1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Orson Charles and Phillip Blake

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by RamziD, Apr 28, 2012.

1. RamziD

RamziD Well-Known Member

1,915 Messages
    117 Likes Received
    This is who I've settled on for tonight. It might change by tomorrow. I don't know if I can wait another 10 hours :)
  2. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Im with you on Charles, but I really don't see the point in Phillip Blake. He's not ready to play right away, and we already got more project interior OL than we know what to do with and he'll be a year behind them. There's no point in drafting an interior OL just for the sake of saying you drafted an interior OL.
  3. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Well-Known Member

4,689 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    That's a very good point!!!
  4. RamziD

RamziD Well-Known Member

1,915 Messages
    117 Likes Received
    You don't think he can beat out Costa or Kowalski? I mean, if we can get a starting OC and Nagy/Arkin/Livings/Bernadeau fight it out for the OG positions, then I think we have a pretty good OL going into this season.
  5. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    No, I really don't think he can beat out Costa or Kowalski (and Nagy and Arkin are competing for a spot there). It's a horrible, horrible, horrible center draft. Aside from Konz, there was nobody ready to step in and play Day 1. So when a guy can't even crack the 3rd round in a draft when teams are looking high and low for anyone who can play the position, that should tell you something bout what he is.

Throw in the fact that he'll be coming in from a college spead offense and will have to adjust to playing pro style ball (Danny Watkins struggled horribly last year), throw in the fact that he's one or two years behind those guys in NFL strength and conditioning and learning the Cowboys offense, and throw in the fact that he's got the reputation of being lazy and not a self starter .... I see a guy who has a good chance to be a training camp cut due to a numbers game.

Im with you on Charles .. he can make the roster as a 2nd/3rd TE and would be good value there.
  6. RamziD

RamziD Well-Known Member

1,915 Messages
    117 Likes Received
    Solid points. I don't claim to be anywhere near a draft expert. I just go by what I read from reputable posters on this forum and scouting sites. The point is, I think everyone can agree that we need an upgrade at OC. If the Cowboys already have a plan for that which doesn't include using a draft pick on one, then that's fine.
  7. RamziD

RamziD Well-Known Member

1,915 Messages
    117 Likes Received
    Yeah, the Charles pick seems to make perfect sense. We obviously love using 2 TE sets and Charles is effective in both the passing game and at blocking. This helps out our OL and, ultimately, Tony Romo. Win-win.
  8. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    I'm for an upgrade over OC, but unfortunately the pickens were slim this year. I think everyone in this draft after the 2nd round is pretty much the equivalent of what we already have. In business project management you learn just throwing bodies at a problem doesn't solve it. It's like getting 9 different women pregnant hoping you can get a baby in a month.

The best chance for an upgrade is for someone in house to take a huge stride and claim the job away from Costa. Callahan should have no sentimental favorites or pet cats among this bunch considering he didn't bring them in, so let the best man win.
  9. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,597 Messages
    1,013 Likes Received
    Charles is not a great blocker. I expect we look blocker first. He's more a decent receiver who needs to improve his blocking. He's a good pick but not really for us. We don't need more guys who need to get the ball.

I'm feeling more of a Macey Brooks/Wane McGarity pick for the first 4th, followed by a near miss on a center then a reach for a Derrick Lassic type
  10. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,881 Messages
    7,616 Likes Received
    Blake would immediately challenge for a starting job in Dallas. He's one of the top 3 players at his position and was slated to go in between the third and fourth rounds. I haven't heard anything about him having a reputation for being lazy, either. Just a good pass-blocker and someone who's going to need to develop more strength at the next level.
  11. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,039 Messages
    1,146 Likes Received
    Yes, there's absolutely no doubt that Blake would immediately start in Dallas. Go back and watch every single RGIII video (if you can stomach it -- because he's good and will cause us problems for years). Blake is a legit week 1 starter.
  12. SaltwaterServr

SaltwaterServr Blank Paper Offends Me

8,124 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Gotta go with you on this one. Blake's been my pet cat since Konz got picked up.

On a side note, has anyone looked at what Pittsburgh interior OL looks like now? They could be a nasty bunch.
  13. RamziD

RamziD Well-Known Member

1,915 Messages
    117 Likes Received
    You can add on to my list Tank Carder, Jarius Wright, and Braylon Broughton in rounds 5-7.
  14. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,035 Messages
    934 Likes Received
    I like Blake, but I agree that Watkins struggles last year are a little concerning. Then again, he did move from LT to G. Blake, obviously, stays at C. So it's a different scenario.

Would like Charles in this round too.
  15. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Not a bad call, though there are some tight ends in the 5th and 6th round range I like as well...

Lardarius Green, Louisiana-Lafayette... poor man's Jay Novacek, likely 4th round pick...

Rhett Ellison, USC... loaded with all kinds of intangibles that Garrett likes, he'll go in the 5th or 6th round...

Taylor Thompson, SMU... converting from DE, he intrigues me a lot... solid 6th round prospect...

James Hanna, Oklahoma... I hate drafting Sooners, but he has stretch the field ability... another likely 6th rounder...

Derek Carrier, Beloit... played WR in college, will make the big jump to TE and the NFL... a 7th round prospect...

Garrett Celek, Michigan State... the younger brother of Eagles' TE Brent Celek... another 7th rounder...

With this wealth of talent at TE available later, I think I'd wait to draft my TE... instead, I'd either look at NT Hebron Fangupo from BYU (since all the critics of the Crawford pick are whining about how we desperately need a NT), or one of the linebackers who might be on the board-- ILB James-Michael Johnson from Nevada, OLB Keenan Robinson from Texas, OLB Cam Johnson from Virginia, or OLB Jonathon Massaquoi from Troy...
  16. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    If Blake isn't ready now, will he ever be?

He's gonna be 27 this year.
  17. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,241 Messages
    1,406 Likes Received
    I'm with you on Blake, and a linebacker.
  18. jamesdojr

jamesdojr Member

650 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I like James Hanna as much as I like Charles and I think you can get Hanna later.

All the obvious good Olinemen are gone. I'm sure there are guys that will pan out to be pro bowlers but you'd have to have a crystal ball at this point to know who.

We need another pass rusher. And we need to keep solidifying our Dline. Philly is following the script of what the NYG have been doing for a few years - and that is putting together stout Dline and linebacking corps. We should do that too. I like Jared Crick. I'd also like us to move Ratliff around from time to time to end - I think that just adds a new wrinkle when teams have to account for the possibility of Ratliff and Ware coming from the same end. So I'd like to have a big strong nose tackle - Like Ta'amu.

Also need a WR. One of my faves is still available - Devon Wylie. Tommy Streeter is very intriguing too. 6'5", very fasst. good hands. Just needs to polish his route running.

I also like Lamar Miller at RB. I think he's one of the best players still available from what I was looing at last night. Guy is a beast at running back. I might pass only becasue I really like Murray, Jones, and Tanner. Tanner is awesome.

Wish draft from this point on...

4. Alameda Ta'amu or Lamar Miller
    4. Jared Crick
    5. Devon Wylie
    6. Winston Guy JR.
    7. James Hanna

19. dillinger319

dillinger319 Striped Leopard Zone Supporter

825 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    Im with you on this... That would be a pretty decent haul... Would maybe like Blake in there though
  20. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,514 Messages
    9,679 Likes Received
    I've had the feeling Charles is destined for Dallas. Wouldn't surprise me at all.

If it happens, it'll be in the 4th round.