1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

OLT Orlando Franklin could be first Miami Hurricane taken in 1st round

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Apr 24, 2011.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,092 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    [IMG]
    http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports...n-could-be-first-miami-hurricane-1425821.html

[IMG]
    Post a Comment E-mail Print ShareLarger Type Small Type
    CORAL GABLES — For the first time in three years, the University of Miami is expected to have a player taken in the first round of the NFL Draft.

Most of the speculation has centered around cornerback Brandon Harris and receiver Leonard Hankerson. But some draft analysts think the first UM player to be picked could be Orlando Franklin, the massive Hurricanes' offensive lineman by way of Atlantic High.

"He's very raw, but athletically there are not many guys like him that are playing left tackle in this year's draft," said Russ Lande, a former Cleveland Browns' scout now serving as The Sporting News' draft analyst. "You just don't find guys his size that can move their feet like he does. It's impossible."
  2. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,374 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    If we don't go OT in Round 1, I wouldn't mind O Franklin in Round 2.
  3. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,435 Messages
    409 Likes Received
    I think it's telling he feels much more comfortable at guard. We need a day 1 starter at right tackle right now IMO.
  4. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,370 Messages
    1,401 Likes Received
    I don't love him there. If you watch him, this year he always had help with the TE and he just does not reach the edge rushers very well. He holds alot. However, I think he might be an excellent LG. If I drafted him, that's what I would try to do with him.

No chanace, IMO, he goes in the 1st round.
  5. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    my thoughts exactly

Positives: "Big offensive lineman who's shown flashes of ability the past three years. Quickly sets up off the snap, keeps his feet moving, and makes terrific use of body positioning. Stays square, controls defenders once engaged at the point of attack, and anchors in pass protection. Strong enough to ride oncoming rushers from the play."

Negatives: Does too much leaning on opponents and rarely finishes blocks. Ineffective with his hands and displays marginal strength. Played left tackle yet does not possess the footwork necessary to block the edge. Slow if asked to kick out or pull and shows no skill in motion.

Analysis: "Franklin is a size prospect who has been productive on the college level but has not been the consistent force many thought possible. His technique is still rough around the edges, but his size alone gives him good upside. He's likely to be over-drafted and may take a while to develop."

Projection: 2nd

6. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,132 Messages
    272 Likes Received
    I like Franklin a lot too. Just behind Cannon and Watkins for Round 2.