don't think we need a law to have an OFFICIAL language.

By the same token i don't think any business or service should be required by law to offer itself with other languages and signs.

That should be purely up to the businesses and services.
  8. iceberg

iceberg detoxed...part 2 Zone Supporter

28,338 Messages
    1,362 Likes Received
    granted - if it ever gets to be a big enough issue, they could be enough minority votes to overturn it anyway. my question for now is how many countries *do* have an official language?
  9. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Agreed...but that's not the case.

You see Spanish signs everywhere.

Sorry but you're in the U.S....we speak English here and so should you if you want to live here.

I wouldn't go to Mexico and expect them to put every sign or whatever in English as well as Spanish.

Except in the tourist areas.:D
  10. iceberg

28,338 Messages
    1,362 Likes Received
    this was my point when i got into it about "merry christmas". you come to america, expect to see american traditionas. a concept so hard to understand by those who think they can appease everyone.
  11. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Not saying Merry Christmas is F-ing stupid and should have NEVER ever been allowed to happen.

Oh and by the way...

MERRY CHRISTMAS Ice!

:D
  12. iceberg

28,338 Messages
    1,362 Likes Received
    you have offended my roman catholic upbringing. wait, no you didn't. DOH!

you go to a country, you expect to see that countrys culture. if it bugs you, don't go. simple really.
  13. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,243 Messages
    4,572 Likes Received
    Are those signs REQUIRED BY LAW? If so than I don't like that, however if the business just decides to do it, that is their prerogative.

Now there may be some rare exceptions, like in immigration offices to help process immigrants into the US.
  14. iceberg

28,338 Messages
    1,362 Likes Received
    i'm with you on this one. seattle's airport has signs up in many asian languages as well. in places where so many cultures do come through you can either put up signs and hope they read or you can hire people to do nothing but translate. business call 100%
  15. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,814 Messages
    1,676 Likes Received
  16. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Another totally stupid "issue"...

Whether or not English is the official language of this country, I've lived here for 50 years (I spent 5 years in Germany, in 2 different stretches), and not once in those 50 years have I had a problem communicating using English...

If that ever becomes a problem, I might revisit this "issue", but until then, I really don't give a bleep... I didn't even bother looking at the list of those who voted against the bill, simply because how anybody voted on this one will never, ever factor into my decision regarding who to vote for...

Just like I won't vote for anybody based on their position on gay rights, or flag burning, all those wedge issues... I simply don't care about these issues, and resent my government wasting their time on them when they should be concentrating on the critical issues facing this country...

I have a list of issues that I do consider important, and my vote will be for those candidates whose positions most closely align with my own on those issues...
  17. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,895 Messages
    1,484 Likes Received
    we made it 100 years without an official language.

In fact we edited and altered English.

I say screw calling our official language English and call it Americanese!!!
    Please make sure my point is emailed to every hot-blooded american....
    hahaha.

Jarv, email like this is called spam:)
  18. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received

Since you were offended.:D

[IMG]
  19. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I don't know if all of them are required by Law...but some would seem to be.

In Florida who has a large Spanish speaking population...OK there are signs...But here in Northeast Ohio?

We hardly have a large Spanish speaking population here.

Honestly...even in Florida I thinks it's BS.
  20. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,895 Messages
    1,484 Likes Received
    I know the stop signs need to be in Spanish....

I grew up in the inner city and there were small neighborhoods I was scared to drive through because stop signs were optionally obeyed, lol.

and Basura means trash. might wanna keep those in spanish too unless you don't want your stuff picked up after hours.