1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

P90 workout - Questions and comments

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by BraveHeartFan, Feb 23, 2012.

1. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,166 Messages
    381 Likes Received
    So I've decided to once again attempt to make my fat, lazy, out of shape butt start doing something about being a fat, lazy, out of shape butt.

With that in mind I started to think about what to do. I have P90x and Insanity and I've done a round of P90x before. The problem was that I skipped quite a few workouts during the 90 days and struggled on many other because the program is so much more advanced that it's very tough for a guy like myself whose so far out of shape to keep myself motivated to do it properly.

Don't get me wrong they're fantastic programs and two programs I look to hopefully get into and do properly, and get the most out of it, by years in.

So with that said I decided to go out and get the lower version, the first version, of P90 and give it a go. I'm looking, right now, at doing a couple rounds of it (6 months) and see where I can get and then decide rather I'm ready to move onto P90x.

Has anyone else ever used the P90 program? If so did you like it? Was it difficult to stay motivated? How exactly did you go about picking which work outs to do when?

I'm starting on Monday. This weekend I'm going to go out and get the right types of food for the house to go with the workouts and get my vitamin supplements and stuff that I need. Hopefully in the next 6 months I can stay motivated like I need to, eat right and workout hard and like I'm supposed to, and try to lose about 60 pounds in that time. It's a lofty goal but I'm definately wanting to make the attempt.

Anyone else interested in starting a workout system on Monday and having some sort of topic here on the forums where we can post each day and be accountable to one another? I'd love to have something here where we all motivate one another and give each other advice and help.
  2. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

26,654 Messages
    2,791 Likes Received
    I've done p90x and Insanity. Not p90. The p90x workouts were very solid, I thought, but the time commitment was a PITA. Insanity was more manageable, b/c I could complete a workout in the time it took to watch a Netflix hour-long show (with the commercials removed).

I'd be up for some sort of accountability topic. Right now, I'm just running intervals 3-4 times/week and doing an hour of kickboxing with my oldest. I'm looking for a remote partner to help me train for a light 10k run or two or maybe a half-century this summer. Not looking to do anything crazy, but really to find 5-6 guys in my situation to help keep me motivated.
  3. Wimbo

Wimbo Active Member

4,133 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I've done P90x. I liked it, but it was hard to stay motivated after 2 months. I have had better luck by joining a gym with a friend & holding each other accountable. My gym offers lots of free classes for members, so I go to Pilates on Mondays, Yoga on Tuesdays, strength/core circuit on Wednesday, spin on Thursday, and lift heavy & core with my friend on Fridays. In a couple of months I will change it up again to keep it from getting stale.
    workout with Friends = accountability
    regular class = accountability
    accountability = better chance of success

Also, find an activity you enjoy (tennis, soccer, cycling, jogging, softball, etc) and join a team that has regular practices and games/matches/races/etc. It will keep you motivated & provide you with a fun way to stay in shape. There are groups for all levels, and you will meet new people as well.
  4. Bill Wooten

Bill Wooten Active Member

593 Messages
    27 Likes Received
    I did P90 a couple of years ago. You won't need to do two rounds. You will be bored out of your skull after 90 days. When I completed it, I went straight to P90X and wished I had done so after 2 months with P90. It is a great program to get you going. A good mix of strength and cardio exercises.

I like the Ab Ripper that comes with P90 MUCH better than Ab Ripper X.
  5. SaltwaterServr

SaltwaterServr Blank Paper Offends Me

8,124 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm doing a mixture of a few workouts from Insanity. I have a somewhat screwed up lower back so a lot of the jumping stuff I have to cut out. I went through a few of the DVD's and wrote out my own mix and match workouts that all fit in place of one of the regular DVD's. Depending on the day, I switch out different exercises and keep up with what's going on the TV.

I've been hitting the Upper Body Weight Training 3 times a week as well.
  6. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,166 Messages
    381 Likes Received
    Excellent information here folks.

Thanks for the tip on the P90. I'll keep that in mind as I go through it this first time. I think it will all depend on how well it works and if I feel good about the move up. I just don't want to move myself back up to the much harder one if I know I'm not ready and won't give it the full effort it needs to get the best results out of it.

I'll try to keep this up to date with what I do each day, starting on Monday, so hopefully this thread doesn't get lost in the shuffle and will hopefully keep some of us coming back and staying accountable.
  7. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    My best advice is to get a gym membership. Planet fitness has a black card (so you can bring a friend) and lots of machine weights, which I like to use because of my tendons/joints at 35. But they have free weights and they have good deals. I recommend doing high repetition of low weights to start out and definitely do cardio mixed with weight training.

