1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Outstanding article by Michael Silver on Goodell versus labor

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by RS12, May 5, 2011.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,396 Messages
    1,263 Likes Received
    Player resentment for Goodell grows

Years from now, when I look back on the 2011 NFL draft, I’m guessing that Cam Newton’s(notes) broad smile, Thomas Dimitroff’s bold gamble and Larry Fitzgerald’s(notes) plush open-air living room will likely be among the enduring images.

Most of all, however, I’ll remember the continuous and cacophonous beatings Roger Goodell took atop the Radio City Music Hall stage.

It’s no fun being the NFL commissioner during a work stoppage, and I’m not surprised that many fans embraced the opportunity to take out their frustrations on the easiest and most available target during last Thursday night’s first round. Far more striking were the reactions of numerous players with whom I’ve communicated in recent days and who derived a sadistic pleasure in seeing Goodell squirm.

Thanks to the magic of text-messaging technology, I got a real-time sense of that sentiment during the first round. Said one Pro Bowl player in response to Goodell being booed: “As he should. He’s trying to [expletive] us.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...ilver_players_hatred_for_goodell_grows_050411
  2. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,106 Messages
    1,129 Likes Received
    I kinda got lost on a couple of parts.

Of course he wants a deal. I don't think anybody thinks differently. He just wants the deal the owners want. Why remain positive? What would separate Goodell from any commissioner ever in any sport, regardless of how bad they were at being ANY commissioner EVER?

How about Goodell claiming that 'the fans want 18 football games' when that's clearly not the case according to polls? Or the other *lies* he's told us?

Seriously....if all it takes is for the commissioner to 'sincerely want a deal done' to remain positive about him....then how could you EVER criticize ANY commissioner in ANY sport?

Yeah, realy unenviable position....making $10 million a year (before he reduced his salary). Nobody said being the commissioner is easy, but at that price tag it shouldn't be easy.

But, guess what?

Goodell has actually taken the EASY way out. Instead of having the courage to stand up to the ownership and tell them how things need to be done for the best for the league, he took the easy way out and became a stooge. Either that or he really believes in the owner's demands and behavior. Which would make him greedy and ignorant. Tough feeling sorry for the greedy and ignorant in my book.

I don't think Tags wanted to advise the owners on things they didn't want to hear either, but he knew it was in everybody's best interest. That was not the easy way out.

YR
  3. Eric_Boyer

Eric_Boyer Well-Known Member

4,542 Messages
    316 Likes Received
    I can't wait to see the players getting booed. see how these mealy mouthed spoiled punks react.
  4. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,507 Messages
    6,257 Likes Received
    Yeah. You and Garrett both have a hard time with that word 'outstanding.'

Here's a gem, though. Let's hope it didn't come from a Cowboy, because it's something my 8 year old would think is juvenile.

5. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

14,968 Messages
    431 Likes Received
    Tagliabue absolutely took the easy way out on *his* way out the door. Everyone knew the old CBA was only a short-term solution (that's why it had a built in opt-out after only two years), but he didn't care. He was determined to get out unscathed and leave the NFL's problems to his successor, and now Goodell has to deal with them.

I'm sure that Goodell and the owners could come up with another crummy short-term CBA yesterday, but the *hard* way of doing things is to sacrifice for the long term. For Goodell, if it means muddling through the 2011 offseason, being called "Goon-dell" by the players, being booed by the fans and maybe even losing some regular-season games, it will be well worth it if it results in a long-term CBA that keeps the league growing for the next 10-20 years and ends up benefiting both the owners and the players. THAT is the hard way, not the easy way.
  6. SaltwaterServr

SaltwaterServr Blank Paper Offends Me

8,124 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Here, here.
  7. Yakuza Rich

12,106 Messages
    1,129 Likes Received
    The owners made a ton of money since that last CBA. It wasn't until the housing crisis...in particular in '09...when some owners were crying financial foul.

And if you ever look at the ******** investigation into the MLB financial statements that show that Selig is a liar and the owners are liars when it comes to the financial health of MLB...it's not a big logical leap to believe that the NFL owners are cut from the same cloth. And since they didn't want to show their financials, they didn't help their claims of financial woe.

And the only owners that didn't like the last CBA and let it be know at the time it was signed were Mike Brown and Ralph Wilson.

The players and De Smith have repeatedly said that they would be willing to take less money if that's what the owners truly needed. But when the owners demanded a giant cut in pay and wanted to add 2 extra regular season games, the NFLPA wasn't buying their claims of having that much financial strife.

No, the easy way is to do what Goodell has done...be a corporate stooge for the owners and let them run this thing into the ground. It wasn't like Tags put a gun to these owners heads and outside of Wilson and Brown, the others seemed content enough to sign that CBA in '06.

