1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Orton just wants to hold a clipboard

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by erod, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

14,405 Messages
    2,130 Likes Received
    Anybody know why the dude skipped the first day of practice?
  2. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,683 Messages
    1,708 Likes Received
    Nope. It was "voluntary", but they're never voluntary for quarterbacks.

He either wants more money, or he wants to negotiate a way to retire without having to give back the $3 million of his bonus.

Mentally, I think he's checked out of football, regardless of what his agent says. Otherwise, he would have been there.

Do we really want a backup QB going through the motions just so he doesn't have to give back his signing bonus?
  3. Beast_from_East

14,405 Messages
    2,130 Likes Received
    Yea, for $3 million dollars he should have his arse on the practice field. Like you said, there are only a couple of reasons why he would blow off practice.

1. He wants more money because he thinks he might have to play more with Romo's back injury.
    2. He has mentally checked out and just doesn't want to play anymore, despite reports by his agent he is fully committed.

My guess would be he wants more money in a new contract.
  4. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,831 Messages
    433 Likes Received
    Bubbled up by whom exactly?
  5. Beast_from_East

14,405 Messages
    2,130 Likes Received
    By Orton blowing off practice?

Just saw a tweet from Calvin Watkins saying Orton was a no show today.
  6. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

2,658 Messages
    327 Likes Received
    The new gun slinger is an ex-cowboy from Oklahoma State:D
    JustAGuy likes this.
  7. Nirvana

Nirvana Well-Known Member

3,642 Messages
    779 Likes Received
    NFL Network just said Orton did not show up for "voluntary" workouts and is still mulling retirement. Does this change your draft priorities if he retires before the draft?
  8. dallasdave

2,658 Messages
    327 Likes Received
    Hey we got a cowboy from Oklahoma on the team now.
  9. CowboyStar88

CowboyStar88 Well-Known Member

4,418 Messages
    1,020 Likes Received
    Nope I think they are looking at a young prospect regardless and BW was an insurance policy for this particular reason
  10. Nirvana

Nirvana Well-Known Member

3,642 Messages
    779 Likes Received
    That's a questionable insurance policy however, unless we are pleasantly surprised. If Bridgewater or Manziel is there at 16, I think they should make the pick. Manziel is more of a gamble there, but Bridgewater should bring a nice reward for sure when it's time for him to play.
  11. GimmeTheBall!

GimmeTheBall! Junior College Transfer

12,827 Messages
    682 Likes Received
    He'll do a marfelous job holding the clipboard and acting as if he is involved in the strategy.
  12. dallasdave

2,658 Messages
    327 Likes Received

Did someone say clipboard, clipboards, are WE TALKING CLIPBOARDS !
  13. CowboyStar88

CowboyStar88 Well-Known Member

4,418 Messages
    1,020 Likes Received
    I have my doubts that Bridgewater could handle the spotlight of the Cowboys and the media pressure. Yes I he is gifted and talented but him being such a quiet guy it may not be a good gamble here. He would be better served in a place like Cleveland or Jacksonville where the spotlight and media aren't as heavy. But if JFB is there you take him if he's not I'm looking at a guy like Murray in the 3rd as I think he's one of the more complete QBs in the draft
  14. dallasdave

2,658 Messages
    327 Likes Received
    BW for Oklahoma State is in the house and he is a Cowboy once again. Could this have anything to do with Orton's no show?
    GimmeTheBall! likes this.
  15. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

11,903 Messages
    917 Likes Received
    I'm still discussing offensive production (and we weren't the worst defense in NFL history, we weren't even the worst defense this season: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef)

YR
  16. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

11,903 Messages
    917 Likes Received
    Orton threw for 356 yards at 7.7 yards per attempt and completed 65% of his passes. And he did it without a running game.

Romo had a running a game and in his last 8 games of the season he completed 59.6% of his passes for 6.7 yards per attempt.

It wasn't like Romo was completing passes left and right well downfield. He was very dink-n-dunk-ish this season and struggled with his deep pass accuracy all year long outside of the Denver game.

YR
  17. Super_Kazuya

Super_Kazuya Well-Known Member

1,662 Messages
    808 Likes Received
    It's funny that you can't figure out why Orton didn't have a running game and Romo did, even though everything else was the same.

Orton certainly played as well as can be expected under the circumstances, and I had no problem with his effort. But he threw 2 interceptions (Romo had 10 all year) and except for maybe 3 or 4 passes every single one of his completions went exactly where the Eagles wanted them to go. His lack of pocket presence and mobility forced him to throw the ball early, which meant there was virtually no chance at any kind of big play (on a secondary prone to giving them up). The 4th down play against the Skins that made the Eagles game even matter at all (a fairly routine one for Romo) could not have been made by Orton. Because he's Orton.
  18. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,683 Messages
    1,708 Likes Received
    Dink and dunk. Seven yard pass on 3rd and 10. Ridiculous interceptions. Absolutely no chances taken at all.

The defense played OUTSTANDING, and if Romo played, it would have been a rout. Besides, Romo owns that team pretty much.
    StevenOtero likes this.
  19. panchucko

panchucko I'm too excited to sleep.. Zone Supporter

1,959 Messages
    155 Likes Received
    Seems to me that Orton knows his role, he isn't going to come in and unseat Romo from the starting QB position. He does seem ready to come in at a moments notice.
  20. GimmeTheBall!

GimmeTheBall! Junior College Transfer

12,827 Messages
    682 Likes Received
    Evidentally and apparentlously.
    dallasdave likes this.