1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Norv as O-Coordinator

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by egn22, Nov 26, 2012.

1. egn22

egn22 Active Member

839 Messages
    233 Likes Received
    Was listening to the radio today, and heard some chatter about keeping Jason Garrett another year and bringing in Norv as an O-Coordinator when the inevitable happens and he's fired in San Diego.

Perceived Pros:
    Norv is a brilliant football mind & a talented O coordinator
    Has skins on the wall as a coordinator here
    Has a great relationship with Jerry

Cons:
    Ego would make it difficult to work under Garrett
    Game has possibly passed him by
    A lot has changed since he was here

Im not a supporter of this move, but i'd like to know what your opinions are.
  2. fifaguy

fifaguy Well-Known Member

4,361 Messages
    761 Likes Received
    forget about it
  3. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

9,145 Messages
    779 Likes Received
    Turner has forgotten more about running a quality NFL offense than Garrett knows.
  4. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,457 Messages
    8,348 Likes Received
    My opinion is with this same group of players, the offense won't improve even a little.

The coaching is fine. The play calling is fine, other than it has to be so one dimensional because they can't run the ball. We have a talent issue. Norv Turner doesn't fix that.
  5. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

37,516 Messages
    3,819 Likes Received
    Garrett might not like it first. Also Norv runs the closest thing to Coryell's offense. We don't have the personnel to run it. We can't even run a variant well. OTOH I believe Norv could run Jason's offense but that goes right back to not having personnel. He could help game plan and call plays but I don't know what that gets u.
  6. birdwells1

birdwells1 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,366 Messages
    489 Likes Received
    Let's leave the 90s in the 90s, it's time we moved on as an organization. I don't see the 49ers or Steelers trying reclaim someone from their glory years and neither should we.
  7. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,458 Messages
    921 Likes Received
    Yes. Let us get Dave Wannstedt too
  8. Omegasupreme

Omegasupreme Member

248 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    And beyond that, Turner's offense is failing in the exact same way Garrett's is: the routes are not generating space. Rivers throws interceptions and Romo takes sacks. This philosophy of offense died like Soviet Communism: powerful at one point but pathetic in modern era. Its not the players, the Coryell scheme is failing around the league. Mike Tice even changed the playcalling to a quick drop, quick pass style after the Packers destroyed the long developing routes earlier in the year.
  9. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,699 Messages
    679 Likes Received
    Well, if that's the case, why would you want him? Just playing. I know what the phrase is intended to imply. But if you think about it, why would you want a coach that's forgotten that much?
  10. maxdallasfan

maxdallasfan Well-Known Member

1,181 Messages
    448 Likes Received
    How long has the Norv talk been going on? Geesh.

Maybe we can get Zampese here too.
  11. BlueStar22

BlueStar22 Well-Known Member

8,316 Messages
    285 Likes Received
    We have an offensive coordinator and he doesn't call the plays. The HC does.
  12. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,293 Messages
    4,837 Likes Received
    No Dave Shula?
  13. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,645 Messages
    400 Likes Received
    this could be like wade phillips all over again. Remember he is a better D coordinator than HC. He pretty much sucked when he was our HC/DC but just being the DC and houston he looking pretty good right now. Especially since he lucked into JJ Watt.

Maybe having Norv Turner just focus on being the OC he can be alot better. Just maybe.
  14. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,739 Messages
    2,409 Likes Received
  15. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

38,694 Messages
    1,568 Likes Received
    I'm in the no group. Why? No reason, just no.
  16. kirkjrk

kirkjrk Active Member

905 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    I was thinking the same thing last night, about NT coming in as an OC . I had almost the exact same Pros and Cons you listed and like you I don't think I would support the change. I think JG stays for at least another season so NT as OC might be the best the fan base can hope for. Not sure if this would work but really it couldn't be any worse than this year, could it.
  17. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,645 Messages
    400 Likes Received
    exactly, can't do it when you could have sean payton who jerry want garrett to be. Sean payton at coaching and OC>>>Garrett. Then hopefully we switch back to the 4-3 :shades:
  18. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,929 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Every single observer I've heard around this team, from Patrick Crayton to Todd Archer to Randy Galloway, says there's no way Norv would come in and work for someone he sees as an inferior coach to himself.

And who could blame him.
  19. DenCWBY

DenCWBY Active Member

623 Messages
    107 Likes Received
    Dream Team:
    T Aikman takes over as GM and hires 3 football guys of his choice to lead his personell regiment and scouting. Aikman is a was one of the most prepared and organized guys in NFL and he's very competitive.
    Sean Peyton HC
    Norv Turner OC
    N Newton OL Coach
    M Irvin Receivers
    Moose J RB Coach
    D Wannsedt D Coordinator
    C Haley D Line
    D Woodson D backs
    S Lee LB/player coach

Oh boy I better go take a cold shower.
    :laugh1:
  20. nalam

nalam The realist Zone Supporter

1,440 Messages
    87 Likes Received
    Sorry Risen , I agree on the talent and O-L perspective , but not coaching and play calling, when you dont have the 90's OL or running gmae, trying to call long developing plays is not going to work.

That is play calling and coaching! IMO:banghead: