1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Notes: Jerry Jones Talks Draft, Romo, More At Sr. Bowl

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by RS12, Jan 20, 2014.

1. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

4,106 Messages
    1,098 Likes Received
    I have a difficult time understanding "Jerry speak" most of the time.

He rambles & after awhile it all just comes out as a bunch of nothing.

I use to think it was old age but then heard him years ago & he has always done that. .
  2. jobberone

jobberone Save the Snow Leopard Staff Member

35,027 Messages
    2,578 Likes Received
    You cannot predict who is going to succeed in the NFL. You put players in tiers and sure you rank them in that tier but you shouldn't take yourself too seriously with that. You don't pass on playmakers or players you can actually say belong in a different tier. Otherwise there is generally a player you need in a tier where you are drafting.

I find fault in their philosophy towards DBs. They don't value safety enough and they are looking at the wrong kinds of corners IMO.
    Corso likes this.
  3. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

27,768 Messages
    3,757 Likes Received
    The Bucs have invested almost as much as we've invested in all three in Darrell Revis, alone.
  4. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,721 Messages
    5,249 Likes Received
    They've invest tens of millions and multiple high draft picks on three different corners? Is this the same Revis they're talking about possibly releasing?

Wait. Did you say the Tampa Bay Buccaneers? Even if you had a point, this is the team you want to model yourself after?

Take off the Rowdy costume. You're not getting enough oxygen to the brain.
  5. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,122 Messages
    1,757 Likes Received

"When I say I’m the best cornerback in football, it’s with a caveat: There isn’t a great defensive backfield in the NFL that doesn’t have a great front seven. Everything begins with pressure up front, and that’s what we get from our pass rushers every Sunday."

Richard Sherman, CB Seattle Seahawks
    Dodger12 and tantrix1969 like this.
  6. kevinhickey

kevinhickey Member

319 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    So true, keep Romo alive to take advantage of the weapons.
  7. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

27,768 Messages
    3,757 Likes Received
    That goes without saying, right? On defense, you're as strong as your weakest link. Any hole in your lineup is going to get exploited.

You need both pressure players *and* guys who can cover. We need to add both, though DL is the obvious focus this offseason. We still need better coverage from the safety position, too.
    Corso likes this.
  8. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,122 Messages
    1,757 Likes Received

i agree
    need guys who can put pressure on the QB and those who can cover
    Corso likes this.
  9. Corso

Corso Well-Known Member

1,865 Messages
    1,012 Likes Received
    I'm going to be honest here- I'm a pretty optimistic guy and I always hope for the best for our Boys, but...

Even though these past few drafts have been better, I don't trust the whole process.
    Even this last draft which was pretty darn good so far had some real head scratchers.
    Every year the Draft is a crap-shoot. Sometimes you hit the target, sometimes the bullets go sailing.
    Sometimes those bullets hit, but the shooters didn't have good aim- they just hit the target anyways.
    I'd like to see more coherence and consistency from these guys.
    Especially coherence.
    Small, raw DB's in this day and age?
    Where's the forward thinking- not drafting DL at all last year?
    The ignoring of the OL year after year til it was burning them weekly?
    Drafting for need at times, then drafting pure BPA other times?

From Jerry down to the scouts- I don't like the smell of the process as a whole.
    I know I can be very wrong about this, but I don't think I am.
    I hope they find some real players in this upcoming draft.
    I hope McClay has a voice in that room- it sounds like he's got his thing together.

I guess, like all things Cowboys- we'll just have to see.
  10. dboyz

dboyz Active Member

783 Messages
    49 Likes Received

The Seahawks have the best secondary in the game and they are going to the Super Bowl.

Recent Super Bowl winners that invested similarly in the secondary.

2011 New York Giants

Corey Webster - 1st round pick
    Prince Amukamara - 1st round pick
    Aaron Ross - 1st round pick
    Deon Grant - former 1st round pick signed to one year four million dollar deal
    Kenny Phillips - first round pick

2009 New Orleans Saints

Malcolm Jenkins 1st round draft pick
    Tracy Porter - 2nd round draft pick
    Roman Harper - 2nd round pick
    Darren Sharper free agent

2007 NY Giants

Corey Webster - 1st round pick
    Aaron Ross - 1st round pick
    Sam Madison - Free agent contract

I'm only going to go back a few years, but clearly many teams have invested as much as the Cowboys in the secondary (or even just CB's) and have won the super bowl.
  11. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,721 Messages
    5,249 Likes Received
    The Seahawks have a dominant front seven that allows their secondary to look good. A fact even Richard Sherman admitted to after the Championship game.

