1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Ordered my first laptop (HP Envy 15)

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Cowboy Brian, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,917 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    Picture of it below: (found that pic in google)

[IMG]

ordered one:
    Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-430M Dual Core processor (2.26GHz, 3MB L2 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to 2.53GHz
    4GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
    320GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
    1GB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) HD 5830 Graphics - For i5 and i7-620M Processors
    15.6" diagonal Full High Definition LED HP Ultra Brightview Widescreen Display (1920x1080)
    Webcam Only
    Intel Wireless-N Card with Bluetooth
    HP QuickWeb, Corel VideoStudio Pro X2, Corel Paintshop Pro X2, Stardock My Colors
    HP Color Matching Keyboard
    Extra 6 Cell Lithium Ion Polymer Battery
    No Productivity Software
    HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope

with 1 year completecare came to $1287.87 with tax/shipping/all that. I used coupon code NBMY33241 incase anyone is in the market for a laptop (it saves you $450 dollars)

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/s...otebooks&series_name=ENVY15_series&aoid=35252
  2. ajk23az

ajk23az Through Pain Comes Clarity

7,670 Messages
    53 Likes Received
    Nice computer, but for that money I would have went with a Mac. Im almost fed up with Windows now. I've been fixing my laptops constantly, though this one has been running for 4 years now, which is the longest lasting laptop I have had.
  3. Cowboy Brian

11,917 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    I hate macs. Me getting this laptop is great news for the CowboysZone. Now while im watching TV Ill be on CZ, now 14 hours a day I will have access to the CowboysZone.
  4. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    [IMG]

We'd like to have a word with your parents.
  5. Cowboy Brian

11,917 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    They cant be reached right now, there sleeping!
  6. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    lol, they thought you feel asleep watching Pokemon. Silly parents.
  7. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,649 Messages
    5,560 Likes Received
    :cry2:
  8. CliffnMesquite

CliffnMesquite Well-Known Member

4,311 Messages
    163 Likes Received
    Oh, that kind of lap top. ;)

Nice computer.
  9. Cowboy Brian

11,917 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    Thankyou
  10. Gzus

Gzus Romosexual

1,257 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Actually Windows now is pretty good. Windows 7 compared to Vista is a massive improvement. I've yet to have any major problems with Windows 7. It's too bad you didn't go with the i7 & the 16Gb RAM would have cost you an additional 1k tho :) If you max out that laptop you're looking @ $4k which IMO would be worth it if I had $4k cause a Quad Core laptop w/ 16 Gb RAM and 320Gb solid state HDD would last a long while probably 4-5 years.
  11. Cowboy Brian

11,917 Messages
    340 Likes Received

in 1 year that laptop that costs $4k now costs $2k.
  12. Gzus

Gzus Romosexual

1,257 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The most expensive part of the fully loaded one is the i7, RAM, and solid state drive. the i7, 16Gb RAM, and solid state will not drop a considerable amount in a year, maybe two or three but those techs are still considerably expensive now and will continue to be so for a few more years. I don't see those dropping anytime soon since they are the top of the line. Once they come out with better things it will still take a year or two for those to drop down in price.
  13. Jenky

Jenky Well-Known Member

3,422 Messages
    864 Likes Received
    Dude really? It's hard enough to future proof any computer let alone a laptop. My Core i7 desktop, 12gb of DDR3 memory and a SSD i built myself won't even come close to that laptop in price. But in terms of upgrading capability, its no comparison. Desktops are still easier to upgrade + better performance. Oh I forgot to even mention overclocking. Good luck overclocking a factory built laptop. The only thing a laptop has is portability. In every other category they lose pretty badly.
  14. Jenky

Jenky Well-Known Member

3,422 Messages
    864 Likes Received
    The current SSDs running sata 2.0 have begun to drop. I think sata 3.0 has speeds up to 350 mb/s, so they will drive down the price of SSDs using the sata 2.0 interface eventually.
  15. Jenky

Jenky Well-Known Member

3,422 Messages
    864 Likes Received
    Nice computer. Be sure to burn your system restore discs when you have a chance. Hp doesn't supply you them If I recall. These will come in handy if you ever run into PC problems in the future.
  16. Cowboy Brian

11,917 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    How do I do that
  17. Jenky

Jenky Well-Known Member

3,422 Messages
    864 Likes Received
    HP Recovery

Recovery discs are not shipped with computers using the Recovery Manager
    HP does not include recovery discs with computers that are shipped with the HP Recovery Manager. You can use Recovery Manager to create a personal set of recovery discs. In the event that the hard drive crashes or the computer system becomes corrupted, you can use the personal recovery discs to restore the system to its original condition.
    CAUTION: The HP Recovery Manager allows the creation of only one (1) set of recovery discs, and the discs are unique to the individual PC. The recovery discs cannot be used to restore the operating system to another PC.
    Because the personal recovery disc includes only the files needed for your specific computer, you can perform a recovery in less than an hour. See Create a set of operating system recovery discs .
    If you choose not to make your personal recovery disc, and you order a replacement recovery disc from HP, it will contain information needed for multiple models, and a recovery can take up to four to six hours or more. See HP Notebook PCs - Order Recovery Discs for Windows Vista or XP or Windows 7
  18. Cowboy Brian

11,917 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    This Notebook doesnt have a optical drive.
  19. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    :lmao2::bang2::bang2::lmao2::bang2::bang2::lmao2:

I dont know if I should feel bad for you or laugh at you.
  20. Cowboy Brian

11,917 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    Optical drives are useless to me, just download whatever I need. Ill buy recovery disks.