1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

NY Observer: Palin's rhetoric racist? Or, PC sensitivity gone wild?

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Angus, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Angus

Angus Active Member

5,064 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Black Congressmen Declare Racism In Palin’s Rhetoric

‘Racism Is Alive, Well’ Says Democrat Ed Towns; Greg Meeks: ‘Racial’
    by Jason Horowitz | October 7, 2008

This article was published in the October 13, 2008, edition of The New York Observer.

As the McCain campaign ratchets up the intensity of its attacks on Barack Obama, some black elected officials are calling the tactics desperate, unseemly and racist.

“They are trying to throw out these codes,” said Representative Gregory Meeks, a Democrat from New York.

“He’s ‘not one of us?’” Mr. Meeks said, referring to a comment Sarah Palin made at a campaign rally on Oct. 6 in Florida. “That’s racial. That’s fear. They know they can’t win on the issues, so the last resort they have is race and fear.”

“Racism is alive and well in this country, and McCain and Palin are trying to appeal to that and it’s unfortunate,” said Representative Ed Towns, also from New York.

In recent days, as polls have shown a steady lead for the Democratic ticket, Mr. McCain and Ms. Palin have used reports of Mr. Obama’s loose association with Bill Ayers, a former member of the ’60s radical group the Weather Underground, as evidence that he is different from them.

“Our opponent,” Ms. Palin told donors in Englewood, Colo., “is someone who sees America, it seems, as being so imperfect, imperfect enough, that he’s palling around with terrorists who would target their own country.”

She added, “This is not a man who sees America like you and I see America,” she said. “We see America as a force of good in this world. We see an America of exceptionalism.”

An Associated Press analysis characterized those remarks as “unsubstantiated” and carrying “a racially tinged subtext.”

Neither Mr. McCain nor Ms. Palin has backed off the line of attack.

Again invoking Mr. Obama’s intermittent encounters with Mr. Ayers, Mr. McCain asked a crowd in Albuquerque, N.M., on Oct. 6, “Who is the real Barack Obama?” Someone in the crowd screamed in reply, “a terrorist!” Mr. McCain grimaced, but kept going.

Before Ms. Palin took the stage in Estero, Fla., at the Oct. 6 event, one of the introductory speakers, Mike Scott, the sheriff of Lee County, referred to the Democratic candidate as “Barack Hussein Obama,” a practice the McCain campaign has distanced itself from in the past. Apparently, no longer. Ms. Palin also said that she had advised Mr. McCain to “take the gloves off” and said Mr. Obama was “not one of us.”

David Bositis, senior political analyst at the Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies and an expert on African-American issues, said that most Americans were too busy worrying about their economic future to concentrate on Mr. McCain’s comments on the stump. To the extent that people were listening, though, he said his remarks would be “not just crossing the line but introducing serious ugliness into the race.”

Other black members of Congress, all Democrats who support Mr. Obama, said they were dismayed by the new and vicious tenor of the McCain attacks.

“If McCain’s attacks don’t cross the line, they’re certainly teetering on it,” said Representative Jesse Jackson Jr. of Illinois. “He is certainly appealing to people’s fears and not their hopes.”

Mr. Jackson took issue with the McCain campaign’s attack on Mr. Obama’s connection to Mr. Ayers, who committed acts of domestic terrorism when Mr. Obama was 8 years old, and contrasted that with Mr. McCain’s long relationships with erstwhile supporters of segregation in the Senate like Jesse Helms and Strom Thurmond.

“Should McCain be held responsible for having served with segregationalists when he was 8 years old, 18 years old, 28 years old, 38 years old, 48 years old, 58 years old, 68 years old?” Mr. Jackson said. “Did he ever meet with any of them? Did he ever conference with them or work with them? Did McCain quit the Senate instead of work with them?”

He added: “Did Sarah Palin throw her husband out of the house for advocating secession from the union?”

“I guess they are suggesting that he is a terrorist; it’s just patently absurd,” said Representative Bobby Scott of Virginia. “John McCain himself said he wouldn’t participate in such things, but I guess that changes when you’re losing.”

“Some may say their true colors are showing,” said Representative Yvette Clarke of New York. “Others may say they’re just not being thoughtful. But certainly a lot of the language I’ve heard I consider to be incendiary. I believe it is meant to generate a certain sentiment within their base that engenders fear and certainly appeals to a group of people within our society who would pursue this along racial lines.

“It’s very clear,” she said.

Ms. Clarke also found a racial subtext in Ms. Palin’s repeated appeals to “Joe Six-Pack” and “hockey moms.”

“Who exactly is Joe Six-Pack and who are these hockey moms? That’s what I’d like to know,” she said. “Is that supposed to be terminology that is of common ground to all Americans? I don’t find that. It leaves a lot of people out.”

New York State Senator Bill Perkins, an early supporter of Mr. Obama, said, “They are obviously playing on people’s fears and prejudices in a desperate way. While not explicitly relating to race, they are clearly creating the opportunity for those inclined to come to those conclusions. I think it is going to become more explicit as we move forward. It’s subtle now, but not so subtle as to be mistaken.”

And Kevin Parker, a New York state senator from Brooklyn, said, “If you have to remind people that Barack Obama is African-American, you have reached the bottom.”

