1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Obama hiding from press... Afraid to answer questions

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Cajuncowboy, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    He's afraid of even the very ones who's in the tank for him.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/10/obama-shuns-pre.html

Obama Shuns Press Conferences, Sits With 'EXTRA!'s' Mario Lopez

October 26, 2008 6:56 PM

On Oct. 24, 2007, Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., said that as president he would hold regular press conferences and "not just call on my four favorite reporters."

Ht_obama_lopez_081026_blog But the Democratic presidential nominee hasn't held a full press conference -- submitting himself to more than a handful of questions from his whole press corps -- in more than a month, since Sept. 24, 2008, in Clearwater, Fla.

The candidate often bemoans the media asking silly and superficial questions. The media isn't focused on the important issues facing the nation, he complains.

On Saturday in Nevada, Obama sat for an exclusive interview with Mario Lopez, the actor who played "A.C. Slater" on "Saved by the Bell," to air on the TV show "EXTRA!"

According to the promotional materials from "EXTRA!," "Asked about the tragic news that (actress Jennifer) Hudson's mother and brother were killed Friday in Chicago, Obama states, 'Oh it was heartbreaking, in fact I'm still trying to get a phone number to call her at this tragic time. She is somebody who has campaigned for me, she also lives in my community. So, we're really going to have to help her and pray for her and her family during this difficult time.'"

One of the problems his press corps has in gaining access to the frontrunner is the fact that Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., whose life used to be a roving press availability, has cordoned himself off from the media except in drips and drabs.

Earlier this year, many in the media thought McCain's reputation for access and openness would force Obama to follow suit; instead the opposite dynamic has played out as Obama's campaign justifies Obama's refusal to take questions by pointing to his far less accessible rival.

-- jpt
  2. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

15,490 Messages
    2,901 Likes Received
    If McCain wont do press conferences, why should Obama???

Seriously, this is the smart play here by Obama. He basically has this thing won so the risk vs. reward for him to do a press conference does not make sense.......strategically speaking.

If I was advising Obama, I would tell him the same thing. "You got this thing won, the McCain campaign is coming apart at the seams pointing fingers, so the only thing that could do any damage is a major gaffe, so it is not worth the risk".

All Obama has to do is just run out the clock..........he has a 14 point lead with 1:00 left on the clock basically.
  3. Wheat

Wheat Philosopher

2,924 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Exactly. Seems like you're pissed that the guy with the lead is playing it smart.

If anything, what people are saying now is McCain needs to pick a message, stick with it, and talk about what he's "for" and not what he's "against".

McCain was a media darling for so long, and would always give these huge interviews. Now that he knows the questions will be tough. He doesn't want to do them?
  4. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    My problem is that he is the chosen one by the media. They are the ones complicit in his lies and deceptions and now, when it looks to be a bit rocky, he ducks them.

Thought it was funny.
  5. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Superpunk interviewed Obama? :laugh2:
  6. Jordan55

Jordan55 Active Member

1,176 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Change we can Believe in!

Today on my way to lunch I passed a homeless guy with a
    > sign that
    > read "Vote Obama, I need the money." I laughed.
    > Once in the
    > restaurant my server had on a "Obama 08" tie,
    > again I laughed as he
    > had given away his political preference--just imagine the
    > coincidence.
    >
    > When the bill came I decided not to tip the server and
    > explained to him that I was exploring the Obama
    > redistribution of
    > wealth concept. He stood there in disbelief while I told
    > him that I
    > was going to redistribute his tip to someone who I deemed
    > more in
    > need--the homeless guy outside.
    >
    > The server angrily stormed from my sight. I went outside,
    > gave the
    > homeless guy $10 and told him to thank the server inside as
    > I've
    > decided he could use the money more.
    >
    > The homeless guy was grateful. At the end of my rather
    > unscientific
    > redistribution experiment I realized the homeless guy was
    > grateful
    > for the money he did not earn, but the waiter was pretty
    > angry that I
    > gave away the money he did earn even though the actual
    > recipient
    > needed money more. I guess redistribution of wealth is an
    > easier
    > thing to swallow in concept than in practical application.
  7. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

15,490 Messages
    2,901 Likes Received
    Wheat, I really dont think even picking a single message (like taxes) and trying to hammer it home is going to change the polls all that much, just too little time left.

This would have been a good strategy 2 months ago.
  8. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    And yet Sarah Palin just now started doing several press conferences.

Barack Obama appears to be the frontrunner, it is to his advantage to limit exposure and therefore any critical mistakes.

John McCain would be doing the same thing if he were in Barack Obama's position.
  9. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :hammer:
  10. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Such courage.

Obama makes time again for 'The Daily Show'
    By BEN FELLER, Associated Press

CHESTER, Pa. – Gotta make time to laugh in a campaign —and court the youth vote.

In the midst of a mad dash toward the election, Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama will make time Wednesday to appear on Comedy Central's "The Daily Show" with its host, Jon Stewart.

The satirical news review, which covers the election under the banner of "Indecision 2008," offers candidates a chance to show off their ability to be humorous if they can respond off the cuff.

Stewart also tends to put candidates on the spot on news of the day.

Obama will tape his appearance via satellite during a campaign swing in Florida on Wednesday. The segment is scheduled to air at 11 p.m. EDT.

This will be Obama's fourth time on the show. He last appeared on April 21, the eve of the Democratic primary in Pennsylvania.
  11. Jordan55

Jordan55 Active Member

1,176 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    And the Press hiding from the American People?

