1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Obama's former pastor and Bill Clinton

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by vta, Mar 21, 2008.

1. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    CNN

(CNN) – Barack Obama’s former minister, Rev. Jeremiah Wright, attended a 1998 Clinton White House prayer breakfast, and met former President Bill Clinton – a moment which was documented by official photographers in a photo that surfaced Thursday.

Wright was one of roughly 100 religious leaders invited to the breakfast, which was held in the East Room on September 11, 1998, as part of a series of similar events scheduled that year in the wake of the Monica Lewinsky scandal.

The photograph appeared on "The truth about Trinity United Church of Christ," a blog operated by a church member.

During the breakfast, then-President Clinton told the group that "I don't think there is a fancy way to say that I have sinned."

An Obama spokesman declined to comment. Clinton spokesman Phil Singer told CNN, “In the course of his two terms in office, Bill Clinton met with, corresponded with and took pictures with literally tens of thousands of people.

According to White House documents released this week, Hillary Clinton was scheduled to attend the event as well.

The Obama campaign has struggled to re-gain its footing following the controversy over racially-charged comments by the Illinois senator’s former minister. Earlier this week, Obama gave a speech in Philadelphia that was meant to clarify his opposition to the substance of Wright’s remarks, as well as his views on racial division in America.

The Clinton campaign has largely steered clear of public criticism of Obama over the incident, though some current and former campaign surrogates have suggested the fact that the senator did not dissociate himself sooner might raise questions about his judgment.

–CNN's Steve Brusk and Rebeca Sinderbrand
  2. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,930 Messages
    991 Likes Received
    zOMG! Bill was in the same room as him, so he must share his beliefs. Oh wait, he didn't donate thousands of dollars to him, did he?
  3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,481 Messages
    148 Likes Received
    I might as well put this in here although Zrinkie broke the story in another thread.

From a reuters report:

The Obama campaign shot back, accusing the Clinton team of pushing the Wright story to knock Obama's lead in the race to become the Democratic presidential nominee.

"After their top surrogates pushed this storyline, and Senator Clinton's campaign outlined this as a central strategy in her plan to overturn the will of Democratic voters, I can see why they wouldn't want a photo out there that shows the kind of hypocrisy we've all come to expect from their campaign," Obama spokesman Bill Burton said in an e-mail.

LINK
  4. Jon88

Jon88 Benched

7,666 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The difference is that he didn't listen to him every Sunday for 20 years.
  5. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    :laugh2:

I posted it because I saw it and the good Rev is a hot topic at the moment.
    I don't think it means squat against Clinton.
  6. Jarv

Jarv Loud pipes saves lives. Zone Supporter

7,053 Messages
    107 Likes Received
    Has it been declared that Wright is now his former minister ? Or was this slipped in by CNN for Obama's sake ?
  7. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,458 Messages
    926 Likes Received
    Wright retired his ministry earlier this year -- so that would make him Obama (and many other people's) FORMER minister
  8. Jarv

Jarv Loud pipes saves lives. Zone Supporter

7,053 Messages
    107 Likes Received
    Thanks, I didn't know that. Guess it makes sense now.
  9. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    How does someone even call themselves a minster if they are preaching such a hateful messages like Mr. Wright?

Pastor? Hardly.
  10. PosterChild

PosterChild New Member

2,027 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    LOL I have a picture of my Bill Clinton and my twin sister posing together at some function hanging on my wall. It's probably 6 or 7 seven years old.
    Does this mean Clinton is incontestably tied to the PosterChild clan? Heck, he even lived 3 houses down from me briefly in Little Rock betwixt terms as Gov. Further linkage?? Could I indeed be a Hillary supporter after all? :rolleyes:

This is a really weak effort to associate Clinton with the Wrong Reverend.
  11. PosterChild

PosterChild New Member

2,027 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    And another thing. How many people would anyone guess that BC met during his political career? Has to be thousands and thousands. Think he even recalls half of them?
  12. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,889 Messages
    4,241 Likes Received
    It happens...I will NOT defend that pastor. But think of your question and then think about the KKK. Same concept just opposite race.

Stupid is as Stupid does.
  13. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,889 Messages
    4,241 Likes Received
    I am not sure he does...I wonder if "little bill" does.:laugh2:
  14. Bonecrusher#31

Bonecrusher#31 Active Member

1,812 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    I saw a picture of Obama in muslim like attire...I guess that makes him muslim....:rolleyes:
  15. Jordan55

Jordan55 Active Member

1,176 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It might, if he wore it every Sunday for twenty years.:hammer:
  16. PosterChild

PosterChild New Member

2,027 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Point taken.:eek:

I guess what amaze me more than anything is that a lot of Obama's charm was that he was not like all the other political candidates, nor was his campaign. Now they are straying into the mud. Not necessarily complaining mind you, just observing.
  17. PosterChild

PosterChild New Member

2,027 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yep. Must be. It's important to remember that a lot of these tactics are not aimed at the brightest people in the country or those paying closest attn as we are here and in other arenas. I suppose it must be effective to some extent or they wouldn't do it, but it's most effectively unleashed before the media can sift through it for the masses. IE, just before it's time to hop in the car and go vote. Looks like we will continue to see it until Nov.
  18. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

8,906 Messages
    195 Likes Received
    Yup. It's made for those that don't have time to really look too much into things and will catch a snippet here or there on TV. Which is probably the majority of the voters in this country. It's unfortunate, but true that negative "drive-by" attacks work the best.
  19. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,481 Messages
    148 Likes Received

[IMG]
  20. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

8,906 Messages
    195 Likes Received
    No doubt about it. While everyone in here has their own viewpoints and stands on issues, at least they're discussing them. That means some thought went into it and that's more than the average person will ever do.