1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Obama demanding ability to redraw Congressional districts???

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by ThaBigP, Feb 8, 2009.

1. ThaBigP

ThaBigP New Member

2,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  2. hairic

hairic Well-Known Member

2,477 Messages
    253 Likes Received
    We do need new Congressional districts.

Roughly 5,500 more.
  3. ThaBigP

ThaBigP New Member

2,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/first100days/2009/02/07/political-battle-brews-census/

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/capitol-briefing/2009/02/boehner_charges_obama_trying_t.html

http://www.govexec.com/dailyfed/0209/020609cdam2.htm?rss=getoday

There, I hope the URL Nazis are appeased. For those who do not know what a "URL Nazi" is, here's a definition:

URL Nazi: n. - A colloquial phrase describing one who dismisses a news article as untrue simply by virtue of the URL the news story is hosted on, or reported by. Often times this judgement is made without even bothering to review the news article.

Many psycologists have likened this to a form of affective social disorder, and is very similar to "denial" in its manifestations. A news story, psycologists suggest, is counter to an individual's already accepeted worldview, and so they seek an alternate means of dismissing the story as untrue that often has no basis whatsoever to the merits of the article. This allows the individual to continue justifying their worldview in the face of facts to the contrary, as any "evidence" to their worldview being in error can be quickly and conveniently dismissed as "inaccurate" or "propaganda". In the worst cases, a "URL Nazi" will even dismiss a news article hosted on a despised URL that is simply re-running a news story word-for-word from a news site the "URL Nazi" actually trusts.
  4. ThaBigP

ThaBigP New Member

2,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It's not about "we need new Congressional districts". It's about handing the Cheif Executive veto and review power. In other words, the ability to redraw districts to favor their party. Don't matter who it is, no Pres should have that much power.
  5. DIAF

DIAF DivaLover159

4,012 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    Uh, thanks for that, I guess. Did you want us to award you a prize or something? Is this thread about the ability to redraw congressional districts, or is it about URL nazis?

:confused:
  6. ThaBigP

ThaBigP New Member

2,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I had to make it about both...everytime I post from WND, even if WND is simply rerunning a story from AP, I get TONS and TONS of replys of "not gonna bother...it's WND". Or, "I presume the opposite of this story is true...after all it's WND". You get the same stuff for posting Fox News stories from time to time, or Newsmax.
  7. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Why bother with this guy???

claims to be conservative but posts like a lib.

Wolf in sheep's clothing.
  8. DIAF

DIAF DivaLover159

4,012 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
  9. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,027 Messages
    769 Likes Received
    I don't blame people for being skeptical about certain websites.

I do not believe a thing only posted on huffington post or daily kos.
  10. ThaBigP

ThaBigP New Member

2,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I can't even tell if Cajun was calling *me* out as a lib in sheep's clothing, or DIAF...but in any event I've been pretty much forced further and further into the libertarian category after watching Bush bet the farm on Medicare Part D, McCain/Feingold, and the TARP crap. Then there was the "Republican Principle Sellout" fiasco generally referred to as the '08 election. I can't put my loyalties to a party as a blanket policy...only the Constitution and what our Republic was *supposed* to be in the eyes of our Founders. I firmly believe in limited government and federalism, even when "my guys" are in charge. After all, to become one of "my guys" (or gals), you'd have to share the same idea.
  11. ThaBigP

ThaBigP New Member

2,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    As for me, I won't even dismiss articles posted there *just because* they're posted on one of those sites. I will at least read what they have to say and try to line it up with other available facts. Sure, sites like that mix their news with tons of opinion...that's fine...I'll sift through that until the facts they declare in evidence come out, then examine them for myself.
  12. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,039 Messages
    144 Likes Received
    But were these same guys *****in' when Tom Delay did it?

It is a major amount of power, to have control of the census data, or the gerrymandering therof.

No real info on what 'oversight' means in this context.
  13. ThaBigP

ThaBigP New Member

2,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Except, in the instance you cite, it was the STATE OF TEXAS redrawing it's own districts, through the legistlature. Sure the Republicans got their way owing to their majority status, ticking off the Democrats in the process and sending them running to Oklahoma to prevent a vote. However, that only follows years of Democratic redrawing in decades prior - that's how it's done unfortunately. But at least that process rested in the state's legislative body. In the instance cited by the article, the final arbiter of redrawing nation-wide will rest with one man.
  14. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,039 Messages
    144 Likes Received
    Bull. There were major qualitative differences.

Sorry, I have been there. Texas redistrictated every legislative session after the census. There was a lot of political interplay in the redistricting, with both sides working it, mostly to set up safe districts for their crews. Certainly, everyone wanted their advantage. No question. But, aside from redistricting forced by court decisions, that's how it was done.

Delay (you know, the US Rep) came in, in middle of the decade with the idea of redistricting again....to gain five seats in congress. Abromoff style money was funneled in to help fund and sweeten the deal. Classic MO. "It's not technically illegal, even if it has never been done before." So fight it out in the courts; they owned the Texas Supreme Court anyway.

It's the exploitation of every loophole and questionable tactic for increased power. That was always my biggest beef with the Bush administration, as it set a new standard for abuse. We had all better hope that it doesn't continue, 'cause it is a bad thing.
  15. ThaBigP

ThaBigP New Member

2,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If you don't like what DeLay did, fine. I don't have a problem with that. But you keep trying to tie this to the Bush administration, as if he was able to redraw the districs. Nope, he wasn't. I don't care *how* a state legislature wrangles with itself to redraw districts, so long as it stays with the states. This case went to the Surpeme Court, and if it was some blatent violation I'd think they would have overturned it. They also were required to get Justice Dept approval for each and every redraw...they got it. Then they got the Supreme Court's blessing.

The ONLY issue brought up as a legal challenge was that the opponents claimed this was a 2nd redraw within the 10 year term. But the legislature did NOT draw the lines the first time, a court did. This was the first time in the alloted 10 year period that the state legislature redrew the lines. And...this happens every time it's done...the Dems had control for quite a while and redrew to their party's benefit. Dead silence from the left, and the Republicans didn't go screaming and crying over the TX/OK border in a temper tantrum that they didn't get their way.

The issue boils down to this: Do the states get to redraw their own districts, or does the President get final say? I'd no more want Bush demanding final authority...NATION WIDE...for all redistricting than I would Obama...or any other President.
  16. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,006 Messages
    1,100 Likes Received
    FYI, states have control over drawing congressional districts.

And the president controls the Commerce Department anyway.
  17. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Ironic. :D
  18. ThaBigP

ThaBigP New Member

2,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Was it...like rain? On your wedding day?
    Or a free ride? When you've already paid?
    Or good advice, that you just didn't take?
    And would you think it'd figure?
  19. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,910 Messages
    350 Likes Received
    Wow... do you not realize the Dems did this for years when it was blue state?

Texas has always been conservative... it just took the Dems going off the deep end with the national party to lose the state...

Gerrymandering is not specific to Texas, but is a way of life... right or wrong...

To say this was new ground with Delay, is to show your ignorance to Texas politics...
  20. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

15,133 Messages
    2,331 Likes Received
    Trick, I'm putting you in charge of districting in Texas.:D