You need to go back more years because not a single one of those teams have done what the Cowboys did.

And I said cornerbacks, I didn't say secondary. Not a single team that's ever won anything was ever led by their cornerbacks on defense and no team has ever invested more in their cornerbacks than the Dallas Cowboys. They pay their nicker corner like he's a starter. They've given 50 million to a marginal player like Brandon Carr. They burned a top 10 pick and a 2nd rounder on the other starter.

And people wonder why this defense is historically bad? There's your answer. It's built back-bleep-wards.
  12. dboyz

dboyz Active Member

783 Messages
    49 Likes Received
    I compared secondary because it is the most reasonable way to look at that group, the secondary as a whole, not just cornerback and not just safeties. There is a logic to this. It's like taking the offensive line as a group and not just offensive guards.

Even saying that, teams have dedicated equivalent resources to the secondary and have been successful. Your point if there was one I think was that you can't dedicate that amount of resources to cornerbacks (or secondary) and be successful and clearly that is not the case. Even if you just isolate cornerback that is not the case.

For instance the 2011 NY Giants invested two first round picks and one second round pick in cornerbacks (earlier I misstated Corey Webster as a 1st round pick when he was a second round pick).

The 2007 Giants invested 2 first round picks and a free agent contract (Sam Madison) in cornerbacks.

If your point is that no other team has invested exactly the way the Cowboys have, by trading a 1st and 2nd and by having a $50M deal and a $20M deal, then of course you are right, but this is like saying that no team has ever won a super bowl whose quarterback has the surname Romo. What's the point.
  13. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

9,926 Messages
    2,818 Likes Received
    The Cowboys spent as more on DL in 2013 than most or possibly all teams. Just add up the salaries of Ware, Spencer, Ratliff and Hatcher. It's much more than they spent on their top 4 DBs.
  14. dboyz

dboyz Active Member

783 Messages
    49 Likes Received
    Good point. The cowboys need more young talent.
  15. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

2,944 Messages
    466 Likes Received
    If Lewan is there at our pick, pencil him in and consider Free a June 1st cut.
  16. Bungarian

Bungarian Butt Monkey

2,010 Messages
    323 Likes Received
    This draft will be heavy defense. hopefully they don't try the trade down get more picks thing and blow it.
  17. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,924 Messages
    536 Likes Received
    All depends on who's there....given the nature of the position I think Matthews, Robinson, and Lewan will all be off of the board by 16. That leaves Kouandijo and Martin to consider at 16 imo. Impossible to say whether I would pull the trigger without knowing who else is available.

I will say that I love the depth at guard in this draft and think we can get a very quality starter in the near future in the 3rd/4th round.
  18. Dodger12

Dodger12 Well-Known Member

1,989 Messages
    533 Likes Received
    You can't compare what the Giants did and how they built their defense to what the Cowboys have done; they are two separate philosophies. The Giants built their D from the inside out and there is no question of that.

William Joseph (2003 1st rounder), Mathius Kiwanuka (2006 1st rounder) and Jason Pierre-Paul (2010 1st rounder)

The Giants hit on Tuck in the 3rd round (2005) and didn't have a first round pick (in 2005) because of the Eli trade the year prior.

In 2005 they had Strahan and Osi Umenyiora (2nd round 2003) who both went to the pro bowl but they still used their first round pick on a front 7 player in 06 (Kiwanuka).

In 2009 they signed Chris Canty and still drafted a front 7 player with their first round pick in 2010 (JPP).

We haven't given the front 7 the same level of attention as the Giants and it's not even close.

EDIT: I didn't mention Marvin Austin 2011 2nd round pick, Jonathan Hankins 2013 2nd rounder and Damontre Moore 2013 3rd round pick.