1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Obama Planning to Send Gitmo Prisoners to Saudi Arabia For "Rehabilitation"

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by JBond, May 6, 2009.

1. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,707 Messages
    27 Likes Received
    Maybe Obama is just straight up crazy. This is one of his dumbest ideas yet.

Obama Planning to Send Gitmo Prisoners to Saudi Arabia For "Rehabilitation"

http://www.alternet.org/blogs/right...isoners_to_saudi_arabia_for_"rehabilitation"/

As he figures out how to shutter Guantanamo, President Obama is reportedly working out an arrangement to send prisoners to Saudi Arabia for "rehabilitation." The Wall Street Journal reports:

Some of the roughly 100 Yemenis held at Guantanamo Bay would go to Saudi Arabia under a plan being discussed by U.S. and Saudi officials, said people briefed on the talks.

Yemenis make up the largest national grouping among the roughly 250 inmates still at the U.S. prison in Guantanamo. U.S. officials believe addressing their fate is urgent if President Barack Obama is to make good on his commitment to close the prison by January 2010.

Some 30 prisoners are on track to be either sent back to Yemen or tried by the U.S. But the rest "pose a quandary."

The U.S. no longer wants to hold them, but it fears that Yemen's government lacks the means to rehabilitate the men, many of whom officials say pose a threat to the U.S. And American officials question whether Yemen has sufficient law-enforcement muscle to keep tabs on returnees.

The solution: Send them to Saudi Arabia instead.

U.S. and Arab officials said Saudi authorities have developed a program for Islamist extremists that is largely viewed as a success by U.S. and European counterterrorism officials. The program includes vocational training, family reunification and religious tutoring.

The program is housed at the "Care Rehabilitation Center," described as "a cozy chalet" outside Riyadh by Time Magazine, who archly labeled it the "Betty Ford Center for terrorists." ("Technically it's a detention center, but no one is forced to wear an orange jumpsuit or a blindfold." So it's, you know, practically a country club.)

U.S.-style orange jumpsuits or not, Saudi Arabia is hardly known as a beacon of human rights. But others have a different concern:

U.S. officials say Saudi Arabia's rehabilitation program isn't fail-safe. Last month, two Saudi nationals who were released from Guantanamo and passed through the program appeared in a video as senior members of al Qaeda's Yemen operations.

In fact, it was in late January that an al Qaeda tape surfaced showing Said Ali al-Shihri and "a man identified as Abu Hareth Muhammad al-Awfi, who appears with a script at the bottom of the screen giving his Guantánamo identification number, 333. That number corresponds to a man known in Pentagon documents as Mohamed Atiq Awayd al-Harbi, who was also released to Saudi Arabia in November 2007."

"Both men passed through a Saudi rehabilitation program for jihadists after their release," according to the International Herald Tribune. "That program has been seen as a model, and the Saudi government had previously said that none of its graduates had returned to terrorism."

In the video, Awfi warns fellow prisoners about the Saudi program and threatens attacks against Saudi Arabia.

The former Gitmo prisoners were released after some six years in U.S. captivity. According to the Christian Science Monitor, "As with most other Guantánamo returnees ... the men were charged with the minor violation of traveling to Afghanistan, a country Saudi passport holders are barred from visiting." In other words, if the men weren't actually jihadists before Guantanamo, they certainly are now.

"I cannot consider the program a failure if one or two who went through it did not comply," a representative of the Saudi Interior Ministry said in January.

Yemen has previously rejected the idea of sending Gitmo prisoners to Saudi Arabia -- an plan originally proposed by the Bush administration. According to the WSJ, "a State Department spokesman declined to specifically address the Yemeni issue but said the U.S. 'has been in contact with dozens of countries about resettling those detainees at Guantanamo Bay eligible for transfer or release.' Saudi officials didn't reply to requests seeking comment."
  2. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,742 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Not nearly as dumb as bringing them here.
    I remember when SA started that program some time back, and sure in it's nascent stage it's clumsy and idealist, but it's a start and I'd rather we dump these people off there than in some warzone or on our soil.

Some will run right back to being what they are, regardless of where they are, some won't.
  3. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,707 Messages
    27 Likes Received
    Obama has ended the Bush rendition program, So I guess it will be like a 12 step AA type of program to rehab them into happy emotionally stable terrorists.

Where did the 9/11 terrorists come from again?
  4. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

73,896 Messages
    991 Likes Received
    They are being sent out for rehabilitation or re-initiation? I'm sure our guys in uniform will meet up with many of these terrorist in the near future
  5. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,742 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    And in light of the fact that killing them after the fact doesn't seem to be an option, what better place to send them?

If they want to go back to what they were previously doing so be it. They'll get killed in Afghanistan.

Regardless, this still not the worst idea they've come up with.
  6. Doomsday101

73,896 Messages
    991 Likes Received
    True but how many of our guys will get killed by them before we get them? Currently they are in a place where they can do no harm to anyone civilian and military alike now they are going to be back in the field to try again. Thanks Mr. President I hope this makes our EU partners happy and it was good to see how much they were willing to do to help in this matter.
  7. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,707 Messages
    27 Likes Received

Maybe the boat or plane they use to transport them could have a unfortunate accident and end up at the bottom of the ocean.
  8. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,074 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    if the Government would only give me a pension and a handgun...
  9. Doomsday101

73,896 Messages
    991 Likes Received
    Well we could blame Bush if it happens. Lets do it!!!!:laugh2:
  10. jrumann59

jrumann59 Well-Known Member

3,454 Messages
    87 Likes Received
    So in other words instead of taking them months to get to a terrorist training center from all around the world the US taxpayers is just going to fly them there business class so they can get a jump on martyrdom 101. Sounds like a brilliant idea unless of course we have a plan to fit them with suicide vests and gps and blow them up once they get to the terrorist training camp.
  11. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt °¤~Cold Eternal~¤° Staff Member

58,851 Messages
    1,776 Likes Received
    Why so you can accidentally shoot yourself in the leg while trying to play 24 and all of us wind up paying you money the rest of your life?
  12. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

33,279 Messages
    926 Likes Received
    I think your fears are getting the better of you BP. I mean, if you step back and look at this thing, Universal Healthcare will soon be in place so even if the worst happens, Jerry is going ot be covered regardless. I mean, how big of a problem could it actually be?

:D
  13. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Isn't that why Rack joined the Army? Rack to the rescue.
  14. PosterChild

PosterChild New Member

2,027 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Is that a joke??? He didn't really enlist did he?
  15. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

33,279 Messages
    926 Likes Received
    RACK!

:laugh2:
  16. PosterChild

PosterChild New Member

2,027 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Not sure what i missed but...

[IMG]