1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: One take on Jay Ratliff's near physical altercation with a beat reporter...vid added

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Dec 15, 2011.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,385 Messages
    4,338 Likes Received
    IRVING - What happened in the Cowboys' locker room between nose tackle Jay Ratliff and a veteran Cowboys beat reporter on Thursday should not come as a giant surprise. I was there to witness the "fun", which was a tad uncomfortable, and totally predictable.

Ratliff had to be physically separated from long-time Cowboys beat reporter Calvin Watkins, who now works for ESPNDallas.com. Watkins previously worked for the Star-Telegram, Dallas Morning News and has been around this team for years.

On Thursday, Watkins was asking Ratliff about the news regarding former Cowboys receiver Sam Hurd's arrest for drug trafficking. The chat went south quickly;*suddenly I see Marcus Spears and Martellus Bennett pushing both Ratliff and Watkins in opposite directions.*Some rather unfriendly, and unprintable, words were exchanged. Something like, "You stink." "No, you stink" ... only with saltier language, at a much higher volume.

Read the rest: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...hysical-altercation-with-a-beat-reporter.html
  2. BlueStar3398

BlueStar3398 Active Member

1,544 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Jay knows Sam personally and is probably very concerned about what will happen to him and his family. Calvin admits on Twitter that he shouldn't have pressed the issue and should've walked away.
  3. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,759 Messages
    197 Likes Received
    While most of the media horde was surrounding Cowboys defensive coordinator Rob Ryan, who during this near altercation said, "My money's on Ratliff."

Ya think? :laugh2:
  4. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't think media should be in the lockerooms after practice... Just my thought.
  5. starchamber

starchamber Member

323 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Where was that aggression Sunday night when Brandon Jacobs disrespected the star on national TV no less. Way to go Jay...
  6. 67CowboysFan

67CowboysFan New Member

2,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    After the games is enough. Let them report instead of instigate and write tabloid articles.
  7. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Agreed...
  8. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    x

I dunno, man, Watkins is a professional reporter, thus expert in the use of paper... I could see him inflicting a nasty paper cut on the Rat...
  9. trickblue

28,759 Messages
    197 Likes Received
    Understand... this is what the Dallas Media does... tear down players/management for headlines...

It's the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen...

Watkins better be glad Rat was restrained... He would have gotten an *** whooping of the highest order...

Yes... you read here Calvin and you were out of line...

Freedom of the press is no argument for you getting smashed in the face... your stories have consequences...
  10. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    I don't have a problem with the media having access to the locker room, but i don't agree with players being forced to talk. That's ridiculous. If they don't want to talk, there's no reason they should be required to.. especially since there are never any quality questions being asked anyway. Its always little BS like this trying to stir up drama so the reporters can get themselves noticed.

Hope next time Ratliff chokes the moron.
  11. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,633 Messages
    561 Likes Received
    I thought this comment after the article was pretty funny:

"All Calvin needs to do is wear a New York Giants #10 jersey. Not a player in that locker room could touch him."

Posted by: Scott S. | 12/15/2011 at 09:49 PM
  12. 67CowboysFan

67CowboysFan New Member

2,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Freedom of the press meet freedom of the fist. ;)
  13. trickblue

28,759 Messages
    197 Likes Received
    It's not freedom of the press... it's "gotcha"...

The Dallas Media is sickening in this respect...

Dig up unsubstantiated dirt... print it... I'm going to the bar...
  14. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,492 Messages
    1,756 Likes Received
    Our media just aren't very bright.
  15. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,385 Messages
    4,338 Likes Received
    I advise everyone to read the rest, because I found it quite interesting...
  16. 67CowboysFan

67CowboysFan New Member

2,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The end of that article was great for a laugh. Engle goes to great lengths to prove something. All the way back to when Rat was a teenager. The Dallas media is pure comedy.
  17. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Its not just the Dallas media, either.. its all media.

Any chance they get the turn into TMZ reporters trying to stir up the drama to get their name out there. Most of them are garbage, imo. You have a few who are respectable and professional, but not many.
  18. SaltwaterServr

SaltwaterServr Blank Paper Offends Me

8,124 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It would be funny if it wasn't so damn sad.
  19. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,557 Messages
    5,290 Likes Received
    Jay and Jacobs are good friends from their Auburn days.

And by 'sad' we mean 'melodramatic.'
  20. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,557 Messages
    5,290 Likes Received
    Watkins provokes a player, doesn't leave when asked, and we get to hear it's because the player made things uncomfortable. Got it. I don't understand why that guy has a job. His articles are awful and full of errors, and he goes out of his way to provoke players and coaches, making himself part of the story. He's a clown.