1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Okay, So You're Sean Payton...

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Hostile, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,504 Messages
    1,790 Likes Received
    ...for one year you cannot have contact with anyone in the NFL. That is the wording of the sanctions imposed upon him. I suspect that much like Garrett got permission from the NFL to attend Tony's wedding, that there could be special permission given to him as well for events. Most of his associates are going to be NFL people.

How do you not break this sanction issued by the NFL? I mean seriously. He lives in Dallas. He can't go to dinner with Stephen Jones and they are friends.

I'm not sure if he can attend the Combines next year because his year will not be up.

What would you do in order to avoid breaking these sanctions?

I gotta be honest with you, if I was in his shoes and had his money, I would tour the world for a year. I can't imagine staying in the United States and being able to avoid football.
  2. Zaxor

Zaxor Virtus Mille Scuta

8,398 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    head to Canada and see if I can hire on as an assistant and scout some of the talent there..
  3. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Active Member

4,545 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    take my wife to an exotic island and make some babies. maybe the maldives.
  4. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,940 Messages
    1,323 Likes Received
    :laugh2: Beat me to it. I was going to say a year-long honeymoon.
  5. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,504 Messages
    1,790 Likes Received
    That's not bad.
  6. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I bet a college would like to rent him for a year. Maybe Arkansas. He has a connection ya know. :D
  7. Phrozen Phil

Phrozen Phil Active Member

3,876 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    They will want to know if he rides a motorcycle and if he rides solo. :rolleyes:
  8. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    And who could blame them. LOL!
  9. a_minimalist

4,545 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
  10. Phoenix

Phoenix Well-Known Member

4,914 Messages
    352 Likes Received
    Wow. Really? No contact with anyone in the NFL for a year? Wow. That's harsh.
  11. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,235 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    Belize would be a nice place during the season
  12. wittenacious

wittenacious Active Member

2,805 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Could definitely go the vacation route -- take the penalty time off and remove himself far away from the game. Can't see Payton doing that though ... not for the entire season, anyway.

I see him going the NFLN or ESPN commentator route. Gives him some level of "Plausible Deniability" should he have contact with New Orleans Saints personnel ... maybe? I bet he tries to stay in touch ... somehow, someway.
  13. davidyee

davidyee Maple Leaf

3,719 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    ...could get a job here right away.

The team I would suggest is Montreal Alouettes. Big town, good cultural vibe for interest and Marc Trestman is there and can makes transitioning for a year easy.

I think he takes a vacation or coaches HS in N.O. to keep his mind busy.
  14. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,451 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    Walk the Appalachian trail.
  15. a_minimalist

4,545 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    that's actually an awesome idea. i hate sean peyton with a passion. i hate the saints with a passion. but, if he decided to coach a hs football team for a year he'd earn a lot of kudos with me.
  16. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,315 Messages
    341 Likes Received
    I am sure the Puritan Robespierre Goodell can't mean he can't talk to anyone in the NFL, he is allowed to have friends and most will be football people. I am sure even the most draconian puratinnical interpretation of the sanction is, no talking about football.

As for coming to the CFL, not sure Robespierre would allow that.
  17. Bigdog

Bigdog Well-Known Member

1,546 Messages
    34 Likes Received

Mortenson was on ESPN and reported that he could not even attend any college games as NFL scouts and personnel people will be there. According to Mortensen the sanctions end the day after the Super Bowl so he will be able to atend the Combine. He said he can call players such wishing Brees congrats on his third child which he and his wife are expecting later on in the year but that is it. He has to report that he contacted the Brees if he is going to do that. He also said that he can be an analysis but can not talk to any players, coachs, or study the films to help with the broadcasts. Basically he is to have no contact, college or pro until after the Super Bowl next year.
  18. Chopzley

Chopzley Member

64 Messages
    4 Likes Received
  19. JackWagon

JackWagon Well-Known Member

1,394 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    World tour ... London, Paris, Rome, Venice, Frankfurt, Bahamas, Sydney, New Dehli (see whats up with the Dali Lama), Tokyo, Bejing. Maybe some hunting in Alaska. Conveniently loose my cell phone.
  20. Kristen82

Kristen82 Benched

965 Messages
    221 Likes Received
    Go to Asia, live the life of a criminal, get some ninja training, then come back and fight crime wearing a kinky leather suit.