1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Out of Place and Unnecessary Rueage Thread... JJ Watt over Tyron Smith

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Erik_H, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Erik_H

Erik_H Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun. Zone Supporter

2,451 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    With all the random rueage out there, I thought I throw one out as well. For the fun of it. Kinda like picking at a scab.

As a disclaimer, our need was (and still is) immense at O Line so I agreed with our choice of Tyron Smith at the #9 spot two years back. It was the smart move. Tyron still has time to develop into a top flight LT, but he's not there yet.

Just imagining our defense with JJ watt playing next to Demarcus Ware.

Thats all.
  2. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

10,392 Messages
    5,917 Likes Received
    according to some if we drafted jj watt then romo would be in a casket right now.
  3. hornitosmonster

hornitosmonster Well-Known Member

4,420 Messages
    441 Likes Received
    The Arizona Cardinals have a pretty good defense. That really helped them get to the...oh wait.

Line had to be addressed. No Rueage about Tyron Smith because he was the picked we needed.
  4. Fmart322

Fmart322 Well-Known Member

1,057 Messages
    165 Likes Received
    We should have drafted for OL this year too.
  5. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,389 Messages
    578 Likes Received
    i rue all the non picks.

heck i remember when dallas had the 11th pick and people acted like there wouldnt be anyone worthy at that pick.

You cant pick em all and you dont know whos going to do what.

Sitting there rueing a pick is like waiting for an asteroid to hit the planet.
  6. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Well, the silver lining is that THIS year at our draft slot we can land a high quality OC, OG, or OT. In Round 1 or Round 2. And we can possibly even land a starting OC in Round 3.

I still hope after we cut Free we go out in FA and pick up at least one of those OL positions. Would make the draft a heck of a lot easier . . . .
  7. koolaid

koolaid Drink Me

1,766 Messages
    75 Likes Received
    I rue every Wisconsin player we don't draft :laugh2:
  8. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

13,163 Messages
    864 Likes Received
    I know. I think about what our defense would look like with Watt and Ware on it.
  9. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

6,108 Messages
    1,882 Likes Received
    Marcus Spears over Aaron Rodgers in 2005?
  10. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,492 Messages
    2,373 Likes Received
    Or any player taken before Brady
  11. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

6,415 Messages
    2,259 Likes Received
    I had not read anything today on this board, and the first thing I came across is the silly argument about Jerry and who makes the final decision on players. I made this EXACT point in that thread just two minutes ago.

Good eye. I think this is a HUGE point of order as to how this team has been built and why they continue to be middle of the road.

Had the GM been quietly taking quality linemen all along, and I think back to what Jerry called the special teams drafts where Dallas missed on two different offensive linemen that day by taking a shlub, and then over reacting in the Tyron draft when the answer to the defense was there, it breaks my heart.

Nice thread and great call.
  12. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,138 Messages
    6,919 Likes Received
    My memory is fuzzy, but I do believe Wade wanted JJ Watts, but IIRC, the organization rated them both pretty high on their board. Not sure who was ranked higher than the other, but I think the org would've drafted Watts if Tyron wasn't there.
  13. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

6,415 Messages
    2,259 Likes Received
    To be sure WG I am playing the hindsight card, which is not fair.

But like Erik said, what would this defense have looked like with Watt and Ware?

Oh my!
  14. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,023 Messages
    2,258 Likes Received
    It was the right call at the time.

Both were freak athletes at positions of need.

I'm ok with their decision.
  15. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

10,392 Messages
    5,917 Likes Received
    wg, rob ryan wanted jj. as did i, i was one of his biggest advocates when i used to post on the true blue forums.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/blogs/blue-st...anted-To-Draft-JJ-Watt-In-2011-172700611.html
  16. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

6,108 Messages
    1,882 Likes Received
    As of now, Watt is clearly the better player.

Watt just completed quite possibly the greatest single season any 3-4 DE has ever had.

Smith, we've been told for the past two years, is oozing with potential and has All-Pro in his future.... although I think a lot of us were surprised this year when he basically played just OK... maybe not as well as he did at RT when he was a rookie.

Ok, he is very young and moved to LT -- we can give him a pass.

If he plays just OK next year, then the rueing can begin with full vigor.
  17. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,023 Messages
    2,258 Likes Received
    Tyron was never with Wade.
  18. WoodysGirl

67,138 Messages
    6,919 Likes Received
    Oh yeah, Watts is a beast for sure. I live in Houston, so I get to see him ALL the time.

I think the argument is while Tyron is not the sexy pick, you couldn't go wrong with either one.

Would've been nice if we could've gotten both, right? :cool:
  19. WoodysGirl

67,138 Messages
    6,919 Likes Received
  20. Blue Eyed Devil

Blue Eyed Devil Active Member

474 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    It all goes back to the 2009 draft that set this team back for years.

2nd round pick there was Phil Loadholdt, Sebastian Vollmer, and Will Beatty on the board. Dallas was looking for a tackle. They passed on all 3, instead tradding down to get Robert Brewster. Loadholdt, Vollmer, and Beatty have all become above-average starters on their teams, Brewster is out of the NFL.

We know JJ Watt was a Dallas darling with many reports linking the Cowboys to Watt. If Dallas already had 2 starting OTs on the roster in Doug Free and Phil Loadholdt in 2011 do they draft a 3rd OT Tyron Smith or do they draft JJ Watt? If Dallas has JJ Watt on the team do they miss the post-season the past 2 years?