1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Off season mock

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by tm1119, Feb 14, 2012.

1. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,922 Messages
    536 Likes Received
    Cowboys FA's to keep
    Spencer
    Holley
    Geathers
    Holland
    Robinson
    Fiametta
    McBriar

Cut/Not resigned
    Newman
    Koiser
    James
    Dockery
    Bennett
    Ball
    Elam
    Brooking
    Ogeltree
    Morris

Free Agents Signed
    Michael Griffin S- Finally a talented safety in our secondary with good coverage skills. Would definitely improve our CB's out with proper help over the top. Huge upgrade to anything we've had at FS in a long time.
    Sione Pouha NT- Huge run stuffer. Thats all there is to it. Only a part time player at this point in his career, but thats ok because he would only be used to stop the run. Plus Rat has the flexibility to be used all over the line.
    Evan Mathis OG- Was great this year for the Eagles. 0 sacks allowed and opened great lanes for McCoy and his phenomenal year. He signed a 1 year deal with the Eagles to prove himself and get a big contract afterwards. Well he did exactly that. His contract wont be quite as big as Grubbs or Nicks but he will get paid none the less.
    Dan Koppen OC- Played very well for the Pats as their starting center in 2010, but missed all of this year with a broken leg. I see him signing a 1 or 2 year deal as a low risk high reward player hoping he can get healthy and play well again.
    William Gay CB- Veteran depth. Gay isnt great but wont hurt the team either like an Alan Ball. Mainly an insurance option.
    Shaun Hill QB- Veteran backup whos had a little success in the NFL.

Draft
    Round 1- Janoris Jenkins CB N. Alabama- Evan Mathis is signed in this scenario and I think Garrett will feel comfortable with Holland/Arkin/Nagy to fill 1 guard spot. Jenkins is the best fit after Claiborne at CB for this team. Hes a pure cover corner who can be left alone on the outside with no worries. Everyone knows about the baggage, but hes been saying and doing all the right things for a full year now. The value is great at 14 on pure talent alone, and the character issues dont go much past a young kid making dumb decisions.
    Round 2- Jared Crick DE Nebraska Talented player who would probably be a 1st round pick if not for injuries. Knows how to play the game and plays very well inside. Does a good job of eating blocks and creating space. Also, great against the run. I think he will be the hard working versatile player that Rob Ryan loves on his defense.
    Round 3- Bruce Irvin OLB WV- Spencer is brought back because of his all around good play. Hes lacking in the pass rushing department, but that can be cured with a good complimentary player to do nothing but rush the QB in passing situations. Irvin is a bit raw and bit undersized but he knows how to rush the passer off of the edge. Not an every down OLB by any means, but his pass rushing skills could be utilized greatly on this team.
    Round 4- Jeff Allen OT/OG- College LT who could be used at RT, but is probably more of an OG project in the NFL. Still, the versatility is nice as a backup to 4 positions on the o-line with some potential to boot.
    Round 5- Jerry Franklin ILB Arkansas- Very productive college player who will probably fall because he will lack any eye popping #'s in size and athletic ability. Hes the type of guy that can just flat out can play football and is a tackling machine. Would provide good depth and wouldnt surprise me if he would be good enough to be a platoon ILB right away.
    Round 6- Chase Ford TE Miami- This is when you start drafting project players. Ford never produced much at Miami, but he's 6'6 260 with legitimate receiving skills and athletic ability. Really like his potential for a pick this late.
    Round 7- Dan Persa QB North Western Smart QB with some athletic ability. A little small at 6' but I think he cold turn into a solid backup in the NFL.
  2. cowboyschmps3

cowboyschmps3 Well-Known Member

2,404 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    Draft
    Round 1- Janoris Jenkins CB N. Alabama- Evan Mathis is signed in this scenario and I think Garrett will feel comfortable with Holland/Arkin/Nagy to fill 1 guard spot. Jenkins is the best fit after Claiborne at CB for this team. Hes a pure cover corner who can be left alone on the outside with no worries. Everyone knows about the baggage, but hes been saying and doing all the right things for a full year now. The value is great at 14 on pure talent alone, and the character issues dont go much past a young kid making dumb decisions.

Round 6- Chase Ford TE Miami- This is when you start drafting project players. Ford never produced much at Miami, but he's 6'6 260 with legitimate receiving skills and athletic ability. Really like his potential for a pick this late.

I hope we get too pick these guys, i really liked the mock i would agree with everything you put on this, now let's just hope some of it happens
  3. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,637 Messages
    1,104 Likes Received
    Some stuff I like, but I'd like to do more with the OL. I don't think Nicks is the guy, but I'd make Grubbs the priority over Mathis. And if we're gonna go Jenkins in the first, I want a quality starter at CB in FA because I don't trust the kid - not just becuase of the weed, but also because of his size.
  4. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,716 Messages
    330 Likes Received
    I like the most of the mock..except for Jenkins. Just not a huge fan of smallish corners with poor judgement.
    I get the Pouha pickup, but I'd prefer Solali. Like the idea of Koppen, as I will be hoping they go with another Pats olineman (Connolly) but Koppen might be a good bargain.
  5. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,922 Messages
    536 Likes Received
    I would love either Grubbs or Nicks as well, but its a good possibility they arent available. I think the franchise tag is going to be a real possibility for both of these guys. And even if Nicks is let walk I can see him getting a contract that makes him the the highest paid OG ever. Is Jerry, a guy who has never put a huge stock in the interior o-line before, going to be willing to do that? I think Mathis is a very good plan C option that wont break the bank.

And is Jenkins really that small? 5'9 1/2 and 190 lbs is fairly standard for a corner. Especially a man cover corner like he is. There arent too many CB's over 6' that have had great success in the NFL. They usually struggle to stay with the more agile WR's. To me Jenkins is possibly the best pure cover corner in this draft. If he stayed at Florida and never got busted for weed its possible he goes ahead of Claiborne. Obviously a big if, but thats why Jerry and Jason need to do their homework on the kid and determine if he is or isnt a concern character wise going forward.
  6. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,637 Messages
    1,104 Likes Received
    If neither Grubbs or Nicks is available, then yes I agree haha. I think at least one of them will be though.

I guess I thought Jenkins was smaller than that. He looks skinny to me...maybe not though. I admit I didn't see a lot of Northern Alabama this year :laugh2:
  7. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,793 Messages
    875 Likes Received
    I dont want a corner in round 1, and dont particularly want Jenkins at all. Pass rush has to be priority one on defense. Your draft is better in the middle than top and bottom.