1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Obama Faces Calls to Grab

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by ShiningStar, Aug 31, 2009.

1. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,204 Messages
    528 Likes Received
    Health Care Reins From Congress

President Obama is facing mounting calls to intervene and give the health care reform debate a second chance at attracting broad-based support, by introducing his own bill.

FOXNews.com
    Monday, August 31, 2009
    With public support waning, President Obama is at a crossroads on health care reform: Does he attempt to breathe life into Congress' efforts or do something more drastic -- offer his own solution?

The president faces these questions as Congress returns next week from a summer recess which by most accounts took a heavy toll on reform legislation.

And more and more lawmakers, analysts and newspapers are suggesting Congress start from scratch, and some say Obama should take charge and introduce his own bill.

"I think the only way the president can turn the public debate around and win over a lot of scared, confused people is to put forward his own plan, and to spend the time and capital necessary to explain it," said Democratic strategist Dan Gerstein. "There needs to be an Obama plan. ... One of the biggest mistakes the president made was subcontracting this to Congress."

While the president has played the role of cheerleader-in-chief for health care reform and submitted his own guidelines for legislation, he left the work of writing and negotiating the bill to the House and Senate.

This effort has led to splits in the Democratic Party, particularly in the House, over the cost of the bill and the inclusion of a government-run insurance plan. Meanwhile, the prolonged negotiations offered an opening for critics to mount aggressive campaigns against the most liberal versions of the bill. These criticisms no doubt played a role in the heated nature of town hall meetings held across the country in which constituents fumed about the package -- sometimes citing legitimate concerns, and sometimes citing misconceptions about the bill that were pushed by critics.

Hopes for a bipartisan plan now rest with a single committee in the Senate where progress is in question -- the alternative is for Democrats to ram through what Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid describes as a "partisan" bill.

Enter Obama?
    Former Senate Majority Leader Bob Dole wrote in a column Monday that Obama should have Democratic leaders introduce his version of a bill when they return from recess.

"Obama should be out front with his specific plan on this make-or-break issue," Dole wrote.

Analysts have long noted that Obama kept his distance from the legislative process in a clear attempt to avoid the mistakes of the Clinton administration, which was criticized for micro-managing its failed attempt at health care legislation. To take the legislative reins away from House and Senate Democrats at this point would also be a stunning rebuke to the president's own party.

But Dole said Obama's approval ratings would jump if he got more involved and took charge, and that such a turnaround could produce a "bipartisan ending" that Americans would support.

Asked about the suggestion, White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs defended the role the president has played to date, saying he's met with key House and Senate leaders on the legislation along with pushing his own principles for the bill.

"To characterize the role the president is playing as inactive would be inaccurate," Gibbs said.

Another option for Obama is to simply embrace one of the bills on the table, something he has not yet done.

Gerstein said that if the Senate Finance Committee, the last of five committees to consider the legislation, reaches a compromise Obama could move the debate forward by embracing that version -- a version that may not include the controversial "public option."

But Gerstein noted that those deliberations are in doubt.

Over the weekend, Sen. Mike Enzi, R-Wyo., one of three Republican negotiators working with three Democrats on that version, slammed Democrats in the Republicans' weekly radio address.
    He accused Democrats of trying to "rush" a bill through and failing to control costs.

Such statements do little to engender a sense of harmony in the delicate Senate negotiations.

If that effort at compromise fails, some lawmakers have pushed for the Senate to ram through a bill using a legislative maneuver informally called the "nuclear option," which would allow Democrats to pass the bill with a smaller majority than usual.

Republicans bristle at that possibility.

House Minority Leader John Boehner said in a recent statement that instead, Obama and congressional Democrats should "scrap this costly plan" and start over.
    Another option for Obama is to simply let the bills die and return to fight for it next year.

But Jason Schechter, former spokesman for President Clinton, said nobody should be signing the death certificate on health care reform.

"I don't think it's quite as dire as it seems like it's been over the past few weeks," he said, urging patience for the work of the Senate Finance Committee.

"There's been a tough road to bipartisanship," he said. "I wouldn't say that bipartisanship is dead."
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,878 Messages
    2,119 Likes Received
    If he is willing to take out the public option he very well could get some of the republicans to work with him.
  3. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    A national health care insurance plan would be ideal to me, allowing coverage for all Americans while also allowing for private insurance plans as well. I think the main issue causing problems with the system is illegal immigrants who, as Zrin says, "muck up the system".

If we can eliminate those who put an illegal financial strain on the system then we do this whole health care plan more justice. Doing that, in and of itself, would cut costs from those who damage the financial integrity of the health care system. Illegal immigrants simply need to be cut from being treated. That would help not only the HC system, but also do some good in discouraging illegal immigrants.

That's a middle ground I think most would be okay with.
  4. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    You can't have a government run health care plan. It will put private health insurance companies out of business and transfer 1/3 of the nations economy to the government. The government doesn't have to make a profit. The private companies do to stay in business.

