1. Like videos? Check out DirectDamage.com!

On The Tape: Travis Frederick

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by RS12, Apr 28, 2013.

1. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

19,498 Messages
    9,969 Likes Received
    I think that Frederick played "too heavy" in college. He was listed at 338 which is way too heavy for a guy that is 6'3-5/8". He weighed 312 at the combine. I think his playing weight will be somewhere between those two numbers. He will obviously be quicker at 312 or 320 than at 338.
  2. Fla Cowpoke

Fla Cowpoke Well-Known Member

2,862 Messages
    670 Likes Received
    I don't think you understand the difference between a fact and an opinion.
  3. bsheeern

bsheeern Well-Known Member

1,774 Messages
    71 Likes Received
    You just didn't miss brother. You said he was a waste of a draft pick and would be out if the league in 3 years.

You expect people to let that go? It speaks way more about talent evaluation than maybe you realize.
  4. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

43,058 Messages
    2,590 Likes Received
    I know you don't.
  5. bsheeern

bsheeern Well-Known Member

1,774 Messages
    71 Likes Received
    No stats don't lie. They are facts. Written In stone.

What we as fans need to realize is that stats are only numbers. While factual numbers they should never be used without being taken with a grain of salt. Because they alone don't make you a good or bad football player.

In fact if they were heads up in a "shoe carrying contest" looks like Costa would be your man hands down. Point is, we don't, or at least I don't, watch shoe carrying competitions.
  6. burmafrd

43,058 Messages
    2,590 Likes Received
    I guess you really missed the part about playing not measuring. Not surprising
  7. burmafrd

43,058 Messages
    2,590 Likes Received
    you can twist stats around to prove any point you want to; that was what he meant
  8. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

19,498 Messages
    9,969 Likes Received
    Yes, I expect him to be much quicker in games at around 320 than his college listed weight of 338.

I think coming in to training camp at the correct weight is a big key to Frederick's success. I think his combine weight of 312 is too light and his college weight of 338+ is way too heavy.
  9. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

22,732 Messages
    2,436 Likes Received
    Combine: Gurode vs Frederick
    ------------------40----10---20sp---20ss---3c------vj-----bj
    6 ft 4¼ in 316 lb 5.34 s 1.89 s 3.14 s 5.05 s 8.15 s 30½ in 8 ft 4 in
    6 ft 3½ in 312 lb 5.58 s 1.91 s 3.14 s 4.76 s 7.81 s 28½ in 8 ft 1 in
  10. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

18,620 Messages
    4,084 Likes Received
    Mark Twain wrote fiction.
  11. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

29,355 Messages
    3,388 Likes Received
    I don't remember all of the details of what I said like you do but, yes, I didn't think Demarco would be the level of back he is.

I can't evaluate what I never saw and I never saw a guy that imposed his will on teams like he has for us in his 2 years here.

Productive player in college? Absolutely. A power back with speed? No, never saw that.

It would be like Frederick coming out here in the Fall and being nimble. You just don't see it in College.

Bottom line is everyone whiffs on players and he was a whiff for me. I'll gladly put my overall hit or miss on players, especially O Linemen, against anyone.

Heck, I missed on Terrell Suggs too. I took heat for wanting Willis McGahee over Lee Suggs and Greg Jones. I had to argue with this very fan base that Demarcus Ware was much more talented than Merriman.
  12. nalam

nalam The realist

1,782 Messages
    176 Likes Received
    If he can anchor soundly first, I'll be happy, as we often saw the center pushed back into Romo's face often , no room to step up at all. I think Fred can do that , check out how strong he is waist down ,in Rafael Vela's blog.

And still he has room to grow in upper body and improve strength . Wocik should help him with that.
  13. speedkilz88

22,732 Messages
    2,436 Likes Received
    You didn't see anything prior to his senior season then, because it was obvious in those games. His senior year wasn't very impressive but it was due to a horrible OL.
  14. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

18,620 Messages
    4,084 Likes Received
    I don't remember the details but I remember you made the claim on the basis that 'he didn't scare you like Peterson did.'
  15. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

3,090 Messages
    190 Likes Received
    The guy doesn't have great lateral movement IMO. When he pulls its kinda painful to watch. I think he is a smart guy that has a tendency to lean on people and not really use his hands. He will let defensive players into his chest. His second level blocking is what worries me the most. He seems to have a hard time getting to the second level and blocking his man. He tends to reach in those situations and then get beat. I think most of these things can be coached up and improved. I don't know if he will ever be able to pull or second level block very well. He does not get driven into the backfield though. He will be able to keep the pressure right up the middle off of Romo.
  16. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

7,671 Messages
    1,015 Likes Received
    Good point.
  17. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

29,355 Messages
    3,388 Likes Received
    Lol nobody scares me like Peterson does so I don't know why I would've said that.
  18. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

29,355 Messages
    3,388 Likes Received
    I've followed Murray since before he was a Freshman coming out of Las Vegas and he was always more finesse.

Most Sooner fans thought he was the next Reggie Bush when he was recruited there.
  19. speedkilz88

22,732 Messages
    2,436 Likes Received
    You're just digging a deeper hole then. His first year he was smaller and faster but after that he was getting bigger & showed the power.