1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Obama ends Europe trip with tour of mosque

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by JBond, Apr 8, 2009.

1. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,726 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    Obama ends Europe trip with tour of Istanbul mosque

http://www.breitbart.com/article.ph...32827b0fccfe560b.421&show_article=1&catnum=-1

US President Barack Obama visited a landmark mosque in Istanbul on Tuesday, following strong messages of US reconciliation with the Islamic world on his maiden trip to a mainly Muslim country.

Taking off his shoes as tradition requires, Obama stepped into the 17th-century Sultanahmet Mosque in the ancient heart of Istanbul, accompanied by Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan amid tight security in the area.

Two Muslim preachers guided Obama inside the grandiose edifice -- better known as the Blue Mosque for its blue tileworks -- and the president smiled when they showed him a dome scripture mentioning the Prophet Mohammed's grandson Hussein, Obama's middle name, Anatolia news agency reported.

In a major speech at the Turkish parliament in Ankara Monday, Obama declared that the United States "is not and never will be at war with Islam" and called Turkey a "critical ally," earning himself much praise in a country where his predecessor left the US image in tatters.

"Obama conquers hearts," the popular Vatan newspaper trumpeted on its front page, while the liberal Taraf said the speech marked the end of "the bellicose spirit of September 11."

Following up on his appeal for dialogue and inter-faith understanding, Obama met on Tuesday with Muslim, Christian and Jewish spiritual leaders based in Istanbul, Turkey's largest city and the meeting point of Europe and Asia.

He combined his visit to the Blue Mosque with a tour of the 6th-century Hagia Sophia church, a masterpiece of Byzantine architecture across the Islamic edifice.

The church was converted to a mosque when the Ottomans conquered Istanbul in 1453, and was finally transformed into a museum in the 1930s, still featuring both biblical paintings and Islamic scriptures.

Obama also met with university students before wrapping up his two-day visit to Turkey and his d㩢t trip to Europe later on Tuesday.

A Turkish security official said a man was detained in Istanbul last week on suspicion he plotted to kill Obama. But police then established the man was mentally disturbed and released him.

Since his election, Obama has already won significant popularity in Turkey, a NATO member and a key Muslim ally of the United States, and is keen to improve ties that chilled over the US invasion of neighbouring Iraq in 2003 and former president George W. Bush's policies in the Middle East.

A public opinion poll found in February that 39.2 percent of Turks had confidence in Obama, making him "the most trusted leader" in Turkish eyes.

In 2005, only 9.3 percent said they trusted Bush, giving him only a slight lead over Al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden, who had the confidence of 4.6 percent.

On Monday, Obama hardened his message in support of Turkey's bid to join the European Union, despite French and German opposition.

Turkey and the United States, he said, could set an example to the world by building a "model partnership" based on democratic values, including respect for religious diversity.

In more pointed messages, Obama called on Turkey to step up EU-demanded democracy reforms and broaden the freedoms of non-Muslim minorities and the restive Kurdish community.

He urged normalisation of ties with Armenia, while signalling that Washington would not interfere in their dispute on whether the mass killings of Armenians under the Ottoman Empire in the early 20th century was genocide.

Obama's decision to include Turkey in his first trip to Europe is largely seen as an effort to keep the country firmly anchored in the West.

Turkey's Islamist-rooted government has recently given rise to fears that it is drifting away from the West, forging closer ties with countries such as Iran and Sudan and welcoming leaders of the radical Palestinian movement Hamas in Ankara.
  2. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,073 Messages
    1 Likes Received
  3. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,243 Messages
    4,572 Likes Received
    I Knew It...manchurian Candidate!!11!!1!
  4. Jarv

Jarv Loud pipes saves lives. Zone Supporter

7,105 Messages
    132 Likes Received
    Yeah, he bowed to the King of Saudi Arabia but not to the Queen of England.

So, he won't bow to a Christian or a women...But to the Muslim male king he will.

Nice....Look out Women...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEUif1--r38&NR=1
  5. BrAinPaiNt

61,243 Messages
    4,572 Likes Received
    I just hope he does not start holding hands and kissing Saudi Princes...

[IMG]

I think this whole thing is a secret government coverup of homosexual relationships between US presidents and Saudi Princes.
  6. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    I used to bow to my karate teacher. Tried to translate over to the grocery bagger at the supermarket and it didn't go so well.

