1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Norm clarifies TO's injury...

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by InmanRoshi, Sep 18, 2006.

1. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Norm called the Cowboys' doctors to clarify it ...

Its not a broken finger as its being listed by most of the newspapers this morning. Its a fractured metacarpal, which are the bones that run from your wrist to your knuckle. Its in the top part of the hand. The doctors will just go in to stabilize the fracture so it will heal faster, and he could play with a pad on his hand in a couple of weeks. Broken fingers are actually a nasty and much more serious injury for WR's.
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,281 Messages
    3,020 Likes Received
    Which means there is a chance that he could be ready for Tenn at best and Philly for sure
  3. Crown Royal

Crown Royal Insulin Beware

10,368 Messages
    709 Likes Received
    I honestly expect him to be healed by our next game. I've had this same injury twice. I was a young kid both times, but it wasn't particularly painful or anything after a few days. In 2 weeks, with a hyperbaric chamber, he should be good to go.
  4. CaptainAmerica

CaptainAmerica Active Member

5,016 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    Thanks for the update. That is good news.
  5. Duane

Duane Active Member

6,885 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    I may be in the minority but I'd rather him rest against Tenn unless he's at or close to 100%. No need risking further injury against a team we should be able to beat with Crayton and Hurd playing along side Glenn.
  6. dargonking999

dargonking999 DKRandom

11,806 Messages
    172 Likes Received
    Yea i agree, i just hope he plays against the TExans, cause yea i have tickets with my dad, and i want me some TO. :D lol
  7. BulletBob

BulletBob The Godfather

2,170 Messages
    66 Likes Received
    90 minutes in the hyperbarric chamber, and he'll be fine!

He'll be back at practice tomorrow.
  8. Gryphon

Gryphon Merge Ahead

3,389 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Originally posted by ROBBOBVILA from a sports forum:

He has a fracture to metacarpal which is not as serious as broken finger according to Norm from the Ticket.
  9. cbfan55

cbfan55 Member

529 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If that is the case, He should be ready to play Tenn. IMO
  10. baj1dallas

baj1dallas New Member

6,556 Messages
    0 Likes Received

I don't think a hyperbaric chamber is going to help as much for broken bones.
  11. TX_Yid

TX_Yid Well-Known Member

1,286 Messages
    111 Likes Received
    If its the bone between wrist and finger in the hand then I have broken that finger myself, although I broke the "pinkie" finger on my right hand.

That fracture is often referred to as a boxers fracture as it usually gets broken when throwing a punch (I broke mine by getting kicked in the hand playing soccer though).

Anyway, its not a very painful break, a bit achey maybe. I was told that usually they do not operate on it as it will usually heal ok on its own and it's actually more risky to operate and risk any kind of infection in the hand. I didn't have an operation, I just had a cast on my hand for a couple of weeks (no more than 2) and after that it was fine.

My extremely naive medical opinion, he'll be back for the Philthy game.
  12. fanfromvirginia

fanfromvirginia Inconceivable!

4,014 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    The 2-4 week estimate was based on this fractured info, not the broken info. He's still 2-4 weeks. I expect TO will get back out there much closer to the 2 than the 4. We'll see...
  13. lurkercowboy

lurkercowboy Active Member

4,039 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    Didn't Emmitt Smith have this injury in 99? I think he hurt his hand in a Monday nighter against the Vikings. (Where he was dominating) and missed the next game against Green Bay.
  14. panchucko

panchucko We have a pretty good offense Zone Supporter

2,008 Messages
    170 Likes Received
    Parcells will expect nothing less.
    Players should play with pain, Remember Whitten and broken jaw. He missed one game.

TO has the bye week to heal.
  15. THUMPER

THUMPER Papa

9,522 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yep, it was a shame too as he was on pace to break the single game rushing mark with 140 yards midway through the 2nd quarter!
  16. Richmond Cowboy

Richmond Cowboy Well-Known Member

1,226 Messages
    288 Likes Received
    Actually, hyperbaric oxygen therapy is frequently used for bone healing problems particularly in the jaws of patients that have undergone radiation therapy. It increases oxygen available to healing tissues which in theory, improves wound healing.