1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Palin won't reveal her finances until after debate

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Sep 25, 2008.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,145 Messages
    6,940 Likes Received
    By SHARON THEIMER, Associated Press Writer
    1 hour, 32 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - Sarah Palin requested and received an extension of the deadline for revealing her personal finances, until the day after her only debate with Democrat Joe Biden.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Republican vice presidential candidate received a four-day extension Thursday from the Federal Election Commission.

The federal financial disclosure report was initially due next Monday. Now, Palin has until Oct. 3, the day after her debate in St. Louis with Biden, the Democratic vice presidential nominee.

Earlier this month, Biden released a decade of personal financial records that showed the veteran U.S. senator from Delaware earned less than many of his congressional colleagues. For example, Biden and his wife, Jill, earned $319,853 in 2007. On Thursday, Biden submitted an updated report to the Federal Election Commission

Presidential, vice presidential and congressional candidates must all file ethics reports outlining their assets and liabilities. That includes such things as sources of income, real estate held for investment purposes, stocks and debt.

Trevor Potter, general counsel for the McCain-Palin campaign, told the FEC that the campaign initially thought it had until Oct. 4 to file the report, but then learned the FEC set an earlier due date.

"Most importantly, because Governor Palin has not previously run for federal office, it is clear to us that additional time is required to compile and prepare Governor Palin's financial information," Potter wrote. "As you are well aware, the Executive Branch financial disclosure form is vastly more complex than most state disclosure forms, and requires the assemblage of a quantity and level of detail far beyond that reported previously by the governor in Alaska and therefore readily available."

In granting the extension, the FEC said that if Palin requests still more time, the last possible due date would be Oct. 6.

Palin's federal financial disclosure report will provide the most complete look yet at her assets and liabilities.

For example, it will show whether she and her husband Todd hold any mortgages for real estate investments, and roughly how much any property held for investment purposes is worth. The financial reports that Sarah Palin filed as Alaska governor list property the couple held at that point, but not how much it was worth; how much, if any, profit they made on real estate sales; or how much, if any, mortgage debt they held.

Such information is a standard part of the personal financial disclosure reports that members of Congress, administration officials and federal candidates must file each year. The reports allow the public to see whether politicians may be receiving favorable financial treatment from people with issues before government or have any potential conflicts of interest. They also offer a glimpse of their ability to manage their personal finances.

The financial reports that Palin has filed in Alaska over the years show the Palins have often had several sources of income.

Last year, for example, Sarah Palin earned $125,000 as governor. Her husband took in $46,790 as a part-time oil production operator for BP Alaska in Prudhoe Bay, $46,265 commercial fishing for salmon from June to July in Bristol Bay, and $10,500 in Iron Dog snow machine race winnings.
  2. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    This should surprise no one.

Hell I'll be surprised if she even takes an unscripted question (from a unpicked interviewer) before the election.

:laugh2:
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,471 Messages
    3,796 Likes Received
    Bottom line is she will file her federal financial disclosure as any other candidate has to do. If it is Oct 3rd or 6th does it matter? The election itself is still in Nov.
  4. canters

canters Active Member

1,797 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    Hate to disappoint the anti-Palin crowd, but she is the poorest of the 4 major candidates... non-millionare... no creepy real-estate guys that are in jail now... no rich spouse, etc.
  5. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,260 Messages
    4,584 Likes Received
    To my knowledge biden is not a millionaire either.
  6. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    He made 280,000.00 in 2007. It's hard to believe that someone making that hasn't accumulated some degree of wealth over the past 10 years.

And if he hasn't, he has no business being president or VP since he can't handle money.

Line 28

http://obama.3cdn.net/60dad9a797be0e15e2_f5m6zfdgg.pdf
  7. WoodysGirl

67,145 Messages
    6,940 Likes Received
    minor correction per the article:
  8. canters

canters Active Member

1,797 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    Several outlets of the MSM have said Joe is a millionaire in the past, FWIW. However, in todays climate of bad reporting, who knows?

I think that if you take into account his large home, he is worth at least $1 million bucks.
  9. WoodysGirl

67,145 Messages
    6,940 Likes Received
    He's prolly a millionaire based on investments, but his annual earnings are $300k.

I think if we had to put them in order of wealth, from low to high: Palin, Biden, Obama, McCain.

Tho I haven't seen Obama's 2007 earnings, so he and Biden could actually flip-flop.
  10. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,626 Messages
    412 Likes Received
    Well he is in government so he spends like a politician.
  11. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,941 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    I think last I heard Obama and his wife made over 1 million last year...

Edit:

It was 4.2 million...

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/04/16/politics/main4021321.shtml
  12. canters

canters Active Member

1,797 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    One thing I have often wondered about is how politicians of both parties come to DC as middle class folks, but leave it as wealthy folks. Something is wrong here. LBJ was a poor chicken farmer/politicain in 1959-60 and upon his death, was a very rich man.
  13. canters

canters Active Member

1,797 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    The Obama home is worth well over $1 million. The cynic in me says he got a bunch of help buying the lot it sits on from Resco, the jailbird slumlord and real estate man.
  14. trickblue

28,941 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    I've said that many times...

They come into congress as middle class. They earn 120,000k+ a year then leave office millionaires...

I've always said most should be investigated and thrown in the slammer...
  15. canters

canters Active Member

1,797 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    Be careful,,,Barry has trademarked the phrase, "as I have said many times.":)
  16. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,626 Messages
    412 Likes Received
    There is a reason so many want to be politicians
  17. WoodysGirl

67,145 Messages
    6,940 Likes Received
    Thanks Trick. I can't say I'm too surprised.
    Ha! Hyde Park is a nice neighborhood.

Sidebar: Did you see where some guy got arrested for showing up at Obama's house in Chicago in the middle of the night? He says he was looking for a job. Very odd seeing as he had a gun in the car. Don't recall if it was loaded or not.
  18. trickblue

28,941 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    Soooo... did he get the job?
  19. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Yep. He's the head of Obama's security detail. :D
  20. WoodysGirl

67,145 Messages
    6,940 Likes Received
    :laugh2: I would say no. They arrested him on a wide range of charges. Crazy.