1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Only 2 WDE's available to fit our scheme...

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by rpatricc, May 9, 2014.

1. rpatricc

rpatricc Active Member

738 Messages
    156 Likes Received
    Demarcus Lawrence and Jeremiah Attaochu. They are the only true "quick twitch" "bend the corner" premier weakside DE's left. Everyone projecting Ealy, Crihcton, or even Kareem Martin as WDE are off base in my opinion. These guys are more fit for SDE (Crichton & Martin) or 3-tech (Ealy) in our scheme. They are bigger and stronger at the point of attack, but not the quick-off-the-ball-and-around-the-corner guys Marinelli wants at that position.

Presumably, Atlanta will take one of Lawrence or Attaouchu at Pick 37 given their pressing need. If we are inclined to jump Atlanta (and trade with Oakland right above), according to the trade value chart, we would have to give up our #2, our #4, and either our #5 or two #7's (or maybe #4 next year). If you think either of these players has 12-sack per year upside, I think you do it. If not, you sit tight and take the best available 1-technique (Jernigan, Nix, Hageman) or roll the dice on 3-technique (Sutton).
    RonSpringsdaman20 likes this.
  2. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,508 Messages
    1,497 Likes Received
    Actually, I think Jackson Jeffcoat fits as well. His athleticism is right there as well.
    JIMMYBUFFETT and Irvin88_4life like this.
  3. MonsterD

MonsterD Quota outta absentia

3,493 Messages
    242 Likes Received
    Hard to argue the logic, but you never know one of those guys might end up playing well at WDE, just need bodies on the line.
  4. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

3,845 Messages
    1,447 Likes Received
    How do you view Kyle Van Noy? More of a 3-4 OLB but the same thing could be said about Barr, Mack and Ford and I bet we'd all be happy with one of those three.
  5. ABQCOWBOY

34,508 Messages
    1,497 Likes Received
    I like Van Noy.
    JDSTAR likes this.
  6. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,283 Messages
    1,177 Likes Received
    Those are the only 2 that fit in this round but there are others.
    If we are looking at solely 3rd down pass rushers you can look in other rounds and see guys like Aaron Lynch, Howard Jones or even Michael Sam.

Might shoot for 3T at 47 then aim for a 7T later on that is going to rotate in.
    Days of Ware/Spencer playing 90% of the snaps are over.
  7. Smith22

Smith22 Well-Known Member

5,747 Messages
    197 Likes Received
    FWIW, Broaddus was just on 105.3 the fan and said no way no how the Boys take him in the 3rd.
  8. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,283 Messages
    1,177 Likes Received
    he probably would have to bulk up and play SDE.
    never really been an elite player.
    good, solid player with athleticism but never truly matched game to name at Plano West or UT.

r4/r5 guy imho.
  9. rpatricc

rpatricc Active Member

738 Messages
    156 Likes Received
    I live in Boise, so I've seen Van Noy play against Boise State in person a couple of times. He's definitely disruptive, but he is much more of a true OLB to me than Barr, Mack, and Ford. He just does not have their weight. I think he is only 235 pounds. I dont see him as a fit at DE for us.
  10. TonyRomo17

TonyRomo17 Well-Known Member

659 Messages
    250 Likes Received
    Depends on who Atlanta likes more tbh, they have met with both Ealy and Lawrence
  11. ABQCOWBOY

34,508 Messages
    1,497 Likes Received
    He's listed at 243 and I think he could probably play at 255-260 if you moved him to WDE but I agree. At WOLB in a Tampa2, he could be really good IMO.
  12. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,630 Messages
    2,012 Likes Received
    Yeah. I tend to think of Jeffcoat as 4th round or not at all.

But the only thing is this draft that I was willing to say "never" on was us taking Manziel at 16 or earlier.
    So I used up my quota :D
  13. da_whiz_kid

da_whiz_kid Active Member

864 Messages
    110 Likes Received
    I disagree on Crichton. I think he can play WDE and has enough quick twitch to get off the line and can get around the corner. He may not be as fast, but he is quick off the line, stronger, and at 270 more able to play in a full time role at the position. I saw all this on the tape. Dude will be fine. has 33" arms, 10 in hands, 24 on the bench and did the 3 Cone in 7.19.
    With that being said, I do like Attaochu and would like him too is possible. I like both Crichton and Attaochu over Demarcus Lawrence.

Later DE we could get that could possibly fill the role given some better coaching Ethan Westbrooks and Aaron Lynch.
    From a corner bending and edge get off James Gayle possesses those skills but lacks immensely in strength(I wouldnt draft him, but see why someone would).

There is also Chris Smith in the 3rd.

You also have guys who could play it more situational and develop their skill set such as Howard Jones and Derrell Jones(explosive get off, short arms, great bull rush).

Then there is Michael Sam for late in the draft. IMO a better edge rusher than Kony Ealy. Horrible combine, but game tape showed a much better player.

They just need to be smart and aware as to how they go about this situation.
  14. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,959 Messages
    555 Likes Received
    This is such a short sighted view. As if only 1 type of DE has success getting to the QB in a 4-3. You can't just look at a piece of paper and decide who can and can't rush the qb based on measurables and work out #'s. You would eliminate many of the best DE's in the NFL with this mindset.
    JoeyBoy718 and da_whiz_kid like this.
  15. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

11,579 Messages
    4,142 Likes Received
    Lawrence is not a super fast guy but he does play like a WDE.

It would be nice to get one of those types, but the Cowboys have too many needs to try to force the pick. They can take a SDE, at DE or some other position. Just get the BPA.

If they don't get a classic WDE early, they could take a couple of projects in the later rounds like Aaron Lynch or Devon Kennard. In the mid rounds Chris Smith or Ethan Westbrooks.

Some are projecting Howard Jones to LB, but I think he could be a good Nickel pass rusher. He has elite type athleticism.

There is one more late round guy but I can't remember his name at the moment. He's tall and ran fairly fast...
  16. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,632 Messages
    561 Likes Received
    Scheme? Garrett is in the final year of his contract. Marinelli and Garrett might not even be here next year. Who knows what the scheme will be next year? Just draft BPA regardless of scheme. As Parcells said, good football players can play in any scheme. Scheme and gameplan based on your talent. Plus, teams play so many schemes and variations of schemes.

Never draft for immediate needs unless you think you are that one player away form it all. Draft for the future.
    Risen Star likes this.
  17. marchetta

marchetta Well-Known Member

3,022 Messages
    112 Likes Received
    Garrett said, in affect, that there were only 3 RDE with 1st round grades (Clowney, Barr, and Lawerence). So, we had to overpay to insure we got the last one. According to Norm, Rod's scheme requires a rush RDE to make it work. We were planning on using Shazier as a hybrid DE after we lost out on Barr. But after we lost out on Shazier, it put us behind the eight ball and we were in a position were we needed the last RDE left in the draft with 1st rd ability. So, we had to overpay for him.
    JBell523 likes this.
  18. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

49,355 Messages
    3,643 Likes Received
    This is good stuff. You know there would be a price to pay for missing out on Shazier.
  19. Tezz

Tezz Active Member

378 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    Very interesting thought on Shazier being a hybrid pass rusher could definitely see that as he is up there as one of the most athletic players in draft great blitzing skills

Wonder if they went Shazier first do they still trade up but for Joe Botino
  20. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,811 Messages
    7,177 Likes Received
    That's a bunch of crap to me. They weren't forced to do anything. You hear this every year why they had to pay a premium price. The fact is the two guys making these decisions are reactionary idiots who don't have a clue how to build a winning football team.

They were forced to in their own mind.
    Zordon and visionary like this.