Had Goodell decided to take his stooge hat off for a bit and say 'your demands are too high and the 18 game season shouldn't even be mentioned because it will be rejected and will tick off the players', the owners probably could've gotten more of their money back.

There's nothing 'hard' about being a stooge and then being called 'Goondell.' There's nothing hard about being a stooge and then getting your arse handed to you every step of the way in court. It's just stupidity and bad results usually happen when you make stupid decisions.

YR
  8. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,119 Messages
    2,927 Likes Received
    Funny thing though is after the boo's Goodell heard on day 1 when they showed him out in the crowd on day 3 many fans where getting their pictures taken with him and getting his autograph. :laugh2:
  9. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

14,968 Messages
    431 Likes Received
    Huh? The owners opted out of the old CBA in May 2008.

Plenty of owners knew that it was a short-term deal and that they'd likely be opting out only two years later -- that's why it was built in -- but they desperately wanted to get a deal done to avoid a work stoppage. It was a deal they could live with in the short term. They thought they'd be able to work something out for the long term before 2011, but at the time, they didn't anticipate the depth of the recession or the death of Gene Upshaw.

To quote Goodell: "We all were making an effort to try to keep labor peace. We reached an agreement that we knew was going to be pushing the envelope. After two years of living within that system, we recognize that it doesn't work long term for us. That's the way it goes."

Like I said, the easy way is to find a short-term solution. Tagliabue did that, and it obviously did not work, because the league is in a huge mess right now. The hard way is to do whatever it takes to reach a long-term solution, no matter what the short-term costs are. That's what Goodell is trying to do. So call him names if it makes you feel better, but if the sides eventually reach a long-term agreement that keeps the league prospering for 10-20 years, you'll owe him thanks.
  10. MarionBarberThe4th

MarionBarberThe4th Well-Known Member

11,875 Messages
    81 Likes Received

What was so crummy about it?

Well Im glad they toughed it out. Sounds rough
  11. MarionBarberThe4th

MarionBarberThe4th Well-Known Member

11,875 Messages
    81 Likes Received
    Despite the tone of the post I wasnt coming at you. Just the idea of missing an extremely profitable season for no reason bothers me
  12. Yakuza Rich

12,106 Messages
    1,129 Likes Received
    Adam, this is illogical.

I think we can agree, that in all likelihood if a CBA is finalized, the financials will looking *nothing* like Goodell's initial demands.

Also, Goodell was heavily pushing thru an 18-game season.

The only thing that really changed things is when the owners lost the lockout insurance. Goodell supported the owners having lockout insurance.

So, let's add this up:

1. Financial agreement nowhere near what Goodell was initially demanding.

2. No 18-game season.

Why in the world would anybody give Goodell thanks if an agreement is finalized that looks nothing like the agreement that Goodell steadfastly tried to enforce on the players?

It's like if I were to write a script for a Halloween horror movie and somebody took it over and turned it into the 'Titanic' and then me wanting credit for the finished product. It's preposterous.

He's lost every step of the way so far...except for recently where he got the court to bring back the lockout.

Thanks, Rog. :bang2:

YR
  13. Double Trouble

Double Trouble Well-Known Member

8,475 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    :hammer:
  14. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Goodell's supposed 'concern for the longterm health of our players' while declaring a demand for an 18 game season just days later exposed him as a complete and utter phony. He's a politician who comes from a family of politicians and who cut his teeth in the NFL PR Department. In otherwords, he is a born and bred con-artist and BS shoveler.

What a load of sentimental tripe.
  15. Doomsday101

77,119 Messages
    2,927 Likes Received
    Why would owners start a negotiation process asking for less? I'm sure they fully expected to get less than they were asking.

As for losing? no one has won or lost anything as of yet
  16. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member

3,850 Messages
    694 Likes Received
    "Became a stooge"? He's an employee of the owners. He represents their interests. That's his job. They tell him what to do and he does it. I don't know whether he argues with them or not, but at the end of the day, he either does what he's told, quits, or gets fired.
  17. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Which is why the commissioner position is completely meaningless. Just do away with it already, and nominate a "head of the owners" and give the NFL their Bud Selig. You can claim that Goodell isn't a joke, but in doing so you're saying his job certainly is.
  18. Doomsday101

77,119 Messages
    2,927 Likes Received

Right so Jerry could be named and no one would accuse him of a conflict of interest? Same with any owner who took on the role of Commissioner

Selig transferred his ownership interest in the Brewers to his daughter Wendy Selig-Prieb in order to remove any technical conflicts of interest, though it was widely presumed he maintained some hand in team operations. Although the team has been sold to Los Angeles investor Mark Attanasio, questions remain regarding Selig's past involvement. Selig's defenders point to the poor management of the team after Selig-Prieb took control as proof that Selig was not working behind the scenes.