1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Twitter: Official: Anthony Spencer out for rest of season - 09/24/13

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Doomsay

Doomsay Well-Known Member

6,067 Messages
    982 Likes Received
    Why wasn't he physically vetted prior to the tender then? Sounds like he should have had the ** surgery at the end of the 2012 season given that he had this pre-existing knee condition. It's not like he hurt himself between mid January and March 12th.
  2. AZ_Cowboys_Fan

AZ_Cowboys_Fan Member

516 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    He's saying that we'll have ten million to play with next year since he won't be on the roster anymore. The cap doesn't go up, but at least we won't be paying him 10 mil again. It's a glass half full kind of thing I guess.
  3. cowboyfan4life_mark

cowboyfan4life_mark 5 outta 8 ain't bad

2,931 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    Zoooooommmmmmm!!
    He meant since Spencer wont be here.
  4. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,859 Messages
    1,238 Likes Received
    51 Kyle Wilber 6-4 251
    95 Caesar Rayford 6-7 267
    55 Edgar Jones 6-3 262
    (practice squad) 56 Jason Vega 6-4 255
  5. cowboyfan4life_mark

2,931 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    Who thinks that Spencer will be back with the Cowboys at a reduded rate next year. Before you dismiss the idea, think it through.
    (Assuming he will be able to play again and could be for a 1-2 year deal)
  6. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,859 Messages
    1,238 Likes Received
    I would say it's typical for an injured player to come back to the same team on a 1 yr deal. Microfracture should scare teams off, especially anything long term with a large price tag.
  7. cowboyfan4life_mark

2,931 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    Kind of what was going through my mind. A "show me" year since he is missing this one. Then hope for a longer term deal in 2015.
  8. Bigdog24

Bigdog24 Well-Known Member

2,004 Messages
    268 Likes Received
    Just say NO....not today and not next year.....Let the scouts do there job.. and let these young guns get an opportunity to show these old vets up... Spencer and Ratliff had their chances..... its now time to get some young speedy, hungry players who are not old and brittle......... Thank you Mr Spencer for your time as a Cowboy...... but deuces....baby.....
  9. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

10,463 Messages
    6,029 Likes Received
    Just imagine if marinelli got his hands on a healthy crawford, spencer, brent and ratliff.

Why are we so damn cursed?
  10. Doomsay

6,067 Messages
    982 Likes Received
    For as good as a player as he is, it's obvious that he is a pure money guy, I suspect he will play elsewhere for $1 more.
  11. Plankton

Plankton Well-Known Member

2,595 Messages
    1,093 Likes Received
    No, he hurt himself early on in camp, when he fell on his knee. He did not have any issues with the knee since 2008.

As much as I kill the Jones' for their horrible cap management, I can't kill them for this injury, nor can I kill the doctors.
  12. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,586 Messages
    2,243 Likes Received
    Which Dr?

I remember it being 2-4 weeks back in July. If we're talking about the same Dr, it could be 2046 before he's ready.
    dogberry likes this.
  13. ghst187

ghst187 Well-Known Member

5,601 Messages
    154 Likes Received
    hmm that would've gotten us a good S, DL, or OL this past offseason, maybe 2 of 3.
  14. Doomsay

6,067 Messages
    982 Likes Received
  15. Plankton

Plankton Well-Known Member

2,595 Messages
    1,093 Likes Received
    It was the conditioning test before camp. You know, after he went through OTAs and everything else without an injury.

He fell, and hurt his knee. It happens. You can kill them for franchising him - I have no issue with that. In fact, I only wanted him to be franchised so he could be traded.

To kill them for signing him in advance of an injury is a little much, and not well placed angst.

I can't believe that I am actually defending the Jones' here. Must be a full moon.
  16. remdak

remdak Active Member

376 Messages
    239 Likes Received
    So, if he's 100% in January, can he come back for the playoffs? LOL
  17. Bigdog24

Bigdog24 Well-Known Member

2,004 Messages
    268 Likes Received
    I don't know about the rest of the posters on this board, but I am done with both Ratliff and Spencer..... Both of them have been handsomely paid and only produced at a top level for 1-2 years..... Its the Mike Jenkins effect.....business first, football last. Send the young guns in Coach.
  18. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,649 Messages
    5,561 Likes Received
    We have already passed that point.
    Doomsay likes this.
  19. Doomsay

6,067 Messages
    982 Likes Received
    Did he get tested before his tender? Do you have any details on the conditioning test injury?
  20. EchoBrain22

EchoBrain22 beWaredizzle

228 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    Spence was our best defensive player last season, and has always been solid for us. I don't know where all the Spencer hate comes from. Cowboys fans are absolutely ridiculous. I have a hard time listening to their intolerable ramblings. It would have been awesome to see a healthy Spencer in the new defense. I hope Anthony can recover from this and wouldn't mind us keeping him around assuming he fully heals and comes at a decent price.

I'll always remember him destroying Vick.
    Doomsay likes this.