1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Once Again the Media Quoted it Wrong

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Bluestang, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,513 Messages
    716 Likes Received
  2. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,507 Messages
    6,257 Likes Received
    The explanation here is that the audio quoting Jerry in the wake of the Rob Ryan firing was from a general interview question Mickey had asked in a taped interview prior to the announcement that Ryan had been let go. After that announcement, they released the footage to the local flagship station, and it was roundly circulated and cited as support for the Ryan firing when the actual context was more general. Nothing surprising, especially when it comes to covering Dallas and riling up our notoriously touchy fan base nationally.
  3. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,929 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    He said "we" when talking about how the team played. He said "I" when talking about what he didn't like and making decisions.

That's what people object to, that he didn't say "We" didn't like the way the defense played against Seattle and Chicago.
  4. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,804 Messages
    1,699 Likes Received

I do the same thing Lab. For example, when talking College Basketball, when Carolina losses to Duke, it's "We". When Carolina beats Duke, it's "I".

:D
  5. Idgit

30,507 Messages
    6,257 Likes Received
    He's the owner and the GM. And an egomaniac. He's going to say 'I' sometimes when he should be saying 'we.' People don't like it (I don't like it), but complaining about it is kind of like complaining about gravity.
  6. cowboyschmps3

cowboyschmps3 Well-Known Member

2,674 Messages
    170 Likes Received
    He can say what he wants
  7. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,567 Messages
    501 Likes Received
    It's GRAVITY'S fault that I'm overweight!
  8. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,481 Messages
    8,381 Likes Received
    He says I because he runs all aspects of this team.

Complaining about it only makes you aware of the situation and how detrimental it is to the Cowboys.
  9. juck

juck Well-Known Member

9,125 Messages
    80 Likes Received
    He mentioned those two games a lot. Meanwhile he forgets Romo threw 5 picks against Chicago lol
  10. Idgit

30,507 Messages
    6,257 Likes Received
    My old business partner used to say 'I' all the time when we were in meetings with third parties. It irked me, and we'd talk about it each time afterward. But I know all too well that business was a 'we' and not an 'I' business. The point is, someone saying 'I' doesn't always mean 'I'. In Jerry's case, it may well, though. It's not like the guy's ego isn't enormous.
  11. cowboyeric8

cowboyeric8 Chicks dig crutches

5,244 Messages
    121 Likes Received
    There is no such thing as gravity, the earth sucks.
  12. FLCowboyFan

FLCowboyFan Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.

2,263 Messages
    169 Likes Received
    Did he even say defense in there? I didn't hear him say offensive or defensive. I just heard we.
  13. Idgit

30,507 Messages
    6,257 Likes Received
    The Realist motto. :)
  14. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,513 Messages
    716 Likes Received
    I only referenced the "we" in regards to the reasoning that Ryan got fired because of the SEA and CHI games.

The media reported the Jerry quotes as the reasons he was let go, which was clearly not the case because Jerry spoke in terms that he did not like how the team performed overall. (we)

Changes are coming on the offense.

But I also find curious why no one is mentioning what was talked on the Lunch Break and Talkin' Cowboys about how Ryan skipped defensive meetings towards the end of the season?
  15. Idgit

30,507 Messages
    6,257 Likes Received
    I'm intending to listen to this on my way home tonight. It's astounding info to me, if it's true.

Again, if it's true, this is the kind of stuff that just has me shaking my head when it comes to how this team is covered. So much sensation and garbage over play calling, Dez's pants, Tony's leadership, whatever, and a juicy headline-grabbing disjunction between Garrett's expectations and Rob's organization and/or work ethic flies completely under the radar by everybody. I don't believe this sort of thing should be all that easy to keep secret if the local press weren't basically a bunch of tamed animals.

That said, I don't know how much I believe the report. It's more likely that Rob missed a meeting or two while he was juggling obligations or the like. Unless there's more detail in the audio I haven't heard yet.
  16. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,165 Messages
    2,796 Likes Received

That's because it would be an agenda breaker.
  17. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,319 Messages
    2,122 Likes Received
    tbh wish the title was more descriptive as to what they got wrong. "Media misquotes Jones concerning Ryan firing" says whats up. That question answer did not even say the word 'defense.'

I wish there was some more honor in the sports journalism profession.
  18. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,980 Messages
    988 Likes Received
    If you hear the interview and come away NOT understanding that Jerry is primarily referencing the defense (even while he's saying we) then I I don't know what to tell you.

Mickey, in typical biased fashion, leads Jerry with the question by mentioning injuries (of which the defense was primarily effected), "especially the defense" which frames most of the discussion then around the defense and "cloud your judgement" which suggests that judging with injuries in mind isn't clear thinking.

The fact that Jerry says we doesn't mean anything other than he isn't willing to say "I don't like the way X called plays", because this isn't his first time working with a team. You never say I when discussing the work of those under you.
  19. Double Trouble

Double Trouble Well-Known Member

8,475 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    You find it curious that no one is talking about a broadcast that almost no one besides you listened to?