Time and place for everything I suppose.
  7. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,389 Messages
    578 Likes Received

Wow, really, comparing the two. One is tradition, the other is common respect? So you agree irking our ally vs being respectful to someone who doesnt care for your country, thats all well and good?

I can agree if Obama is trying to build better relations, but again, dont tell our allies, well you are already friends, who cares how i greet you, but this King over here, I gotta tow the line for him.
  8. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

13,163 Messages
    864 Likes Received
    I think you are on to something.

Interesting.
  9. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,726 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    Excellent point. Well said. It is should be crystal clear even to the Obama appologists what Barry's agenda is.
  10. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,272 Messages
    1,218 Likes Received
    Bingo!

Why is it so quiet in here all of a sudden?
  11. ShiningStar

6,389 Messages
    578 Likes Received

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do when you want oil. :lmao2::lmao2:

Good point tho Count.
  12. Jarv

Jarv Loud pipes saves lives. Zone Supporter

7,105 Messages
    132 Likes Received
    And dissing the queen of England was oh sooo classy...:)

Of course some Muslims don't think women should be allowed to go to school either. I wonder what kind of Muslim Obuya is ?
  13. ShiningStar

6,389 Messages
    578 Likes Received

Im not agreeing with it. But im not going to argue with people who have no problem with disrespecting our allies but kissing butt with enemies. But thats not what im refering to about his post.

Obama has proved to us that hes going to go Muslim with this and Americans are okay with it. If thats what they want, have at it, but when the chips fall, they are going to be disappointed.

Ill also add this point after thought, if the women of other countries and religions are fine with how they are treated, my opinion is not going to matter.

Now Obama's team has had to have told him the Queen of England is a real queen and its not pretend like what hes doing, but if not, thats on them, and if they did, well Obama made his people proud by disrespecting her and letting her know his time is not for her.
  14. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,457 Messages
    3,769 Likes Received
    And oil dropped under 2 bucks after that kiss. :lmao:
  15. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,186 Messages
    2,027 Likes Received
    At what point does FP Bush become excused from this conversation. He has been raked over the coals and repeatedly punished for being President of the United States. At what point does this become the responsability of President Obama?

I suspect never if the Left has there way.

The piece of this that seems to be ingnored is the simple fact that this Administration lied about it. Why would they do that? Clearly the President bowed deeply. Why would you lie and say he did not do that? If you don't feel as though you have to be ashamed of that instance, why lie to the American people about it?

As many have already said on this board, it was a pretty stupid thing to do but trying to lie about doing it was what the real concern should be.
  16. BrAinPaiNt

61,243 Messages
    4,572 Likes Received

Clinton has been out of the white house for 8 years but just this week he was also being blamed for the problems in N.Korea.

You don't think W is going to be let go after less than a 100 days now do you...since the right won't let go of Willie after 8 years?
  17. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,940 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    Whoa... that's out of context if you were referring to me...

I stated he bears some responsibility for his policies... and he does...

I also offered documentation...

There are things you can hang on former presidents when their policy still has reaching effects. I think Carter's was the most disastrous and still affects us 30 years later...

I haven't heard Bill mentioned around here too much in quite a while...
  18. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,878 Messages
    1,478 Likes Received
    Wait I am really getting confused. Is Saudi Arabia an ally of the U.S. or not?

I don't think they are and have felt that way for a long time. I especially felt that way after 9/11 when it was found out a majority of the terrorists were from SA. Yet when I saw things brought up about Bush and his long standing relations with royal family members of SA I was told that indeed they were an ally. Which one is it? They either are or they aren't. If they were an ally to the US when Bush was in office then the same holds true now. If they weren't back when Bush was in office then they aren't now.

And who cares about the frickin queen of england. Yes, England is an ally, but she holds no power.
  19. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received

I assume then that you are not familiar with what bowing means.
  20. BrAinPaiNt

61,243 Messages
    4,572 Likes Received
    But it was still obvious in that specific case who you were referring to. Also you were not the only one.

Heck people will still bring up Ronny as well.

So I honestly don't get when people complain about bringing up W when Ronny and Clinton are still brought on occasion.