1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

No Riley Cooper Thread?

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by CowboysFanSince88, Jul 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pancakeman

pancakeman Well-Known Member

1,915 Messages
    212 Likes Received
    Does anybody in any context really use that word to reference men in general, regardless of race?
  2. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Set me straight then, sir. Since you seem to be aware of what mainstream music and tv is like.. do you say that word and find it acceptable because other people also say it?
  3. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,028 Messages
    1,889 Likes Received
    The word has been used by other African Americans in locker rooms and other settings for 40 years and more. This very popular for ages 15 to 30 does not really hold water to me. At some point, you have to get past that and realize that one segment of the population can not use it liberally and another not be allowed to use it at all. The word has to leave the popular
    vernacular all together.
  4. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

66,658 Messages
    6,395 Likes Received
    Well, the one or two times I've been around someone Caucasian who said it, she was saying it in try to recap a joke by a comedian. I just told her to stop before we had to have a conversation. There are boundaries and unless folks are willing to have an open dialogue about the word, the history of its use, why certain people CAN'T say it without repercussions, then they should refrain from using it, at all.
    da_whiz_kid likes this.
  5. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Some of the responses here are so ridiculous.. lol. Good grief we have a long way to go..
  6. da_whiz_kid

da_whiz_kid Active Member

866 Messages
    111 Likes Received
    truth. lol
  7. sunbum

sunbum Active Member

801 Messages
    99 Likes Received
    unfortunately, I believe many 24/25 year olds in this country are still children. I honestly don't believe many understand the whole history here.....they are insensitized to that word or others that are offensive due to our unfortunate culture. Not making excuses for anyone, not part of my vocabulary and although I think it hurts progress, I understand the double standard
  8. bbailey423

bbailey423 Well-Known Member

4,990 Messages
    573 Likes Received
    I hope the Eagles don't cut him....and I hope he dares come across the middle of the field. You cats on this forum that are not black don't get it. If he was trying to say he will take everybody on....black or white....then perhaps I get what he was saying. But if he was trying to reference a black person or black people only...then he said exactly what he meant. And no apology will change that. You don't use that word as a white person for the first time...so that means he has used it before....public or private. And this time he got caught. So getcha popcorn ready!
  9. WoodysGirl

66,658 Messages
    6,395 Likes Received
    Not really... what he said was altogether stupid. He could've used a totally different word. One beginning with M and I don't think anyone would've blinked at it. He introduced the racial context to an argument where it wasn't needed. Unless the security guard in which he was arguing with also fired back racially, then he was alone in his madness.
  10. WoodysGirl

66,658 Messages
    6,395 Likes Received
    Agreed.
  11. FiveRings

FiveRings Well-Known Member

1,761 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    All I'm saying is that it's like people are programmed to be "enraged" or "disgusted" when one of these stories comes out, without actually looking at the whole story.
  12. WoodysGirl

66,658 Messages
    6,395 Likes Received
    Then we can agree to disagree, because I just don't believe 24-25 year olds aren't completely ignorant to the history of this country. 4-5 year olds maybe. But by the time, they hit 14-15, these kids know the dos and don'ts. 24-25 year olds are adults. period. and do not get a pass for the foolishness.
  13. sunbum

sunbum Active Member

801 Messages
    99 Likes Received
    what are you talking about? Not looking to get into a debate for the sake of it. I even said we're probably alike in that we both find that language wrong. I'm trying to give a context of a different generation......play a hard line, closed mined posture if that's you
  14. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Trying to be reasonable about what you posted though, you said would people's reaction be the same if he has said he wanted to fight "every guy there" and not "every (blank) there"?

Well of course it wouldnt' man, because you'd be completely changing the meaning of what he said, in that scenario.

If i said to you, "Hey man, i hate camels."
    You change that to, "Hey man, i hate whites".

You don't think there's a difference there? That the main point that everyone should look at is just that i "hate" things?
  15. WoodysGirl

66,658 Messages
    6,395 Likes Received
    I know the whole story and still think what he said was stupid, how he said it was stupid, and why he said it was stupid. This isn't a guy who made a comment and what he said could be interpreted as something else, but people are taking it to the extreme. He said something out of his own mouth that was just highly inappropriate. He owned it...two months after the fact once it came out on youtube..but he owned it.
  16. FiveRings

1,761 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    Right, but what I'm saying is that if he does use that M word then people don't even blink at the story, but the fact of the matter is he made a threat, in a clearly intoxicated state, but nobody cares to speak about the situation as a whole, they just care to wag their finger at some stupid young kid saying the no no word
  17. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Im in that same age bracket that you are referencing.. and you're just wrong man. We aren't talking about children.. who may not know better. We're talking about grown men.. and we know better.
  18. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,028 Messages
    1,889 Likes Received
    You know, I don't entirely disagree with you here. Our society is so PC oriented that it's almost impossible not to get yourself in trouble. However, the truth of the matter is that the PC charged environment has some very serious consequences and it's simply too dangerous to even go there. I don't like it, I certainly do not think it's fair but it is the way people have decided to conduct the rules in our society. It's utterly ridiculous but the ramifications are just too harsh. Would be great if these attitudes would just go the way of the dino but too many people will not allow that to happen in this day and age. It's funny and sad at the same time.

Whomever said we still have a long way to go is absolutely right.
  19. ologan

ologan Well-Known Member

3,793 Messages
    233 Likes Received
    And now we have Michael Vick's brother, Marcus, supposedly offering a 1k bounty reward to any safety or linebacker who "lights him up".Stupid is as stupid does follows stupid is as stupid does.
  20. FiveRings

1,761 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    But what I'm saying is there should be no difference, threatening to beat someone is a threat to beat someone though and through, how you said it shouldn't really be a big deal.

If it was like a sit down interview with Cooper just speaking his mind about racist things in general (ala Edward Furlong in American History X) then yeah it should be a news story concerned only with race, but there's so much more to it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.