Good luck!
  8. CowboyWay

CowboyWay If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State

4,163 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    I did P90X about 6 months ago. I loved it. Here are my few tips........

1.Set a time every night to do it (or morning, but night is better for me). And flat out DO IT. No exceptions. Even if you don't want to do it, tell yourself you are only going to do 15 minutes of it. You will find that once you get to the 15 minute mark, you will push yourself to finish it.

2. Watch what you eat. If you eat the same old crap, you won't see the pounds come off, hence you won't be as motivated to keep doing it. Once you see the lbs come off, that is all the motivation you need to keep doing it, so eat well.

3. Forget the chin up bar. It is hard, especially if you are really out of shape. Just do some push ups instead, or some free weights and lift them when he is doing the chin ups.

My wife and I were doing it for a couple months, and were really enjoying it. Then we went on vacation and when we came back, we found it very hard to restart it. So, and I can't stress this enough, DON"T STOP. If you stop for even a week, you won't want to start again.

No doubt about it though, the program works. Especially if you eat right. I wouldn't focus on the meals they tell you to eat. Just eat sensibly. No fast food, eat more veggies than normal, and eat leaner foods like turkey and chiceken. The lbs will start falling off of you.

Also, if you find yourself losing motivation, I found it helpful and go to youtube and watch the before and after videos of P90X. It can help get you over the hump somedays.
  9. CowboyWay

CowboyWay If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State

4,163 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    That is a pretty good idea. In fact, why not put it out for everyone, kind a P90X challenge. Everyone who wants to participate can say so on the thread. All of us start on a specific day and we put our weight in. Every week, we update with our new weights.

Might keep many of us motivated, and accountable like another poster said.

I tore my ACL about 6 weeks ago, so I can't do too many things, but I would still start it with everyone else, I just wouldn't be able to do some of the things the video has you do.
  10. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

6,036 Messages
    274 Likes Received
    I tried the P90 program. Didn't make it but a few weeks because it was so boring.
  11. Idgit

26,654 Messages
    2,791 Likes Received
    Any Crossfit nuts in here by any chance?
  12. tomson75

tomson75 Brain Dead Shill

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  13. tomson75

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Not a nut...but it's pretty hard to top it. I can't afford the 100+ a week to join a gym (without incurring the wrath of my wife), but I have some of the basic equipment (med. ball, rope, kettles) and incorporate it into my workouts along with P90x. Haven't done Insanity, but it looks like a good program.

I will, however be joining a CF box as soon as I leave Florida. I miss burpees (not).
  14. CowboyMcCoy

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Planet fitness, I think, you can get memberships there for a lot cheaper than that.
  15. gmoney112

gmoney112 Well-Known Member

2,824 Messages
    111 Likes Received
    P90 is great.

If you're a 90 year old female.
  16. Idgit

26,654 Messages
    2,791 Likes Received
    Good to know what the gym fees are, more or less. There's one on the way home from work. I've been toying with the idea of stopping in, but was expecting it to be ~$200/month or so. I'll still probably check it out. I'm dreading that level of commitment to a workout, but felling like I really need to kickstart things again.
  17. ka0tik

ka0tik DALLAS

2,845 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    I started the P90x workout for a month, and stopped doing it. i regret it. i once again have restarted, but im focusin more on my 'upper body' so im juss doing my 'Chest n back' + 'Arms n shoulders'.

Im no model, but i certainly aint 'fat'. im 150 lbs 5'8. im juss really looking to tone my body, more than lose any type of fat. im not obsessed with abs, since i think im not committed enough for a diet.

good luck tho', keep at it.
  18. tomson75

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    CF fees range from box to box, but most are typically within $100-175/mo, with most offering discounts for military, police, firefighters, etc.

I highly recommend joining, even if it's only twice a week. You'll learn (or re-learn) some of the most explosive movements you can do for your body. Getting in there and mixing things up with deadlifts, cleans, front squats, burpees, sprints, and all sorts of explosion exercises.....you'll find yourself constantly interested and motivated. Also constantly sore. CF is hard as hell, but it's fun and challenging....and you usually have other CFer's pushing you harder than you would by yourself. Mix it up with your other routines...I run, do P90x, and my own WODs at home.
  19. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,186 Messages
    1,464 Likes Received
    Crossfit gyms are charging $100-200 per month? Good god.
  20. CowboyMcCoy

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    I pay about 200 per year at planet fitness. To each is own, I guess.