1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Our "Sean Lee" at OLB

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by SDogo, Jan 22, 2012.

1. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Spencer has a great motor, and if people don't like him, they won't like this guy either.
  2. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    If Spencer were drafted in the 4th round people wouldn't be so upset about him.

Spencer is a good pursuit player but he is far from relentless and attacking when going up against an OT. He is content to get upfield and flail away with his arms. He rarely bullrushes and does not have an inside counter. He lacks the burst and body lean ability to get by as an outside rusher. He is an extremely limited players as an edge pass rusher. That is where I was commenting about his motor - he just doesn't attack OTs when lined up at DE.

I see this guy as another version of Spencer but maybe he'll be able to develop some pass rush moves.
  3. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,909 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    What's funny about that?
  4. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,717 Messages
    686 Likes Received
    @WesBunting

Been impressed with #BoiseState LB Shea McClellin..guy is doing everything asked of him, sneaky athlete, versatile, can reach QB #SeniorBowl
  5. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,406 Messages
    1,674 Likes Received
    I like him but have a hard time figuring out where he's going to play. He's not big enough to play 3-4 DE, and not athletic enough, imo, to play OLB.

I like the kid, but don't know that he has the physical ability to bring much to the table here.
  6. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    yup........
  7. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    - OLB Shea McCLellin of Boise State continues to impress since making the move to linebacker. He destroyed several running backs and fullbacks this morning in pass-rushing drills in which he simulated standing up over a tackle.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...owl.practice.tuesday/index.html#ixzz1kY7thmuG

- Shea McClellin of Boise State looks better every day at the linebacker position. He's been planted in the middle today and has done a great job remaining patient with assignments, smoothly moving across the field and showing a good degree of awareness.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...l.practice.wednesday/index.html#ixzz1kY6gI7GT

Diggin it. Hopefully Dallas can get him. Although if he keeps kicking *** he might move up a bit.
  8. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Its funny because.. like your new best friend and hero, Sean Lee, you have no idea who this player is and won't know a thing about him until you start reading draft profiles and other people's opinions of him.. and yet in a year or two, you'll be proclaiming to all of us how you found him and how you told everyone he'd be a star if he starts to play well.
  9. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received

Thats my biggest fear, knew this was coming but good for him. If Dallas is interested they might have to pounce in Rd2.
  10. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

18,064 Messages
    1,740 Likes Received
    Yeah, never takes a play off, just ask him...
  11. stasheroo

18,064 Messages
    1,740 Likes Received
    I've been looking at him recently myself and the news from the Senior Bowl looks better each and every day (or worse, depending on how you look at it).

I think he'll be a late 2nd or early 3rd rounder.

People will be looking to get the next Ryan Kerrigan.
  12. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,905 Messages
    1,010 Likes Received
    Just by watching the video he looks like a solid football player; maybe not a superstar but definitely can be a key piece to any defense! Maybe a 3rd round prospect?
  13. Hoofbite

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    Dude is getting some attention.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...essing-scouts-with-versatility-at-senior-bowl

14. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Never said he took a play off.. ever.
  15. stasheroo

18,064 Messages
    1,740 Likes Received
    Please.

Don't talk to me about the 'motor' of a guy who admitted himself he didn't consistantly give his all.
  16. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    I wasn't talking to you at all, just stating that his motor isn't the problem when half of his sacks and pressures come from continued pursuit of the play. He admitted he didn't work hard enough in practice, and it translated to stupid mistakes in the games. Im sick of seeing him crucified over a strict self evaluation that he was giving himself, when no one else on the team has stepped up and admitted they didn't give a crap last year either and took plays and entire games off because our whole team was guilty of it.
  17. stasheroo

18,064 Messages
    1,740 Likes Received
    And continued underperformance when it mattered most.

Credit to him for admitting it.

Shame on him for having to admit it.

He's a disappointment.

A player we've waited several years on, in the hopes that he would improve.

He hasn't.

I hope they do not resign him and overpay for average play. It's one thing to put up with it when you've already invested a first round draft pick. It's another to willingly do it again when you've seen the actual results for several years.
  18. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    If we can get him for a reasonable contract, we have bigger holes to fill. If he asks too much, Ingram, Upshaw, or Curry are all available for us in the draft.
  19. stasheroo

18,064 Messages
    1,740 Likes Received
    What do you think of Ahmad Brooks? I prefer signing him to re-signing Spencer myself.
  20. Hoofbite

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    Hell yes.