1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Obama notes ‘tragic’ US past.

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by trickblue, Jul 30, 2008.

1. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,850 Messages
    318 Likes Received
    Link

Obama notes ‘tragic’ US past
    American history's "sad" aspects require action, the senator tells cheering journalists
    By Laurie Au
    lau@starbulletin.com

CHICAGO » Sen. Barack Obama, speaking to a gathering of minority journalists yesterday, stopped short of endorsing an official U.S. apology to American Indians but said the country should acknowledge its history of poor treatment of certain ethnic groups.

"There's no doubt that when it comes to our treatment of Native Americans as well as other persons of color in this country, we've got some very sad and difficult things to account for," Obama told hundreds of attendees of UNITY '08, a convention of four minority journalism associations.

The Hawaii-born senator, who has told local reporters that he supports the federal recognition bill for native Hawaiians drafted by U.S. Sen. Daniel Akaka, noted other ethnic groups but did not mention native Hawaiians when answering a question about his thoughts on a formal U.S. apology to American Indians.

"I personally would want to see our tragic history, or the tragic elements of our history, acknowledged," the Democratic presidential hopeful said.

"I consistently believe that when it comes to whether it's Native Americans or African-American issues or reparations, the most important thing for the U.S. government to do is not just offer words, but offer deeds."

Obama, who appeared tired in his first major appearance since returning Saturday from a 10-day trip abroad, met with a receptive audience at the Chicago convention. Some journalists had waited three hours for the 40-minute appearance.

The group had expected Obama and Sen. John McCain to speak on Thursday night, but because of scheduling conflicts, only Obama could attend yesterday morning's talk.

When Obama walked on stage at the McCormick Center, many journalists in the audience leapt to their feet and applauded enthusiastically after being told not to do so. During a two-minute break halfway through the event, which was broadcast live on CNN, journalists ran to the stage to snap photos of Obama.

The Illinois senator talked about his trip overseas, reiterating his opinion that violence is down in Iraq but worsening in Afghanistan. And he expressed his approval of the Senate's passage of a major housing bill to help homeowners avert foreclosure.

Obama, who acknowledged that he needed a nap, stood up to say farewell to the audience of journalists, many of whom gave him another standing ovation.
  2. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,418 Messages
    372 Likes Received
    I see you are now being afflicted by the disease of apologizing for the past.

Up here in Canada, we have apologized for the internment of Japanese in 1941-45, the Chinese head tax, not accepting Sikh "refugees" in 1917 I believe, residential schools, hell we went so far as to give the descendants of those events money.

I just refuse to feel guilty for something people not even related to me and who died before I was born, did.
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,116 Messages
    2,893 Likes Received
    Wow!!!!! We agree on a political issue. Is hell freezing over? :laugh2:
  4. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    What's more is that this country is a product of immigration. My family hasn't been here for 100 years and I have no reason to sweat what went on before, nor should I be expected to. Not that anyone should, regardless of the depths of their roots.
  5. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,995 Messages
    719 Likes Received

Reparations huh?

:lmao:

This is a bad sign.
  6. AtlCB

AtlCB Active Member

3,684 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It's sad and it's a waste of taxpayer money that this is going on. Very few people alive (if any) today had anything to do with these atrocities.
  7. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    What does it tell us that journalists were cheering him when he said that?

Plus this: "Obama, who acknowledged that he needed a nap, stood up to say farewell to the audience of journalists, many of whom gave him another standing ovation." :rolleyes:
  8. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,208 Messages
    1,263 Likes Received
    i have to agree. i also lived in oklahoma for my college years and i saw many many houses built up and given to the indians that lived there. GIVEN. i do NOT advocate how we got here and certainly the manner in which the indians OF THE TIME were treated, but that doesn't mean the indians have some ongoing lottery they're always entitled to.

if they want the country back, take it. but stop the "you owe me" crap cause it's old and tired and only encourages people to sit around with their hands out and go "more please".

i'll support anyone of any race, color, sexual preference, or strange dietary habits if they want to cop for themselves and carry their own weight. if you want life to hand you a living i think you're a POS regardless of what race you got assigned to at birth.
  9. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,208 Messages
    1,263 Likes Received
    i was looking at obama as someone who'd put that down and get people to come together as best he could. if he's gonna wag his tail around in "poor people, whitey mistreated you" he just fell like chrysler stock in the early 80s.

from what i've seen of his church to what i'm seeing him say now, i'm losing my interest.
  10. zrinkill

32,995 Messages
    719 Likes Received
    Yup the more I see of him the less I like him ..... And the more desperate mcCain sounds the less I like him.

I am voting for Romo for President.
  11. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,905 Messages
    4,269 Likes Received
    Could you imagine the chaos that Jessica could cause in or for the white house? :laugh1:

I could see her with Tony on a foreign trip where he has to meet with some important prime ministers or big wigs and Jessica sitting there asking questions or saying something that would start WWIII.

I could see them meeting with the leader of Turkey and her saying...I love Turkey, it tastes so good. To which the leader would either be shocked or say some dirty line in response.
    :laugh2:
  12. zrinkill

32,995 Messages
    719 Likes Received

See ....... now I want this to happen.
  13. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,905 Messages
    4,269 Likes Received
    No, you are just hoping she pulls a Ford and trips...but also ripping her dress in the process.
  14. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,418 Messages
    372 Likes Received
    he might say in response "you aren't wearing any panties are you"