1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Obama backs Bush on detainee rights

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by irvin88, Feb 20, 2009.

1. irvin88

irvin88 Active Member

1,668 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The president agreed with the Bush policy, saying detainees in Afghanistan have no constitutional rights.
  2. iceberg

iceberg detoxed...part 2 Zone Supporter

28,394 Messages
    1,424 Likes Received
    but they do in gitmo?
  3. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,073 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    looks like Obama duped alot of people
  4. iceberg

28,394 Messages
    1,424 Likes Received
    there are certain highlights of american history that stand out. this will be one of them for so many reasons.

we're ripe for change and even russia says don't go socalist.

we seem to have too many people saying it can't happen here.

but it is.
  5. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,294 Messages
    1,245 Likes Received
    Is there a link of some sort so we can read what was actually said for ourselves and then judge?
  6. ThaBigP

ThaBigP New Member

2,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  7. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

15,499 Messages
    2,912 Likes Received
    I dont think Obama actually said on the campaign trail that detainees in Afghanistan had constitutional rights.

At least I dont remember him ever saying that, he mainly talked about closing Gitmo and not torturing the detainees any more. (that was code for no more waterboarding).

So technically, I dont think Obama has broken any campaign promises. He has indeed closed Gitmo (within the next 12 months) and he has indeed banned any interrogation techniques not in the Army Field Manual. (Although some advanced tactics may be authorized for CIA interrogators in the future that are more robust than the field manual but not to the level of waterboarding.)

Looks to me like Obama has kept his word on just about everything, I really dont see where he has contradicted himself. Now maybe some people thought he would go further than what he actually said, but that is a whole another matter.
  8. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,867 Messages
    1,708 Likes Received
    GITMO is not closed. So until it is....

He was one of those claiming they did have rights and he did not restrict it just to GITMO, he was talking about them in general.
  9. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

15,499 Messages
    2,912 Likes Received
    But there is a difference between having "some rights" and having "constitutional rights".

I never heard Obama say that detainees should have the same constitutional rights as American citizens. I dont think he ever said that on the campaign trail.
  10. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,867 Messages
    1,708 Likes Received
    Lots of Democrats have and did. He did not come out and say they did not have those rights either.
  11. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,848 Messages
    742 Likes Received
    It is all over the net and easy to find. Did you try google?

You are a big Obama apologist, probably the #1 Obama apologist here. Have fun explaining the actions of this chump president.

The silence from the Left is deafening. Bush is gone, no one to blame anymore. Can't blame Obama for anything. I love it. Finally, the Leftwing nutjobs have to shut their mouths.
  12. SkinsFan28

SkinsFan28 Active Member

1,015 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    Here is a good website:
    http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/

seems like he is keeping most, but i will say i told two big Obama supporters here that he was sending troops to Afghanistan, and they were upset, cuz they thought he was bringing them home. Sometimes saying he kept a promise (troops leaving iraq) only tells half the story(troops going to afghanistan).
    AND, IMO, alot of times, the second half of the story (for example the huge tax burden all of these recovery plans are putting on us) is never even told, or not told with conviction.
  13. ThaBigP

ThaBigP New Member

2,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Bip on the Obama supporters upset about a troop surge in Afghan. Obama SAID that's what he would do during the campaign! It was a cornerstone of his campaign and his base...the idea we diverted our attention needlessly towards Iraq and in so doing neglected Afghanistan, and we need to focus on Afghanistan.. It's just more proof positive that Obama supporters cared not a whiff what he said. They only heard what they *wanted* to hear. They used him as a screen onto which they could project all of the hopes, dreams, and fantasies. Textbook cult-of-personality, created by the supporters. Edit: I'd like to clarify, the hard-core, wacked completely out of their mind supporters. The screamers and fainters at his rallies. The "Oh my God!Oh my God! Thank you JEEEEEZUSSS! for your presense!" types (see video for example)

[youtube]TptsP4ryido[/youtube]
  14. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,294 Messages
    1,245 Likes Received
    haha, you don't know jack about me buddy, why pretend you do?

Just like the left wing nutjobs cried and moaned when Bush was president, all I see is a bunch of right wing nutjobs doing the same thing now, so I'm not surprised, just amused.
  15. ThaBigP

ThaBigP New Member

2,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    My God...I got curious as to the shirt the hyperventilating arseclown in the video was wearing...*something* Obama on the front. Got a good shot...it's T-Shirt with Martin Luther King's, and Barak Obama's names and images...but the curious bit is that the names are deliberately aligned and the last names set side-by-side so they spell out "King Obama".

Just nice.
  16. iceberg

28,394 Messages
    1,424 Likes Received
    if he's been at mcdonalds for 4 1/2 years cause he can't find another job, no amount of education can save him. and he wants the government to force his company to give him more.

nice.
  17. ThaBigP

ThaBigP New Member

2,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Word from those who patronize the McDonald's where he works is that he works only part-time. So factor that into the outrage equation.
  18. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,848 Messages
    742 Likes Received
    That video was hilarious. There is your typical Obama idiot-voter. He wants to major in communications so he can be a "reporter or DJ."

The idiot looks like a druggie. Maybe he could become a rapper. Draft that chump and send him to Afghanistan.
  19. ThaBigP

ThaBigP New Member

2,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Did you notice when Obama gave him an "atta boy" for ... ahem ... holding a job, mr "King Obama" looked like he started flashing signs and raising his hands to heaven to shower himself with mad props? This, my friends, is the product of a society that hands out trophies just for showing up.
  20. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,848 Messages
    742 Likes Received
    Was that dude just plain stupid or was he stoned? Or both? And how did that idiot get into college? Let me guess community college.

And to think, some of us are relying on idiots like that for our social security. Forget it. I'll have to work until I die.