1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

OMG! The weirdest thing just happened...Pic Added #26

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Cajuncowboy, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I am a huge history buff. I love anything that is connected to American history. So I was watching a program I Tivo's on the History Channel the other day called The Fall of the Third Reich.

I get 1 hour and 50 minutes in and they show the liberation of Dachau. As they are showing this Army archive video I see my father in a close up. I had never seen this before. I paused the video for about 5 minutes just looking at him to make sure it was him and to try to catch my breath.

I called my wife into the room and asked her what she thought of the picture and she said "Oh my God. That's your dad."

My dad has been dead for over 17 years. I cannot tell you how surreal that was. I swear I started to cry when I saw that. I remember my dad telling me about the liberation and that he was there but he didn't go into detail. I know why. And seeing what he saw, in color just made it all that more real for me personally.

Anyway, I thought I would share that. It was so weird.
  2. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received

cool man. I watched that both nights. The rise and the fall. It was very good. Seeing the peoples home movies and all the nazi propoganda stuff was fascinating.

My great uncle was killed by a sniper after the war was over while riding on a tank. My aunt has all his stuff he sent home. She has a nazi flag that was taken off a building when they first got into germany and all kinds of other stuff.
  3. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,378 Messages
    3,635 Likes Received
    Really cool cajun.

Kind of one of those it's a small world type of things.

I like WWII stuff as well.

My one grandfather died last year.

We just got back from my parents. We were having our early holidays this week with them and the inlaws next week.

So my dad gives me a box and inside of it are some things of my grandfathers things from his WWII days.

Old patches, medals, a History of WWII book that was issued to military men after the war. Mom also bought a new WWII book that is loaded with pictures.

Now that is not the odd part.

The box that some of the medals and old patches was in was made in Parkersbugh WV. It was a WWII era small ammo box. My grandfather, from my dad's side of the family, is from up in Penn. However the box was made in a plant during WWII that my grandmother, from my mom's side of the family, worked in.

She worked in that plant as kind of a Rosie Rivot. They made ammo boxes and trench tools.

Could be that she made that box and my grandfather had it in WWII.

Just thought that was weird and was going to share that little story but then I get on and read yours.

Really weird stuff.
  4. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You know, WWII wasn't the cleanest of wars and what happened at Dachau at the liberation was a horror, but unless anyone was there, they have no place to condemn what the American soldiers did.

We can all be proud of what our relatives did to liberate Europe from Hitler's grasp. What the Nazis tried to do was barbaric. And the troops of the Thunderbird Battalion got a bad rap. No one really knows the horror they had to deal with.

More than likely why my dad didn't speak about the specifics too much.
  5. CliffnMesquite

CliffnMesquite Active Member

4,094 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    Were you able to take a photo of that screen and keep it? My Moms oldest brother died at Pearl and my Mom worked building B-25's durring the war. I have some of her tools and photos from the plant.
  6. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Actually I did with my Blackberry and sent it to my sister in Louisiana. She showed it to my mom and they both were stunned.
  7. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received

look for a torrent of it and burn it on dvd in HD.

that two part doc was great. I like many am still in awe of everything to do with that war. Its amazing how evil and how twisted mentally they were over there.

My grandfather kept a journal, which was against the law but him and his friends did anyway while in the pacific. I have never had the chance to read it. My aunt has all that stuff locked up and put away. The nazi flag is pretty amazing to look at, it had stains on it and bullet holes.

the first night, the rist of the third reich was on wednesday and after they had a doc on hitlers family. Pretty crazy how he hid them the whole time so people wouldnt find out he had mental illness throughout his family and he had a cousin blackmailing him all along also.

I cant imagine living in those times.
  8. 67CowboysFan

67CowboysFan New Member

2,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That's pretty cool. I can't imagine what your initial thoughts were when you seen your dad. I have pt 1 & 2 recorded. I'll make sure to pay attention 1:50 into pt2. :)
  9. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    There are 3 guys. My dad is the guy next to the building. You actually see him a few seconds later when he is alone in a shot.
  10. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I may do that.
  11. Route 66

Route 66 Active Member

3,309 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    Awesome, Cajun.
  12. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,485 Messages
    1,710 Likes Received
    What an absolute thrill. I am so glad you shared this with us. It gave me chills to read. Thank you.
  13. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

49,280 Messages
    3,596 Likes Received
    That is very cool CC. I can't imagine what you must have felt at that exact moment. I watched what I could of that show and was blown away.
  14. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Have you ever felt like you were going to pass out and everything around you kinda gets hazy?

Well, I didn't feel like I was going to pass out but when I paused the picture and looked right into my dad's eyes, everything else around me got hazy like that. Like there was nothing but him and I.
  15. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Absolutely BEYOND cool Cajuncowboy. That must be beyond amazing. Props to you for finding such a gem.

Please post a pic when you can!
  16. 67CowboysFan

67CowboysFan New Member

2,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Is that the scene just before the railroad tracks? I see 3 guys next to the building, the one in the middle wearing glasses. If that is the right scene, you dad would be the one looking through binoculars?

Edit: I just looked a few more frames forward. Think I know which one is your dad now. That is an amazing find. Hope you saved this show to disc to show your grandchildren. :)
  17. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,351 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    so cool man this makes me smile that things like this happen(not the war but you know)
  18. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I am going to save it. Both my kids saw it and were thrilled. Also, my dad would be to the left of the guy with the glasses.
  19. heavyg

heavyg Active Member

1,794 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    Great story Cajun. My dad was also in WWII and didn't talk about it much. He was at pearl harbor.
  20. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,843 Messages
    600 Likes Received