1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

OT: Save the environment -- turn off Keith Olberman

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Angus, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Angus

Angus Active Member

5,064 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Save The Environment-Turn Off Keith Olbermann
    Nov 06, 2007 | 7:15PM | report this

So NBC "went green" during the Cowboys and Eagles game. I feel cooler already. Then again, who doesn't compared to Bob Costas and Keith Olbermann in a candle lit TV studio. I tuned in the middle and thought it was "The Batchelor" gone horribly wrong, with Olbermann torn between giving the rose and his undying love to either Costas or his own ego.

Let me see if I've got this straight. Twenty-two million people basking in the warm glow of their electricity BLEEP ing televisions, creating a carbon footprint the size of Olbermann's self regard, watch two guys sitting in a darkened TV studio and suddenly rise up from their recliners and dash out to join the Green Party.

Somebody run me down with a Prius.

Let's look at this logically. The most environmentally sensitive thing the dynamic duo could have done was encourage viewers to turn off their TV's. But that might have upset NBC, which is owned by General Electric.

GE wants to get the message out it cares about the environment. That's at least partly because it's corporate strategy is to hit about $20 billion in revenues by 2010 in products specifically geared toward addressing environmental concerns. One way to do that is to heighten public perception of an environmental crisis, push for governmental regulation requiring abatements, then sell the goods and services business will need to meet their new found obligations.

This is not to say there are not legitimate environmental concerns. It's just that you might want to keep your hand on your wallet when you're getting news about a disease from the company that wants to sell you the cure. NBC is making Costas and Olbermann highly paid shills in front of a corporate medicine show tent.

Which brings me to this. The reason I watch sports is so I don't have to think about political issues. You can believe there is no more political or ideologically charged issue than the environment. Leftists want to shut down industry because they hate the idea that someone is making money off capitalism. Meanwhile the right rides around in SUV's that look like armored personnel carriers with "Nuke the Whales" bumper stickers.

I majored in economics and political science in college, and used to enjoy discussing the news of the day. But over the last few years I came to the conclusion everybody I talked to about politics was a raving fanatic. Except for me. And I wasn't too sure about me.

So I retreated to a simpler world where you judged a man not by the content of his character but the three digits of his batting average. A world where the only chad that was hanging was Pennington, and the value of bonds was set by how many home runs Barry hit. Economics is whatever ARod will make, social justice is Michael Vick in a Virginia jail cell, and green is the color of the monster in left field at Fenway.

To Bob and Keith I say this. How rude of you to barge into my happy neighborhood with your candles and your CFL light bulbs. Sunday night we invited you into our homes for a football game, not a lecture in group think.

I'll read the news about the environment, I'll decide what I do and don't believe, and I'll do what I think is appropriate to be a good steward of the environment.

Meanwhile, turn on the lights and get back to work.

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/Dudski/
    2007/11/06/Save_The_EnvironmentTurn_Off_Keith_Olbermann

-------------------------
    My sentiments, too.

:)
  2. Iago33

Iago33 Well-Known Member

1,447 Messages
    52 Likes Received
    Funny. I was wondering myself how sending people to the ends of the earth and setting up a camera crew there was going to help the environment. Strange logic some people have.
  3. fiveandcounting

fiveandcounting New Member

1,592 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Heed these words you post Angus, this article says "how rude to lecture."
    As someone who has posted 2,200 you should know better than to use this forum for politics. I enjoy this message board specifically because I know I can avoid the righties that saturate unmoderated groups. Next time post in the political forum as the boards rules state.
  4. Angus

Angus Active Member

5,064 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Dudski is political?

:rolleyes:
  5. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,893 Messages
    4,243 Likes Received
    Global warming, environmental and topics of the like are indeed going to be moved to the political zone because you will always have the right and left people going on and on about it.
  6. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Yes but is Global Warming real?

:D
  7. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,031 Messages
    2,815 Likes Received
    Yes it is real, only debate is why? According to many the earth has been many climate changes over it's history even before man.
  8. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,033 Messages
    143 Likes Received
    Which, of course, does not contradict the idea that we may be added to that climate change.

It's here, unless you remember a time in living memory when the Northwest Passage existed through the Arctic.

And the idea that the human population could go from 1 to 6 billion, with the related exponential explosion in poisonous and harmful industrial wastes, without having some effect on enviornmental patterns seems rather strained to me.

Exactly what's appropriate for the response? Well, that is the rub, isn't it?
  9. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,591 Messages
    1,559 Likes Received
    The earth has been through MUCH more drastic climate changes (ice age, anyone?) long before man was around. Now we could be causing problems of our own-certainly possible- no arguement there. BUT those that claim GLobal Warming has been caused THIS time by humans are tryiing to claim it is FACT when it is only THEORY. ANd their willing shills in the media and entertainment world keep repeating that LIE.
  10. BrAinPaiNt

60,893 Messages
    4,243 Likes Received
    ...and their off :laugh2:

Righty Right is the lead jockey riding the horse named It's all a Farce
    Lefty Left is the jockey in second riding the horse named We're all gonna die

Who wins nobody knows.
  11. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,031 Messages
    2,815 Likes Received
    Does man have any impact I'm sure we do however we do not know if this is a cycle the earth is going through or not. There is a lot we don't know and while I'm all for doing research I'm not for the scare tactic that the liberals love to throw out there. These idiots want to say well 20 years from now this is how it will be and yet they can’t get 3 fricken days of weather right yet they know for sure what things will be like 20 years from now please.
  12. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    And it's We're all gonna Die at the finish...just nipping It's all a Farce and coming in third it's Al Gore is a Idiot.

[IMG]
  13. AtlCB

AtlCB Active Member

3,683 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Al Gore is an Idiot must have sustained an injury. Normally, this horse would win in a landslide. His only real competition when health is George Bush is an Idiot, Ted Kennedy is a drunk, and Hilliary Clinton is a Shrill.
  14. BrAinPaiNt

60,893 Messages
    4,243 Likes Received
    Behind the bush, in the background, is Byrd staggering around yammering something about bed sheets.
  15. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
  16. AtlCB

AtlCB Active Member

3,683 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2:

[IMG]

[IMG]