1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Our "Sean Lee" at OLB

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by SDogo, Jan 22, 2012.

1. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    I don't know man.. if we could get him for cheaper, then maybe. I think it'd be pretty close to a lateral move though. Don't see Brooks putting up significantly better numbers than Spencer, if he even put up the same. If we can't resign Spencer, i'd prefer to look to the draft at either Ingram, Upshaw, or Curry.

As for FA's, i want Campbell far and away more than any other DE/OLB available. If we can't get him, Avril or a draft pick would be my next choice.
  2. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

18,129 Messages
    1,826 Likes Received
    I can tell from your reply that you have OLB higher on your 'wish list' than I do.

My investment wouldn't be as significant as yours.
  3. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    If it wasn't high up on yours, you'd be fine with resigning an above average player like Spencer to a reasonable contract extension.
  4. stasheroo

18,129 Messages
    1,826 Likes Received
    I think we'd have to define what 'reasonable' was.

As well as 'above average'.

I don't think of either when I think of resigning Spencer.

I'd just as soon use a combination of Victor Butler and the player whose thread we have now hijacked.
  5. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    I look at Spencer's overall numbers the past 3 years, and i see an above average OLB. You talk about a guy like Ahmad Brooks.

Same age. Same size. Less production. What's the appeal there?

I do think DL is more important though.. which is why i'd like to sign Campbell so badly and draft a NT with one of our first 3 picks or sign Soliai.
  6. stasheroo

18,129 Messages
    1,826 Likes Received
    Money is a big factor. I keep hearing 'reasonable' associated with Spencer, but seldom do I read what amount people actually mean by 'reasonable'.

We disagree significantly here. Not saying you're wrong, just that we disagree.
  7. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    You don't think DL is more important to upgrade than OLB for this team?
  8. stasheroo

18,129 Messages
    1,826 Likes Received
    To be honest, no.

I would rather get a true nose tackle and shift Ratliff to end. I think it would be the more cost-effective move and would allow for another OLB to be signed.
  9. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,595 Messages
    9,790 Likes Received
    You're splitting hairs comparing DL to OLB in a 3-4 anyway. Those outside backers are essentially DEs a good portion of the time.
  10. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    So you said OLB wasn't high on your priority list, DL isn't high on your priority list either apparently.. are you just completely full of crap or do you really not think those are two areas we need major upgrades in to be a better D next year?
  11. stasheroo

18,129 Messages
    1,826 Likes Received

I'm not interested in the team spending big money on either spot.

If that makes me 'full of crap' in your eyes? So be it.

I'd rather see it spent on OG Carl Nicks and CB Terrell Thomas.

We all have our opinions and what we'd do if it were up to us.
  12. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    It doesn't, im just shocked that after last season you don't see the need for major upgrades in the pass rush dept. We got dominated in the trenches on both sides of the ball and it all starts up front, imo. We need to get consistent pressure if we want to become a good defense. We need to dominate the LOS.
  13. stasheroo

18,129 Messages
    1,826 Likes Received
    I think someone other than Ware needs to step up for sure, but I'd rather pay $4 - $5 million for Brooks than $9 for a Calais Campbell at DE and try to draft a young option like McClellin.

And I believe that getting a true nose tackle and shifting Ratliff outside will help a great deal.

My front seven would look like this:

Spears/Lissemore - Casey Hampton (if the Steelers released him or another mid-range veteran option) - Ratliff/Hatcher

Ware - Lee - Carter - Brooks
  14. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    If Rat gets moved to DE that'd be good.. but we'd still need a big upgrade at NT and if people don't like Spencer, an upgrade at OLB too. Aside from the OL, i think DL is our biggest area we need to address. We have to start dominating in the trenches.

Depending on who is available, i'd say CB/OLB in the first round, DL/CB/OLB in the second and DL/OLB in the third round.
  15. stasheroo

18,129 Messages
    1,826 Likes Received
    My early draft 'wish list' goes like this:

1st - OG DeCastro
    2nd - CB Boykin
    3rd - OLB McClellin