1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Ohio State's Hankins to enter NFL draft

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by RS12, Dec 10, 2012.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,424 Messages
    1,297 Likes Received
    The guy they call "Big Hank" is taking a big, early jump to the next level.
    All-Big Ten defensive tackle Johnathan Hankins announced on Monday he will give up his senior season at Ohio State to make himself available for the 2013 NFL draft.

"I will always be grateful for the family I have gained here at Ohio State," Hankins said in a release issued through the school. "My three years have provided amazing experiences for me, and they are years I will never forget or take for granted."

Hankins, who said he plans to return to finish his degree, appeared in 38 games the past three years and started every game the past two seasons. He was fourth on the team in tackles in 2011 with 67, including 11 for minus yardage. This past season he was fifth in tackles with 55, including four tackles for a loss.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...hankins-nfl-draft.ap/index.html#ixzz2EgyF662w
  2. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,424 Messages
    1,297 Likes Received
    I'd be shocked if this guy isnt on the Cowboys radar. Could play every position on the D Line and offer an upgrade.
  3. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I can't figure out who I like more, him, Jenkins or Williams.

And when I watched film on Hankins, John Simon was a guy that stuck out the most out of anyone.
  4. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,418 Messages
    4,965 Likes Received
    My concern with a taking an NT in the 1st round is percentage of snaps played. If he does not play in the nickel (4-man line) defense and he is in a rotation at NT, then it would not be enough to justify the pick, IMO.

Hankins might be able to play in the nickel if he keeps his weight down.
  5. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,418 Messages
    4,965 Likes Received
    I can't figure out what position John Simon (6-2, 260) would play for the Cowboys. He is very intense.
  6. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,252 Messages
    1,579 Likes Received
    OLB probably. He's certainly not a 3-4 DE unless he puts on about 30 lbs.
  7. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,424 Messages
    1,297 Likes Received
    I think he could be a pocket pushing 3-4 end, something they havent had in a while.
  8. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,085 Messages
    300 Likes Received
    I actually like Kwame Geathers more than his teamate Jenkins.
  9. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,336 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    Don't care for Jenkins, Thomas owned him in the UT game and he was also owned in the bama game. I do like both slyvester and Jesse Williams. A 3-4 DE I like is Kawan Short
  10. Macnalty

Macnalty Well-Known Member

1,018 Messages
    88 Likes Received
    I watched a couple of games of OSU mainly to watch Hankins and came away with an image of a dancing bear, maybe these were his two off games(injury or missing one lung) but he looked big and average not sure where all the praise gestated. I was expecting a Star Star Lotulelei impersonation and viewed Igor Olshansky2, hope there are better alternatives.
  11. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    OLB, his motor is uncomparable.
  12. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,424 Messages
    1,297 Likes Received
    Kevin Greene comparison?
  13. Marktui

Marktui Active Member

1,200 Messages
    12 Likes Received

I think I like Kawaan Short better than Hankins. Seems like Short could be more versatile than Hankins. Hankins look like he could provide no pass rush.
  14. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Short is so underwhelming.
  15. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,424 Messages
    1,297 Likes Received
    Austin Ward ‏@BuckeyesBeat
    Todd McShay's Mock Draft 1.0 is out -- and Johnathan Hankins is slotted at No. 5.
    Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More
  16. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,085 Messages
    300 Likes Received
    I would say Hankins will likely be over drafted due to potential. He'll work out well, but the production is only ok. Maybe the film will tell a better tale, like with Michael Brockers, but I think he'll be taken earlier than Brockers went.