1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

No Riley Cooper Thread?

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by CowboysFanSince88, Jul 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,762 Messages
    931 Likes Received
    How is Marcus Vick going to come up with $1000?
  2. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

9,181 Messages
    4,290 Likes Received
    No doubt. I think he eventually gets cut anyways.
  3. Big D

Big D Well-Known Member

2,259 Messages
    117 Likes Received
    If my ancestors enslaved a group of people for hundreds of years, labeling this group of people a "word" that was meant to be derogatory in nature. I wouldn't even question why I wouldn't be able to say the "word" or not. I just wouldn't use it. And it wouldn't be a big deal.
    The Natural and Zordon like this.
  4. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,385 Messages
    4,342 Likes Received
    Hold up, you said it's used as a term of endearment? bwahahahahaha!!!
  5. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

9,181 Messages
    4,290 Likes Received
    Yes it's been like that for hundreds of years behind closed doors. Only now is it getting exposed to the general public b/c of hip hop.
  6. WoodysGirl

65,385 Messages
    4,342 Likes Received
    *snickers* ok...
  7. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

9,181 Messages
    4,290 Likes Received
    educate me...what's so funny about what I'm saying?
  8. Big D

Big D Well-Known Member

2,259 Messages
    117 Likes Received
    I do not think he gets cut nor should he. He's actually a pretty good wr who seemed to have good games the last couple of times they've played the boys.

I remember seeing this and thinking ' damn, nice catch!'
  9. WoodysGirl

65,385 Messages
    4,342 Likes Received
    There is absolutely NOTHING endearing about the word, nor its use. I don't care if folks have taken it, tried to sanitize it, and incorporated it into popular lexicon, it's not endearing.

There are so many words I could think of that are much more endearing than that one. I think it's ignorant and if anyone claims that its used as a term of endearment, I'm going to laugh at 'em and think they're cuckoo for cocoa puffs.

It's the same when women call other women the b-word. Nothing endearing about that. You calling me outside my name and I'm supposed to think you said it out of affection? Uhm, no, I don't think so.
    sunbum and Big D like this.
  10. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

36,621 Messages
    3,346 Likes Received
    Hundreds of years??? That word became a pejorative in the 1900s so a hundred years would be accurate.
  11. The Natural

The Natural Well-Known Member

4,507 Messages
    1,280 Likes Received
    I always pay attention to the demographic of the site. Thats why any thread with any sort of racial element, ie: this and the zimmerman trial thread, I steer clear from. A few of the 'finest' posters here are also on stormfront. Some people are just so entitled. Bu but you guys say it I wanna be down too!!!
  12. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

9,181 Messages
    4,290 Likes Received
    That's your opinion and I tend to agree with you so I'm not going to be the one to defend its usage in the black community. All I'm saying is in the context that its generally used, its a term of endearment. It can easily be substituted for "my brother...my sister...etc." This has been a part of black dialectic for many years. It did not start with hip hop like the b word did for example.
    sunbum likes this.
  13. WoodysGirl

65,385 Messages
    4,342 Likes Received
    Ok.
  14. WoodysGirl

65,385 Messages
    4,342 Likes Received
    mike freeman ‏@mikefreemanNFL 9m
    Eagles player I texted with yesterday, this morning on Riley Cooper: "Not every player has forgiven. Not by a long shot."
    Player says whites in Eagles locker room as upset as black

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer 8m
    The NFL isn't commenting on further discipline against Riley Cooper, though the commissioner's power on something like this is broad.
    On Riley Cooper --Remember, one person getting away with saying something dumb doesn't mean the next guy will or should.
  15. BAZ

BAZ Drunken Mick

2,451 Messages
    299 Likes Received
    Thats a strange part to put in about blacks/whites, what are the white players going to do? Sit there and say "I'm tottally cool with what he said, he said sorry with three tweets, thats in the past now".
  16. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

11,895 Messages
    907 Likes Received
    I think his actions and words were reprehensible. He wanted to impose violence on the security guards before using the word. It was clearly hate speech from somebody that has a hatred against black people.

That said, I don't think he should be released either.

Our society has become increasingly forceful on trying to control freedom of speech. The real irony of this is that the government has not tried to control our freedom of speech; the people have done the dirty work for them.

Instead of using the old adage of 'sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me', we see people that are 'outraged' and 'offended' and that causes people to lose their jobs and put forth phony and uninspired apologies.

Instead of just blindly releasing Cooper, the Eagles should wait and see if this is really a pressing issue. Can his teammates deal with him after what he said? Are the fans and supporters genuinely offended and outraged enough to stop supporting the Eagles? Can the fans handle what Cooper did?

The onus should be put on the 'outraged' and 'offended' to show that they are genuinely hurt enough before assuming that they are hurt by the situation.

The real double standard here has nothing to do with hip-hop. It's the countless times I've been to or watched NFL games and heard the word being used by black players and nothing gets done about it. While Cooper's actions and words were awful, he was doing it in his private life and at a non-NFL function. Yet, when black players use that word in actual games...it is never addressed.

YR
  17. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

9,181 Messages
    4,290 Likes Received
    Yeah I try to stay away too. But I thought for once with this one we'd all agree this guy is a scumbag and just keep it moving. I was wrong. :snoop:
  18. The Natural

The Natural Well-Known Member

4,507 Messages
    1,280 Likes Received
    So what's your real take on the situation. Do you actually have a problem with the word, or just that only one group of people are perceived to be allowed to use it.
  19. Avery

Avery The Dog that Saved Charleston

7,858 Messages
    359 Likes Received
    My first thought in watching the video is why people continue to hold cell phones horizontally instead of in landscape mode.

My second thought is that unlimited alcohol consumption rarely leads to good things.

My third thought is that he probably uses the word behind closed doors if he was so keen to use it here.

My fourth thought is that he will still probably use it, but only to himself.

My final thought is that Cooper is going to get lit up for years to come (which will no doubt receive a 15 yard penalty and a first down).
    pancakeman and WoodysGirl like this.
  20. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

9,181 Messages
    4,290 Likes Received
    Never read Huck Finn? The word became a pejorative in the early 1800s.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.