You will have mass, and I mean MASS layoffs if this crap ever goes into effect.
  5. ShiningStar

6,204 Messages
    528 Likes Received

I dont think you are getting it Cajun, they dont care. Its not, what mess will this bring upon us. Its getting people like McCoy on board of the government running everything. People want to defend Obama is smart, okay look where all this has failed before. That would tell anyone who is "smart" this wont work.

Maybe he wants to change things up and get it to work, okay, 83 percent of your country doesnt want it. Lets jam it down their throats anyway. If the media keeps at it, they will run these people down and that is the intent.
  6. CowboyMcCoy

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    To be honest, I'm torn on the issue too. I don't like the idea of handing health care over to the government and I think a lot of "Democrats" feel this way despite previous support for it. If we do it, though, it has to be with insurance that doesn't eliminate the option for private insurance. How effective that will be is beyond me. I'm no expert at this, but doing that doesn't give complete control to the government.

I do know that illegal immigrants must be stopped from putting a strain on the system. And if we disallow them to be treated altogether, I think a lot of them will migrate back home.

The crux of this whole problem, in my opinion, is treating people who will never pay a red cent into the medical system nor the tax system in most cases. So, given this, we're at a double loss when we treat these people. My stance on this is firm now, when it was once in the middle. But illegal immigrants of all kinds should be denied access to our health care system.

This kills two birds with one stone, so-to-speak.

Agree?
  7. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    But Obama and company as compassionate liberals will not shut out the Illegals. You know that.
  8. ShiningStar

6,204 Messages
    528 Likes Received

hmm no, first of all your idea of the immigrants doesnt work that way. The healthcare was not the only reason they came here. Than what would you say when Obama is trying to make all illegals, legal and the numbers still put a strain on the system? Will that still make it better?

Can you give me 5 businesses the government took over and them work more efficient? This is still simple stuff, it does not work.
  9. CowboyMcCoy

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    My question is: when have many Americans not been able to receive health care system under the way it is currently set up?
  10. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I agree. That is a great place to start. And it would seriously lighten the burden on the system. However, when you have anything government run, wich is essentially a give away, taxpayers eventually end up footing the bill. So not only would you pay for private insurance (if it were to survive and you choose to buy it) but you would also pay for those who in all likelihood would not be paying a "red cent". So you are still ending up with the same scenario.

In the end, if they would just visit tort reform, you would see a lot of progress made in making health care more affordable. In the end that is what this should be about. Not just handing another freebie out to people.
  11. CowboyMcCoy

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    I understand your view. But think about the U.S. postal system. I may not be able to get the works using them, but I can also opt out for all I'd want using UPS or Fed Ex. However, I do understand the U.S. postal service doesn't reap the profits of other private businesses. Yet, to me, this shouldn't be about profits. It should be about health care for Americans only, which is why I'm confused why we need a new health care plan at all.

I received surgery when my insurance was expired, but I had a 3 day grace period to renew it. So I did. It wouldn't have mattered either way. They treated me without it, so my experience with hospitals is good.

Shoot, I'd be happy enough just making it illegal for illegal immigrants to be treated at all. The only cost we should bear in emergency rooms for them is the cost of INS deporting them home.

Don't confuse me with an advocate of this plan, SS. I'm just discussing the options on the table. As it stands now, I'm against it.
  12. CowboyMcCoy

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    I agree. Not to mention, I'm for the privatization of HC mostly because of how it effects medicine. Sure, we could still have private drug companies. But with the government funding their success, I'm not sure I want that. Though I don't think drug companies are altogether ethical when it comes to dictating their cost, I don't want to see the research end of medicine decline because the government can't afford the bill.

Like I said, I'm torn on the issue. For now, I'm against it. There are a lot of issues that haven't even begun to be addressed.
  13. ShiningStar

6,204 Messages
    528 Likes Received

What happens when Obama makes all illegals legals? Should they get that same health care as well and your system still doesnt work.
  14. CowboyMcCoy

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    We have to in order to save the medical system as well as dignify the economic and legal system.
  15. CowboyMcCoy

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    I'm not sure I'm aware of this plan. I do remember Bush's amnesty suggestion. I haven't heard it from Obama yet tho.
  16. ShiningStar

6,204 Messages
    528 Likes Received

Obama has said, before the whole health care debate, that he wants to make all illegals legals before december. Of course the time table changed, but its a plan he wants to do. This will effect the health care I feel. Do you agree?
  17. CowboyMcCoy

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Oh Lawd. I do agree. And if he ever does that, or even tries to pass it, then we're in for a big mess. I know it will never get the votes to pass tho.

Maybe he'll change his mind and his civilian army can be in charge deporting people who are here illegally.
  18. Angus

Angus Active Member

5,064 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    But not the 'humanitarian' way? Bleeding hearts would be outraged. Let those poor people and their children suffer as have-nots while the haves enjoy care? Not on your life, they will say - and mean it.

I agree with you that illegal immigrants should not be covered, but that is because they should leave - en masse.

:D
  19. CowboyMcCoy

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Yep, and take their accordions with them. ;)
  20. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    but keep the monkeys