McCain camp demands L.A. Times release video

John McCain's campaign is demanding that the Los Angeles Times release a video of a party for a prominent Palestinian activist that Barack Obama attended in 2003.

The Times described the going-away party for former University of Chicago professor, and Obama friend, Rashid Khalidi, in a story in April. The story reported that Palestinians thought they might have a friend in Obama because of his friendships in that community, despite the fact that his positions have never been particularly pro-Palestinian.

"A major news organization is intentionally suppressing information that could provide a clearer link between Barack Obama and Rashid Khalidi," said McCain spokesman Michael Goldfarb, citing Obama's friendship with Khalidi, who is now a professor at Columbia University.

He said the video could, among other things, show how Obama responded to a poem recited at the party accusing Israel of "terrorism" and warning of consequences for U.S. support for Israel, which Goldfarb described as "hate speech."

"The election is one week away, and it's unfortunate that the press so obviously favors Barack Obama that this campaign must publicly request that the Los Angeles Times do its job — make information public," he said.

The campaign hadn't previously demanded the video, though conservative bloggers have, and neither other reporters nor McCain's researchers have been able to dig up a copy.

Khalidi is a controversial figure, reviled by pro-Israel activists, though not a marginal one. A former professor at the University of Chicago, he's now Edward Said Professor of Arab Studies at Columbia, and respected by many in academia. He's been criticized most for saying that Palestinians have a right to resist Israeli occupation and has been described as a former P.L.O. spokesman, a label he has denied.

The paper hasn't explained its unwillingness to release the video, and Peter Wallsten, who found the tape and wrote about it, declined to discuss it with me last night. He forwarded an e-mail that the paper has sent readers who have complained as conservative blogs raise the issue.

"Over six months ago the Los Angeles Times published a detailed account of the events shown on the videotape. The Times is not suppressing anything. Just the opposite — the L.A. Times brought the matter to light," wrote the readers' representative, Jamie Gold.

L.A. Times spokeswoman Nancy Sullivan wouldn't discuss the decision not to release the tape in detail.

"When we reported on the tape six months ago, that was our full report," she said, and asked, "Does Politico release unpublished information?"

The answer to that question is yes — Politico and most news outlets constantly make available videos and documents, after describing them in part, which is why the Times' decision not to release the video is puzzling. My instinct, and many reporters', is to share as much source material as possible.

Critics have suggested that the Times is witholding the video for political reasons, but there are other possibilities: competitive reasons, or simply out of tradition. In the mechanics of reporting, there's another possibility as well. The video may have been given to the paper on the condition it not be released, or releasing it could compromise its source.

But the Times hasn't explained the move, and the McCain campaign is turning up the heat on a story that, whether or not the tape is released, is a reminder that some of Obama's Hyde Park friends stand well to the left of his stated positions.
  12. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

13,163 Messages
    864 Likes Received
    Well, duh. Less than 2 minutes left in the game, with the lead, he is trying to run out the clock.

As long as he doesn't fumble, he is the next President.

Here's hoping he gets Romo'd.
  13. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Obama's not dumb.

Just like he wasn't dumb when he opted out of Public Financing.

Call it a lie or whatever...I could care less.

It was Smart.

:laugh2:
  14. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

13,163 Messages
    864 Likes Received
    It should be expected.

And in fact, its smart for him to do that.

But it is status-quo politics. Not the "mantra" of change he has been promoting. Its politics as usual.

There really won't be a ton of difference between an Obama and McCain administration. Sure, some things will be different. Maybe Obama gets his health care plan adopted; maybe not. If he does, it will be different than McCain's. But all in all, it will be a pretty similar presidency. But hey - at least you got 'change.' Whatever that means.
  15. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,286 Messages
    4,605 Likes Received
    DING DING DING

They are just more of the same but while we have Obama saying Change Change (which most politicans have been using for election cycles for years) you also have the other candidate saying Maverick Maverick or Reform Reform.

People are fools if they believe either and I personally think they are foolish if they vote for either but I know that will never change.
  16. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    As far as I'M concerned...you have to get to Washington first to be able to make any Changes.

Now whatever he has to do to get there is fine with me.

Opting out of Public Financing is a tempest in a tea pot.
  17. JRid21

JRid21 Member

458 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Ron Paul has been saying that about both of them the whole time.

Here's a video of him discussing Obama

[youtube]ez5robAWmu4[/youtube]
  18. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The word you're fumbling for is hypocrite--"lying's" country cousin. "Do as I say, not as I do" is not going to endear you to many people.
  19. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

13,163 Messages
    864 Likes Received

I have no problem with Obama pulling out of public financing. It was smart of him.

I have no problem with Obama essentially trying to run out the clock here.

NO problem with it.

I just find it extremely amusing he is the "candidate of change" and he is looking more and more like "politics as usual."

Vote for Obama. I don't care. I couldn't care less about this **** anymore, other than to satisfy my curiosity.

Because change ain't gonna happen.

change change change maverick maverick maverick change maverick change maverickchange change change maverick maverick maverick change maverick change maverickchange change change maverick maverick maverick change maverick change maverickchange change change maverick maverick maverick change maverick change maverickchange change change maverick maverick maverick change maverick change maverickchange change change maverick maverick maverick change maverick change maverickchange change change maverick maverick maverick change maverick change maverick

Its the same. Just wrapped in different layers of bull ****.

And at the end of the day, its still wrapped in ****. And it still smells.
  20. JRid21

JRid21 Member

458 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Check vid I posted above :)