1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

One week vacation spot

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by 5Stars, May 1, 2013.

1. NorthTexan95

NorthTexan95 Well-Known Member

1,255 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    If you're not the outdoors type ...

* I love San Antonio for the food, Texas history, near by missions, etc.

* Myrtle Beach has lots to do and the Rangers have a minor league team there.

* Love NYC but it's pricey.

* DC can also be a great experience for the kids. So much to do there.

* If you have the money to fly across the country to visit, you could also look at a trip to Ireland. It's inexpensive compared to other Eurpoean countries. The flight isn't bad, people are nice, and there's plenty to see. A week is just about perfect to see most of the main tourist places.
  2. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,289 Messages
    4,608 Likes Received
    Florida Keys.

Although not Continental US...The US Virgin Islands. No passport needed and loved it.
  3. hipfake08

hipfake08 Well-Known Member

4,468 Messages
    106 Likes Received
    Real hikers do the Pacific Crest trail.
  4. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,552 Messages
    1,813 Likes Received
    I'm thinking Colorado, especially if I could go during the winter months. Would love to do some snowboarding out there.
  5. Faerluna

Faerluna I'm Complicated

5,144 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Disney/Universal Studios.
  6. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,626 Messages
    412 Likes Received
    Orlando is not that expensive unless you stay at one of the top end Disney resort hotels. Now that is half of the fun of being there, like Animal Kingdom Lodge etc but they do have cheaper resorts there too. In Orlando itself you can stay at really cheap no service motels like Econolodge, Motel 6 and Super 8 as well.
  7. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,626 Messages
    412 Likes Received
    Florida or California?

The hotels at Universal in Florida are pretty decent too.
  8. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,669 Messages
    3,187 Likes Received
    Washington DC.

The shear amount of stuff to see and do within an hour's radius is mind-boggling.

A week would only scratch the surface, but it would be a start. :D
  9. Phrozen Phil

Phrozen Phil Active Member

3,894 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    I've been to several of the a/n suggestions and they are all winners. If you're taking kids, then finding an active holiday is a wonderful idea. Key West is a place I'd go back to, but if I had small children with me and it was around FantasyFest (around Halloween) it could be challenging explaining the naked people around there. There is a Children's Festival as part of that event, but it's not for the entire week. I was there a year and a half ago and a whole cruise ship full of nudists came ashore on one afternoon. A lot of skin and much of it was not pretty.:eek:
  10. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,290 Messages
    240 Likes Received
    I've seen Yellowstone mentioned.....if that interests you, consider Glacier National Park in NW Montana. Pretty amazing.

If you go, get a huckleberry shake and thank me later.
  11. Faerluna

Faerluna I'm Complicated

5,144 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Florida. We have friends there so we would most likely stay with them and all go together. They also have 2 young children.
  12. StanleySpadowski

StanleySpadowski Active Member

4,815 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The greater Tampa area. Has something for everyone. Ft Desoto is one of the nicest beaches in the world, Busch Gardens, Museum of Science and Industry, Winter the dolphin with the artificial tail, Lowry Park Zoo,excellent fishing, TPC of Tampa Bay is a great track and one of the best values, probably the best strip clubs in the US, spring training...

Washington DC is a great choice simply for the Smithsonian. I've spent hundreds of hours there and haven't even scratched the surface.

NYC can be too touristy if you don't know what you're doing and doesn't offer as much for children as you would think.
  13. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

6,596 Messages
    2,155 Likes Received
    For all of us who hate the Skins, lose that hatred for a few days and visit D.C. There is a lot to do there and should be on everyone's bucket list.

Smithsonian, White House, monuments, etc, etc to see but my favorite was the FBI building. I would go back just to see that again.

If it makes ya feel better, drive by RFK and FedExField and send them a nice gesture :)
  14. bigdnlaca

bigdnlaca Active Member

971 Messages
    32 Likes Received
    Seattle (especially in the Spring-Summer time)
  15. QT

QT Active Member

1,902 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Seattle is great in the summer, you can also venture up to Vancouver. If your a fisherman, you can do some sturgeon fishing. Actually Seattle is great in the winter as well, you can go up to Canada and ski/snowboard at Whistler.
  16. Kristen82

Kristen82 Benched

965 Messages
    221 Likes Received
    Hmm, there's a parallel bike trail too. I should pick up Cheryl Strayed's book.
  17. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

9,067 Messages
    367 Likes Received
    Man, it just doesn't get any better than it is right now in Seattle. For a good 5-6 months out of the year, it rocks. Then, for the other 6 months, I miss living in Texas. :)