1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Obama, Is the Surge Working?

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Jordan55, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Jordan55

Jordan55 Active Member

1,176 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Barack Obama was the most disappointing in the debate. He offered an imaginative excuse for dismissing the surge: that the embrace of American forces in Iraq by Sunnis, the ruling ethnic group under Saddam Hussein, had been prompted by the Democratic election victory in 2006. The Sunnis were suddenly fearful of an American pullout that would leave them vulnerable to Shia oppression.

But the Sunni Awakening was a rebellion against the brutality of al Qaeda, the one-time ally of the Sunnis in the insurgency. And it began well before the American election. Indeed Sunni leaders have made clear that the Awakening happened because of their confidence the Americans would be sticking around to protect them from al Qaeda reprisals.

Democratic Leadership at it's best, Lets tell the truth, That Bush had the guts to stick it out for the greater good of this country. Hear any of the News affliates talk about the positives happening over in Iraq. Just Celebrated the one year aniversary of the surge not one word.
    God Bless our troops
    I have no respect for the Democratic leadership. Harry Reid the war is lost. Quote! Cut and Run the Democratic solution.
  2. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Then 2008 is the last year you're gonna enjoy for a long, long time... LOL...
  3. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,478 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If hillary is the nominee a Republican will win hands down. If Obama is the nominee, it will be much closer but the republicans will still win the WH.
  4. StevenOtero

StevenOtero Well-Known Member

6,318 Messages
    272 Likes Received
    We do not need to be in Iraq period. We have no business telling other countries how to live. Our presence only adds fuel to the fire. If China or Russia or whoever came here and told us how to live, protected their oil, and so on. We would be blasting away at them. IED's and all..
  5. StevenOtero

6,318 Messages
    272 Likes Received
    After 8 years of Republican leadership I doubt the majority will vote Republican. I only hope America votes true Republican (Ron Paul).
  6. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'd be more impressed if you hadn't predicted that the GOP would hold onto control of Congress back during the midterms... :D

Seriously, I think that the public is so pissed at Dubya that no Republican stands a chance of winning the race this time around... particularly not with the way the primary process is shaking out, yours is gonna be one seriously fractured party by the time it agrees on a nominee...

It ain't like y'all have somebody the public can get excited about to offer as a candidate...
  7. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,478 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yes, we have a candidate to get excited over...

Hillary.

She motivates us to the polls in droves.
  8. StevenOtero

6,318 Messages
    272 Likes Received
    The only Republican candidate to get excited about is Ron Paul. He is a true conservative. I get the feeling that Romney, Huckabee, and Thompson are the same war mongering morons. I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with going to war. I just believe we should have a declaration and clear evidence.
  9. Jordan55

Jordan55 Active Member

1,176 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Otero, as I have watched the debates, I have to admit that Paul has grown on me, but in realilty he doesn't stand a chance of winning the White House,
    I have to stay with a moderate republican, I believe they are our only chance of beating the Democrats.
    Hillary, who I once thought was unbeatable might not get the nomination in her own party.
    This Race will be closer then some Dems think.
  10. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,160 Messages
    1,291 Likes Received
    I don't know if Obama really believes that or is so worried about the loonies in the party attacking him if he does not say things like that.
    If he does beleive that then he is either very ignorant or very stupid.
    If McCain gets the nomination, which is a real possibility now, he would tear Obama up in any debate-make him look like the kid he is.
  11. Jordan55

Jordan55 Active Member

1,176 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I had pretty much written McCain, off early in this process, but he has been impressive during the recent debates
    He stands a good chance of winning the nomination, we will see how it plays out.

I believe his whole party has the same thought process, to give credit to the surge for the improving Iraq situation whould hurt their political cause.
    Since Cut and Run was alot better for us.
  12. Jordan55

Jordan55 Active Member

1,176 Messages
    0 Likes Received

I think it's been well documented that the situation in Iraq was a major stumbling block for the Republicans, but I have been very impressed with the approval ratings of Congress since the Dems, have been in charge.

I believe the Republicans will come together and support anyone who has a chance of beating the Democratic nominee, right now I agree it's fractured, but once we have a front runner that should change, I'm also of the belief that the party will have alot of support from the independents.
    False Hope doesn't cut it, ask the Bill

Yeah just the thought of having Obama or Hillary in the White House is enough to motivate Republicans.
    Siverbear just keep on believing it will be a landslide, I hope your whole party does.:bow:
  13. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,005 Messages
    126 Likes Received
    Take a look at the increase in voters on the democratic side of the primaries, as opposed to the increase in numbers on the republican side.

A legacy of mismanagement....
  14. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,005 Messages
    126 Likes Received
    The surge is a tactical victory, but without a strategic one as well, it will not last. Unfortunately it took three years to put a competant commander in place and give him the appropriate tools.

This Sunni Awakening has been going on for a while, as you say. The Sunni have realized that our troops wouldn't routinely kidnap or butcher their populace. Which many elements of the Iraqi government would. An Iraqi government that, due to the need for some PR victory, we pushed for, even though it put malicious, corrupt elements into power.

McCain has lost his independent aura. If he wants to win he will have to do it with the base republican voters. While I admired his maverick moves, many of which seemed to be for the good of the country and not for the ascendancy of his party, he appears totally in party marrionette mode now. He even has Phil Gramm in his campaign staff! Integrity down the tubes.....

Ah, Football now....