1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Obama aint done nothing

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by burmafrd, Jun 8, 2009.

1. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,803 Messages
    1,672 Likes Received
  2. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,270 Messages
    1,218 Likes Received
    Yay, they still hate us. Let's celebrate!
  3. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,186 Messages
    2,026 Likes Received
    I don't believe they will ever like us and I'll not miss sleep over that. However, I think it's very important that they respect us.
  4. Temo

Temo Active Member

3,735 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Actually over half of Iranians have a positive view of Americans. It's funny the stuff that gets through the press though.

Here's the full report: http://terrorfreetomorrow.org/upimagestft/TFT Iran Survey Report 0609.pdf
  5. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    It is interesting, in the article I posted, the CNN version of the TFT poll and this one, from the same org have completely different tones.
  6. Temo

Temo Active Member

3,735 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Other data from report:

Nearly 90% of Iranians support a peaceful Nuclear Energy deal with the US
    68% want to work with the US to reslove the Iraq war

60% favor full unconditional negotiations b/w Iran and US

In return for full trade with the US and recogition, 43% favor full transparency ban on nuclear arms, 52% would endorse a dual Israeli/Palestine 2 state solution, and 54% would end Iranian support for Armed groups in Iraq

Favorable opinions of various people among Iranians:
    55% Chinese
    50% Arab
    60% Turks
    51% French
    48% Americans

60% have a favorable opinion of Chrisitians
  7. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,514 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Yay!!

So this means that 90% of all Iranians aren't freaking terrorist jihadist waiting on a bus somewhere to be sent to my office and blow me the hell up?

Woot ??

Those people need to realize who they are voting into leadership roles. They need to kick a few idiot clerics to Somalia as well. Get those nutz OUT of those leadership roles.

Someone should just go ahead and lace the Kufteh and get it over with already. :p:
  8. Temo

Temo Active Member

3,735 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    In general, the overall picture seems to be that Iranians are more moderate than you would think, but that their government is extremist.

Furthermore, Iranians take a similar view of Americans: they don't really hate Americans, but they hate the US gov't, which they blame (rightly or wrongly) for supporting Israel and occupying Iraq.

Also interestingly, when tehy were asked the question "What do you need to see the US do to make you have a more favorable opinion", they said, in order:

1) Free Trade b/w US and Iran (69%)
    2) Withdrawal from Iraq (67%)
    3) Increase work/study visas to the US (60%)

I just thought that greater trade and migration to and from the US was just as important to Iranians as Iraq.
  9. Temo

Temo Active Member

3,735 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Well, they don't vote... not really anyway. Even this poll had to be taken from a neighboring country because the government controls all polling results from within the state.
  10. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    I'm close friends with a Persian doctor and he fills me in on a lot things in Iran. He was a kid during the revolution and his father a bodyguard for the Shah. Interesting times he lived through. The Iranian people are the closest to our way of thinking than any other country in the Mid East.

I know a lot of our troubles aren't a product of a radical population, but of a stringent form of government, holding fast to old ways and old grudges.
  11. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,434 Messages
    3,754 Likes Received
    True but the people do not run Iran the Ayatollah and their puppet Ahmadinejad run things. The black market for US goods and entertainment is very big in Iran but they have little say in how the religious leaders dictate policy
  12. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    It's a slow bleed, but discontent is widespread the younger generations. Young lawyers getting into politics are trying to change things. There probably won't be a thaw any time soon, but eventually they'll have to compromise in their ways of governing.
  13. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,434 Messages
    3,754 Likes Received
    Always easier said than done but yes it could change one day I don't see it coming anytime soon.
  14. Temo

Temo Active Member

3,735 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Yea, it's tough to "just wait" when national security could be on the line. Also interesting that Iranians are all for the most part in favor of great democracy but very few want the US to have a role.
  15. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
  16. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,803 Messages
    1,672 Likes Received
    Yep and do you say that when the Libs tout their polls?
  17. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    Um........yes.

And what about you? What do you say when the Libs tout their polls?