In response to the Obama supporters’ comments, McCain campaign spokesman Peter Feldman provided the following statement: “It is disappointing that Barack Obama and his supporters continue to play the race card from the bottom of the deck. This is a tactic that the Obama Campaign has used before, and which McCain campaign manager Rick Davis correctly called ‘divisive, shameful, and wrong.’ It is legitimate for John McCain to ask questions about Barack Obama’s relationship with the unrepentant domestic terrorist William Ayers because Senator Obama has not been truthful about this relationship. Many Americans want these questions answered. Despite the fact that Barack Obama has been running for president since joining the Senate, many Americans are still wondering, ‘who is Barack Obama?’ These comments are a sure sign of a flailing campaign that refuses to be honest with voters and that is bordering on desperation.”

The Obama campaign did not respond to requests for comment by deadline.

http://www.observer.com/2008/politics/black-congressmen-declare-racism-palin-s-rhetoric?page=0,0
  2. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,653 Messages
    82 Likes Received
    :rolleyes:

If Obama gets elected, I'll be very interested to see who he appoints as chief of the US Department of Political Correctness...
  3. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,742 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    I hope he has decoder ring!
  4. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Meeks also thought that questions into Franklin Raines' running of Fannie Mae were racist.
  5. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,742 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Black holes are racist...
  6. trickblue

28,653 Messages
    82 Likes Received
    I remember seeing that...

It seems anytime he has anything to say the word "racism" creeps in... he's just tryin' to keep the crackers down...
  7. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt °¤~Cold Eternal~¤° Staff Member

58,869 Messages
    1,786 Likes Received
    I don't think palin or mccain has that going. I admit to wondering about their campaign heads at times.

However one thing is clear, it seems some of the people that have attended some recent town halls or speeches of theirs are as I read some stuff about some audience member yelling a racist slur and telling some black camera man to sit down boy or son.

Although I don't think McCain and or Palin are at fault for what some random audience member does...unless they let it go without removing him or her.
  8. Wheat

Wheat Philosopher

2,924 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The stuff yelled from the audience and to the media at that Rally was pretty Raw. I don't think the McCain/Palin ticket was behind it though. That's what happens with you play to the lowest common denominator.

I do find it interesting that today during a Rally, after Palin spoke....much of the crowd left before McCain got going. Is that good or bad for his campaign? They support her but didn't stick around for him?
  9. trickblue

28,653 Messages
    82 Likes Received
    If it brings him additional votes, then it's good for him I would think...
  10. Wheat

Wheat Philosopher

2,924 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Will it? Or are they just there to see the show?

If you aren't sticking around for a speech when you're already there. Are you going to stand in line to vote for him?
  11. Angus

Angus Active Member

5,064 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    In order to vote for her, you've got to vote for him. They'll stand in the lines.

:)
  12. adamc91115

adamc91115 New Member

738 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Is that the cool thing these days? Just yell racist whenever someone says something you don't like?

This is all I'm hearing::cry2:
  13. jrumann59

jrumann59 Well-Known Member

3,459 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    I was called a racist the other day when i was talking to an associate at a subway. I said, "Its ok for a black person to vote for Obama because he is black but it is not ok for a white person to vote for McCain because he is white." I continued with "If Obama was white he wouldn't be getting the air play he gets from the media as being "messionic"". A young black couple over heard me and called me a racist, I said, "Why, because i do not run to the medias flavor of the week?". They said this, "If you were truly an American and believe that anyone should be president I HAVE to vote for Obama." I said, "I don't believe in a lot of what Obama espouses." They said, "So, wouldn't you like to tell your grandkids that you voted for the 1st black president, beliefs are secondary to the plight and suffering of a race that white America has taken advantage of." I said, "How come you guys are not this adamant about the Asian culture in this country, they were used to build this countries rail way system and many were interned during WWII." They then said, "You are wrong Asians were never slaves." I left after that comment and almost threw up.
  14. Bach

Bach Benched

7,645 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Pathetic, isn't it?

These people will play the race card at the drop of a hat.
  15. EveryoneElse

EveryoneElse Active Member

3,877 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    What a load of crap. The democratic party is reaching here, or should I say their press secratary's(media).

The only racism coming out of this campaign is straight from Obama, or his mediot friends.
  16. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

40,223 Messages
    789 Likes Received
    Its the only card they have to play= Racism. Anyone really looking hard at Obama should see there is no way he should be president now.
  17. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yep, just like some of the extreme conservatives on this board have been doing.

Ya know, like saying Barack Obama has only gotten ahead in life because he is black, blacks are the only group of people that vote based on race etc etc.

Heck, I heard tonight on one of the 24 hour news networks that a McCain supporter claimed that we didn't need to have Barack Obama as president because he is going to hire the rapper Ludacris and "Paint the Whitehouse black" (I kinda like the way it looks now) :eek: .

Its a powerful tool and both sides use it.
  18. EveryoneElse

EveryoneElse Active Member

3,877 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Please take the time to find a prominent Republican that has used race as a strategy in this campaign.

You won't be able to do that.

Obama has made his skin color an issue. Nobody else has.
  19. jman

jman Active Member

1,765 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  20. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt °¤~Cold Eternal~¤° Staff Member

58,869 Messages
    1,786 Likes Received
    He was not just a McCain supporter...he was the head of the McCain campaign office in a County in Virgina.

He has since been fired by the McCain Camp.