1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Obama Getting Heat for Turning Up the Oval Office Thermostat

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by JBond, Feb 4, 2009.

1. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,728 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    Obama Getting Heat for Turning Up the Oval Office Thermostat

President Obama lectured voters during the campaign about the need to make sacrifices for the environment. But now it's warm and toasty in the White House -- so much so that aides have likened it to a tropical hot house -- and Obama is under fire for turning up the heat.

Obama made climate change a staple of his stump speech last year, calling on Americans to lower their energy use and set a model for the rest of the world in combating climate change.

During a campaign event in Oregon in May, Obama said we have to "lead by example." "We can't drive our SUVs and eat as much as we want and keep our homes on 72 degrees at all times," he said.
    "That's not leadership. That's not going to happen."

But for the first few weeks of his presidency, that's precisely what has happened in the White House.
    On the first day of his presidency, Obama allowed staffers to venture into the Oval Office without wearing coat and tie, which had been obligatory under President Bush. Fashion observers called it a new age of business casual at the White House.

Obama's aides had a simpler explanation. Though he's spent more than 20 years in Chicago, the president was born in Hawaii. And so he "likes it warm" in the Oval Office, said Chief of Staff David Axelrod. "You could grow orchids in there," he told the New York Times.

But while it's perpetual summer in the Oval Office, the rest of the country has been trudging through a tough winter. Ice storms have cut power to millions in the Midwest and South.

With few orchids growing in the heartland, critics are saying that Obama -- who urged individual sacrifice in an inaugural address that called for a "new era of responsibility" -- hasn't been willing to bear the cold with the rest of the country.

"It's stunning hypocrisy," said Christopher Horner, a senior fellow at the Competitive Enterprise Institute and author of two books critical of global warming activists. "Obama spins the dial up, takes off his coat and seeks to mandate that we turn the dial down," he said.

Obama could take a lesson from one of his predecessors, critics say.

During the gasoline shortage of the 1970s, President Jimmy Carter famously donned a cardigan and turned down the thermostat in the White House. He urged the nation to do the same during a notably chilly fireside chat he gave from his cooled-off home -- a symbolic gesture intended to move other Americans to go easy on the country's depleted stores of energy.

Charles Ebinger, director of the Energy Security Initiative at the Brookings Institute, said that presidential roles and security measures will necessarily prevent Obama from being completely green.

"No one can justify from an energy-efficiency standpoint riding in a bulletproof car, but as president of the United States I think we need to protect his security," he said. "Symbolically it's important, but I wouldn't read too much into it."

The 800-square-foot Oval Office accounts for only a small part of the White House's overall area: at 55,000 square feet, the Georgian mansion is a public institution, and taxpayers cover the cost of powering a building that is part dwelling, part museum and the nerve center of the Executive Branch of the U.S. government.

The White House began going green during the 1990s, and reports from the Department of Energy show that innovations and changes have saved hundreds of thousands of dollars in energy costs each year for the buildings that house White House staff.

Obama's White House declined to comment on the president's personal energy use, but did note that his stimulus package will continue the greening trend, paving the way for 75 percent of federal buildings to be modernized to increase their energy efficiency.

Yet in the sanctum sanctorum of executive power, Obama has kept it steamy -- literally. The entire White House complex is heated by steam radiators, part of an old energy system that continues to undergo renovations.
    Critics say it's time for the president to put his coat -- or his cardigan -- back on.

Horner said the president should follow the demands he's made of the rest of the country and start "turning down the dial and putting on a sweater instead of [demanding] sacrifice he talks about for other people."

But some energy experts say Obama, who made energy efficiency a cornerstone of his campaign, needs to stay on message.

"He's got to make every American make a personal commitment" to decrease their own energy use and educate the country about the threat of climate change, he said. "The earlier the president can convey that message the better."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/02/03/obama-getting-heat-for-turning-up-thermostat/
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,904 Likes Received
    What happened to that chicago toughness he was talking about the other day. :laugh2:
  3. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,304 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    Remember the liberal mantra. Do as I say not as I do.
  4. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,904 Likes Received
    In honor of Obama I will go home and turn up my thermostat 5 degrees even though the high will be in the 60's today. :laugh2:
  5. canters

canters Active Member

1,797 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    The tax issues of some of his nominees as well as stuff like this leave him and the Dems open to charges of being hypocrites.

"They don't mind higher taxes 'cause they don't pay them"

"Do what I say, not what I do"

see-Al Gore's home in Nashville-----John Edward's home in Chapel Hill----
    all the celeb-u-tards (eviromental wackos) that flew their jets to DC to see Obama put in office.
  6. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,904 Likes Received
    Then pull up in an SUV that can hold 8 and only 1 or 2 people get out. :laugh2:
  7. CowboyWay

CowboyWay If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State

4,171 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    Is this what the media's become? Attacking a guy because his office is hot? And people wonder why others get turned off by the news.
  8. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,728 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    I'm turned off by disingenuous liars. I called Bush out when he was wrong and I will do so when Obama continues to do the opposite of what he ran on.

Liberals love to talk but none of them seem able to walk the walk.
  9. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,304 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    First of all, its pointing out his hypocracy. Second, you are just now noticing the news is like this? LOL
  10. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,904 Likes Received
    No it is an example of telling the people what they need to do and not following your own advice.
  11. DaBoys4Life

DaBoys4Life Benched

15,621 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Well when you talk about energy and cutting back on energy and your office has the heat way up....then yeah I guess it's valid.
  12. avaj

avaj Guest

If this is news to you all, I hate to live your life. :rolleyes:
  13. DaBoys4Life

DaBoys4Life Benched

15,621 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Oh noes here's comes the 1337 post that's he's so cool he doesn't consider this news ZOMG!!!!
  14. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,728 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    So to you this is leading by example? Obama needs to stop running his mouth if he can't back it up with his own actions.

If he was not yapping about leading by example I never would have posted the article. Face it. Obama is just another elitist that feels the need to lecture others on how to live their lives yet is incapable of following his own advise.
  15. CowboyWay

CowboyWay If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State

4,171 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    So the guy wants to make all the presidential cavalcade green, he wants to expand on the incredible wind power we have in this country, and work on getting the people to embrace all this technology, but because the guy is cold and he turns up the furnace in his office a few degrees, its hypocrisy?

C'mon man, you're reaching here. He's been in office 2 weeks. Maybe he's got a cold, maybe its drafty, but to sit here and tell him to stop running his mouth and is incapable of following his own advice is just stupid.
  16. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,292 Messages
    1,243 Likes Received
    This has got to be the dumbest, most ridiculous topic ever argued.

If the president of the United States wants to walk around in a velvet jump suit like George Costonaza, let the man. This is as dumb as people arguing he shouldn't smoke, and I detest smoking.
  17. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,904 Likes Received
    It is not the fact that he is doing this it is the fact he preaches to others about conserving and yet he is doing opposite of what he is telling people they should do.
  18. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,514 Messages
    1 Likes Received

You have had some doozies yourself. Don't start throwing stones.

Ive have seen some of your posts. :lmao2:
  19. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,292 Messages
    1,243 Likes Received
    I've have seen some of your posts as well.

I understand why some people are seizing on it as yet another reason to argue against the man, but you're telling me you don't see how this could possibly be a ridiculous argument?
  20. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,514 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Of course its rediculous. Folks are pointing out the hipocracy though. Something you are refusing to ignore. Which is par the course when it goes against your argument. Head in the sand and ignore it. Works great. :rolleyes:

Stop crying because everyone isn't goo-goo over Obama. That is really all your doing. :(